Eastern Conference Finals, Carolina Hurricanes (2) vs. Buffalo Sabres (4)

Corp000085

This will be one hell of a series. Carolina vs. Buffalo is the dream matchup. I think the senators were pretenders, but carolina, and obviously buffalo are both the real deal. Buffalo was a very young team, but they learned to play smart when the opponent played dirty. They learned to not let up. They learned to close out a series. They learned to not buy into the hype. They learned they can roll 4 lines. They learned they have an all star,clutch goalie. Now they have to learn to get to the Finals.

This will be a big series. I think the sabres are deeper and faster, with a better goalie than the canes. The sabres also have a better coach. Sabres in 6.

Discuss...

Also, add links and such to this thread so it will all stay in one place for ease of reference...

I agree with all of your points....Sabres are faster, better goalie, better coach.....AND we shut them out in thier own building on the last day of the regular season....when they needed the game to get first place and it was meaningless to us. I know it's only one game but I have seen a hot and cold team in the Canes and I think the Sabres are really focused right now. They have lots of confidence. They have their eye on the CUP. They believe, and if they believe, I BELIEVE! Go Sabres!

GRs website says that all remaining games will be on OLN. I thought some would be on Ch 2. Any info?

WGR says the ECF will start Thursday or Saturday. All night games will be at 8pm EST instead of 7pm.

On good link, one bad link...

The Sporting News' Take

One final thing. I was listening to one of the Carolina radio stations, and the announcer (apeaking of Game 5 against the Devils) said: "I say the first period, but I had a lot of 'honey-dos', so I listened to the rest on the radio. Those guys (Canes announcers) are really funny to listen to.'

They then went on to talk about NASCAR and baseball. I really feel bad for Canes fans.

I was looking on the Carolina board today. They have the proper respect for the Sabres. Knock of Philly and Ottawa and you gain that respect. Besides we delivered them home ice for the ECF.

Yes, thanks for the home ice. Our teams match up great with each other although I do think our team is deeper as far as lines that can put pressure on the net and bang home some goals. This series will be one for the ages, no doubt about it.

I think ward is showing a few kinks at goal of late. I think key will be to get some shots on him early.. But agree games should be good I am hoping for game 1 to be like last game of season with a 4 - 0 shutout won by the Sabres!!!!!!!!!!

Well the great thing about our defense is they stop so many of the shots before they ever make it to Cam. Every guy out there is willing to take one for the team to stop a shot and that really helps a young goalie like Cam. But he still stops 90% of what he sees so i'm confident in him. And even if he needs to be pulled, Gerber is healthy again and more than able to come back and continue the series.

Yes, thanks for the home ice. Our teams match up great with each other although I do think our team is deeper as far as lines that can put pressure on the net and bang home some goals. This series will be one for the ages, no doubt about it.

There are several points that I believe are arguable in the Canes' favor. The stats here, however, favor Buffalo.

Regular season:

Players 15+ G

Buffalo 10

Carolina 8

Players 3+ GWG

Buffalo 10

Carolina 8

10th best goal scorer:

Buffalo - 16G

Carolina - 6G

Playoffs:

Players 3+ G

Buffalo 9

Carolina 6

Players 1+ GWG

Buffalo 7

Carolina 6

Players 1+ Pt

Buffalo 20

Carolina 14

Yeah I definitely think the Sabres have a slight edge in depth of scoring while the Canes have a little more top-end offensive explosiveness with Staal and, if he is healthy, Stillman.

I really think it's going to come down to which rookie goalie plays better, because the nature of the way these two teams play means both will certainly be tested.

Welcome Cardiac Canes.. I think you'll like it here... And who knows, by the end of the series, you just might believe too! Game on.. Enjoy it, these teams are near carbon copies of each other. They both block shots, they both have rooks between the pipes, they both are in small markets, and they both play a team game.. Be very afraid of your powerplay.. That is when the Sabres are most dangerous. Short handed goals are becoming the theme of this team.

Before the playoffs started, I have to admit that I really didn't think very much of Sweet Caroline. Two rounds later, I'm more than happy to admit that I grossly underestimated them.

