getting impatient with Drury

bottlecap

Note to Chris...This isn't some New England Country Club.

This is Buffalo. You got to produce. You have to bury your

chances. Over-rated players don't last long in Buffalo.

I'm not quite as frustrated as you seem to be. But I have to wonder how he misses the net on a shot from three feet away.

He's creating opportunties for others and he's getting his own opportunities. Not much more you can ask for IMO.

He'll be fine, but zed, on the other hand, might have a breakdown if it's 5 games into the season and he's already getting impatient. :P

I am also somewhat disappointed in Drury. All he seems to excel at, is taking a lot of low percentage wrist shots from the perimeter of the rink. Hopefully he will come around. You would think with his speed and abilities that he could take advantage of the "new" NHL.

Note to Chris...This isn't some New England Country Club.

This is Buffalo. You got to produce. You have to bury your

chances. Over-rated players don't last long in Buffalo.

Hmmm...when I saw the overrated players don't last long in Buffalo, a few thoughts came to mind.

1. Brian Holzinger

2. Dixon Ward

3. Taylor Pyatt

4. Mike Wilson

5. Richard Smehlik

6. Vaclav Varada

7. Yuri Khmylev

8. Ken Sutton

9. Derek Plante

I'm sure their are more but those were just a few off the top of my head. :D

Hmmm...when I saw the overrated players don't last long in Buffalo, a few thoughts came to mind.

1.? Brian Holzinger

2.? Dixon Ward

3.? Taylor Pyatt

4.? Mike Wilson

5.? Richard Smehlik

6.? Vaclav Varada

7.? Yuri Khmylev

8.? Ken Sutton

9.? Derek Plante

I'm sure their are more but those were just a few off the top of my head.?  :D

10. Jason Dawe(ful).

(Also, I would not have included Varada on the list.)

All he seems to excel at, is taking a lot of low percentage wrist shots from the perimeter of the rink.

I think that's called "getting the puck to the net." Anyway, I'm not sure why people feel the need to complain about the co-captain of a team that has eight points in its first five games.

He almost singlehandedly made the play that led to the GWG against the Islanders, and he's done a lot of little things that don't show up on the scoresheet. Measuring him by the number of goals he scores isn't evaluating his true worth; his teammates and his coaches know what he brings to the team.

And anyone who would make that "New England Country Club" crack doesn't know Chris Drury, either as a person or as a hockey player.

The guy busts his butt every shift and is making a ton of plays that other guys just aren't finishing right now, for better or worse. it will start clicking for him. Not to mention he entered the game last night as the best faceoff guy in the NHL so far, an area where the Sabres usually get their butts kicked ...

Give me 20 more like him and I'd be pretty happy. I guess people have to complain about something when they start off 4-1 ...

yea drury is more of a player maker i thought and a leader he does alot more then just score the few goals he does... he sets up plays... forechecks and skates hard. not to mention sets a good example for the younger players... as a side note though personally i don't think he ever wanted to be in buffalo... but thats in the past now... he's here and he's doing a decent job... sure he's not scoring alot but he is in the play and he's makin stuff happen... doesn't always result in a goal but it helps regardless.

yea drury is more of a player maker i thought and a leader he does alot more then just score the few goals he does... he sets up plays... forechecks and skates hard. not to mention sets a good example for the younger players... as a side note though personally i don't think he ever wanted to be in buffalo... but thats in the past now... he's here and he's doing a decent job... sure he's not scoring alot but he is in the play and he's makin stuff happen... doesn't always result in a goal but it helps regardless.

I can't speak for him but I think the contract he signed after getting here should put to rest any thoughts that he "never wanted to be in Buffalo." I don't think he was happy to get shipped to Calgary like he did, that's for sure, but I don't think coming here was a problem for him. He gets to play more often on the East Coast in front of friends and family now, for one thing. And you'll never hear him say anything bad about Buffalo.

