Shootouts...

mrjsbu96

I've got to admit, I really enjoyed watching the shootout tonight. I've been playing hockey for 25 years, and officiated for 15, but times change and it definitely brings some excitement to a Monday night yawner - or in today's NHL a good hard-fought Thursday night game.

They aren't using it for playoffs and that is the right move.

What are the other thoughts?

I've got to admit, I really enjoyed watching the shootout tonight. I've been playing hockey for 25 years, and officiated for 15, but times change and it definitely brings some excitement to a Monday night yawner - or in today's NHL a good hard-fought Thursday night game.

They aren't using it for playoffs and that is the right move.

What are the other thoughts?

My thoughts are that I think I think like you think you think. :wacko:

I didn't like the idea of a shootout at all, but I guess I'm warming up to it a bit. Penalty shots are always exciting, and as the 'loser' still gets their point, I don't mind the 'winner' getting the W and the two points.

And I like that they didn't screw around with the sudden death 5-on-5 for the playoffs too.

And I like that they didn't screw around with the sudden death 5-on-5 for the playoffs too.

That's my fear, is that a few years down the road they will mess around with the playoff OT. Yes, a shootout is exciting; but there is NOTHING better than OT in the playoffs.

I just got done watching the Sabres/Lightening game on video. Gotta say, this free preview of Center Ice has me sold on the NHL again. I have seen most of all of the games, except the opener. I was skeptical, but I really like the new rules. The fact that the Lightening got nailed with so many penalties late in the game, and 3 in OT, illustrtates to me that the NHL is serious about taking the game out of the Ice Age (or is it the New Jersey Devils age?).

I guess I am not as up on some of the new rules as some of you. Let me ask a question:

If the Sabres win 4-3 in an overtime shootout, who gets credit for the winning goal? Is it Briere or Vanek, or nobody? The Lightening announcer (who was awful BTW) said that the goals don't count against the goalie, nor do the shots! So, does nobody get credit for the winning goal?

One change I might make in the new rule, is to go straight to the sudden death shootout after the extra OT period is over. As fun as the breakaways are to watch, I think if each team took their best player, and tried to let them match goals, instead of the best of three thing, it would be a bit more dramatic.

Other observations:

The Sabres, god love them, no matter what the rules, seem to be eternally awful on the powerplay. What the hell is their problem? They had a two man advantage for 1:48 in OT, but managed only 1 shot on goal?

The Sabres definitely need to upgrade on defense, unless the NHL is serious, and lets the players skate, and don't let up on the new rules as the season wears on. The Sabres seem loaded with speed, and offensive fire power. I love the fact that the young offensive stars are putting the biscuit in the basket (sorry miss Robotaille) right out of the gate this year...Maxim A has looked great...glad the head injury seems to be behind him.

Ryan Miller is looking like a stud (great stick check, twice on St.Louis on breakaways tonight!), with that Hasek-ian tendancy to let a soft one in now and again.

This is going to be a hell of a fun team to watch this year! Whatever happens to the Bills this year, the Sabres may just help make this a fun autumn...

I just got done watching the Sabres/Lightening game on video. Gotta say, this free preview of Center Ice has me sold on the NHL again. I have seen most of all of the games, except the opener. I was skeptical, but I really like the new rules. The fact that the Lightening got nailed with so many penalties late in the game, and 3 in OT, illustrtates to me that the NHL is serious about taking the game out of the Ice Age (or is it the New Jersey Devils age?).

I guess I am not as up on some of the new rules as some of you. Let me ask a question:

If the Sabres win 4-3 in an overtime shootout, who gets credit for the winning goal? Is it Briere or Vanek, or nobody? The Lightening announcer (who was awful BTW) said that the goals don't count against the goalie, nor do the shots! So, does nobody get credit for the winning goal?

One change I might make in the new rule, is to go straight to the sudden death shootout after the extra OT period is over. As fun as the breakaways are to watch, I think if each team took their best player, and tried to let them match goals, instead of the best of three thing, it would be a bit more dramatic.

Other observations:

The Sabres, god love them, no matter what the rules, seem to be eternally awful on the powerplay. What the hell is their problem? They had a two man advantage for 1:48 in OT, but managed only 1 shot on goal?

The Sabres definitely need to upgrade on defense, unless the NHL is serious, and lets the players skate, and don't let up on the new rules as the season wears on. The Sabres seem loaded with speed, and offensive fire power. I love the fact that the young offensive stars are putting the biscuit in the basket (sorry miss Robotaille) right out of the gate this year...Maxim A has looked great...glad the head injury seems to be behind him.

Ryan Miller is looking like a stud (great stick check, twice on St.Louis on breakaways tonight!), with that Hasek-ian tendancy to let a soft one in now and again.

This is going to be a hell of a fun team to watch this year! Whatever happens to the Bills this year, the Sabres may just help make this a fun autumn...

Sorry, that was me...

Do shootout goals count on the season stats?

Sabre61 is correct. The goal is treated similarly to ENG's in that they are charged/credited to team, not individual players.

Winning team gets credit for 1 goal. (Final score last night 4-3, not 5-3.) Shooters do not have their goal totals adjusted nor credit for GWG. Winning goalie gets a W. Loser gets an OTL. No adjustment to GAA nor SV%.

no lol... vanek is still scoreless... poor guy... ah well he'll score... and score big real soon... hopefully anyway.

Vanek has played like a young stud for 5 games now. He's done everything you could ask except score his first (and subsequent) nhl goal(s). Hopefully the SO will get him going. Panthers beware!

Vanek has played like a young stud for 5 games now. He's done everything you could ask except score his first (and subsequent) nhl goal(s). Hopefully the SO will get him going. Panthers beware!

the panthers game is worrying me actually... they look like they have a half way decent team this year and with luongo in net... its gonna be a tough to score more then 2-3 goals... i remeber last year we could barely put 1 in and we were alll over him... hopefully this year is different.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephen Harper new PM

Anyone know where i can get the stat, shootout goals against?

I've got a 20$ bet Hasek let's in 0 goals in shootout's for the season. :lol:

I hate that a team sport gets decided by individuals. Ties in the regular season didn't bother me at all.

hmm well ive always hated ties... id rather lose... at least it decides something... nothing like playing 2.5 - 3 hours just so you can go home with the same result as you would have if you hadn't played the game cept you both have 1 point... atleast now we know someone is going to win and thats good for us fantasy leauge guys

I think the Hockey News has it in their stats section.

Ok, the stat is in the November 29 Hockey News (Crosby and Ovechkin on cover) on p. 38. As of the press date Hasek faced 5 shots and stopped them all. I am not sure when Ottawa had their last shootout (Too busy with school and traveling for Thanksgiving to watch anyone other than the Sabres the last couple of weeks), so I would double check that he hasn't given any goals up recently.

As for the shootout in general, I've been hoping for it for about 6 years now. I think it is too individualistic with 3 shooters, and they should have 5.

Archived