Maybe some of your impression stems from the comments he made right after Calgary traded him, which I interpreted to be frustration with Calgary and Colorado, not any displeasure with Buffalo. He'd just been traded twice in a year's time, a stressful year in which he got engaged, got married, and he and his wife were expecting a child. These guys are people, too, remember.

Khmylev?? I don't remember much hype preceeding him. I don't think that much was expected before he got here and I thought he was a rather pleasant surprise. A decent, dependable 2 way player, he was pretty good on the PK and on the forecheck. I don't recall anyone saying he was going to be even that much before he arrived.

Guest brihs2005

If i am not mistaken Khymlev is now a scout with the Sabres... someone correct me if i am wrong...

Ohh yeah, and watch Drury's 2 face-offs at the end of regulation in our own end with 12 seconds to go... 2 CLEAN wins... sorry, outside of miller's great saves, and the three goals, those two faceoffs were the plays of the game for the sabres.

Khmylev?? I don't remember much hype preceeding him. I don't think that much was expected before he got here and I thought he was a rather pleasant surprise. A decent, dependable 2 way player, he was pretty good on the PK and on the forecheck. I don't recall anyone saying he was going to be even that much before he arrived.

Maybe I just had more expectations after his 20 and 27 goal seasons. He never did much after that either due to injury to age. :unsure:

Correct but he didn't last here either.  :P

Oops, my bad, I misread that totally.

Yeah, this franchise has carried some deadweight for a lot longer than it needed to.

Can we put Wayne Primeau on the list then? Erik Rasmussen?

Oops, my bad, I misread that totally.

Yeah, this franchise has carried some deadweight for a lot longer than it needed to.

Can we put Wayne Primeau on the list then?

Good question. He never was given a great scouting report but he always had his brothers shoes to fill. I don't really know if he fits. :huh:

1. Brian Holzinger

2. Dixon Ward

3. Taylor Pyatt

4. Mike Wilson

5. Richard Smehlik

6. Vaclav Varada

7. Yuri Khmylev

8. Ken Sutton

9. Derek Plante

I'm sure their are more but those were just a few off the top of my head. :D

Primeau ought to be there. I liked Varada, though.

Khmylev??? I don't remember much hype preceeding him.? I don't think that much was expected before he got here and I thought he was a rather pleasant surprise.? A decent, dependable 2 way player, he was pretty good on the PK and on the forecheck.? I don't recall anyone saying he was going to be even that much before he arrived.

Don't know about hype, but he had been on the Russian '87 Canada Cup team that played in probably the greatest 3 game hockey series ever.

I think that's called "getting the puck to the net."  Anyway, I'm not sure why people feel the need to complain about the co-captain of a team that has eight points in its first five games.

He almost singlehandedly made the play that led to the GWG against the Islanders, and he's done a lot of little things that don't show up on the scoresheet.  Measuring him by the number of goals he scores isn't evaluating his true worth; his teammates and his coaches know what he brings to the team.

And anyone who would make that "New England Country Club" crack doesn't know Chris Drury, either as a person or as a hockey player.

It's only 5 games into the season, but what I have seen from Drury both in 03-04 and so far this year, makes me believe that the Sabres drastically overpaid for an average player. Yes we have 8 points in 5 games, but I am not stating an opinion on the team as a whole, just the play of Drury.

Like I said in my earlier post...here's hoping he can use his abilities to take advantage of the "new" NHL. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 25 goals and 70 points out of Drury at his salary level.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 25 goals and 70 points out of Drury at his salary level.

I don't think that's unreasonable either, considering that in six years he twice had 65 points in the "old" NHL and last year was the first year he failed to score 20.

It's a dry patch scoring-wise for him, and he will be the first to tell you he should have a couple of goals at least by now, but for pete's sake it's only five games. Aren't there like 75 games left?

As previously noted, he's made plenty of plays that don't show up on the scoresheet.

Archived