The main reason I simply didn't fear the Canes, was that I thought their goaltending would end up killing them. I didn't like Gerber that much, and Ward was sort of the odd man out this season and was never really able to grab his starting job back once Gerber stepped in. I'm still not sold on Ward, though he's certainly going to prove a tougher challenge than Emery did.

What I'm looking forward to:

1- These two teams are so evenly matched, top to bottom, forwards, defensemen, coaching, special teams, equipment trainiers....etc, I think that this series will simply come down to heart.

You could write a season summary describing the Sabres, and for all intents and purposes it would describe Carolina the exact same way.

In my opinion, it's laughable to say that Buffalo has a DISTINCT edge at any one position. While the Ottawa series had plenty of free-wheeling and lots of offense, I think THIS will be the series that makes everyone realize why the new NHL is so good for the game. It's only Tuesday and I'm already getting pumped.

I'll hold off on my picks until later in the week...I've got to give myself some time to let it sink in that we just beat Ottawa in 5 freaking games!

Yeah I definitely think the Sabres have a slight edge in depth of scoring while the Canes have a little more top-end offensive explosiveness with Staal and, if he is healthy, Stillman.

I really think it's going to come down to which rookie goalie plays better, because the nature of the way these two teams play means both will certainly be tested.

Yeah, looking at the stats posted it does appear as though your scoring depth may be a little deeper than ours. I really can't wait to get this series started.

Did Buffalo make any trades before the deadline to bolster the team?

Yeah, looking at the stats posted it does appear as though your scoring depth may be a little deeper than ours. I really can't wait to get this series started.

Did Buffalo make any trades before the deadline to bolster the team?

No trades to bolster the team. They traded Mika Noronen, the third goalie to Vancouver for a draft pick.

The biggest addition to the team was getting Daniel Briere back healthy, and getting Dmitri Kalinin back into form (although he's now out at the start of this series with broken ankle).

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this series. It is striking how even and similar the teams seem to be, but two intangibles might be in Buffalo's favor. Underline "might" because you can interpret the following in different ways.

1. Chemistry and camaraderie. By and large, this group of Sabres has been a team longer than the Hurricanes. A dozen current Canes weren't around Carolina the season before the lockout. Only six current Sabres were not in Buffalo in 03-04, and four of those were in the system. This season, the Sabres stood pat at the trading deadline, happy with their team, while Carolina added Mark Recchi and Doug Weight. Plus, Lindy Ruff has been behind the Buffalo bench seemingly forever, while this is Peter Laviolette's first full year in Carolina.

2. Youth and endurance. The Hurricanes have 13 players over 30, the Sabres three. If the new NHL is a young man's game, the edge here goes to the Sabres, whose lack of playoff experience has not been a factor so far.

Am I just straining for find a reason to like the Sabres in this season? Or am I onto something here?

1. Chemistry and camaraderie.

2. Youth and endurance.

Am I just straining for find a reason to like the Sabres in this season? Or am I onto something here?

I'm not sure if you're straining PA. Chemistry and camaraderie do play a factor in the playoffs, however I just feel that at this point in the season, and this point in the playoff grind, neither team necessarily has an edge in this "intangible" category. For a team to finish 2nd in the Conference, and then make it through two rounds of the playoffs, including coming back from 2 games down, I would say that Carolina has demonstrated just as much chemistry as the Sabres have.

Your second point regarding youth and endurance might hold more merit, but only if this series goes 6 or 7 games. Neither the Sabres or Canes have really played very many games so far this postseaon (both have played 11 of a possible 14) and will have had almost a full week of rest/practice. I think the only way that youth and endurance would have come into play would be if Buffalo had 4 days off, and Carolina only had 1 day off before starting the Conf. Finals. With plenty of time off, as well as a standard every-other-day playoff schedule for this series, I'm not sure how much youth and endurance means to either teams legs. The only night it might really matter would be if there's a game that goes multiple OT's, then travel, then another game. Even then...that's a stretch to say one team would have a significant advantage.

Good thoughts though PA!

Whether endurance was a factor or not is simply hindsight BUT the Sabres did NOT look good playing a 2d game in two days (game 4) against Ottawa to our chagrin (at the time).

I think that at this point of the playoffs you have two good teams, each playing well. Bounces will be the key. Which team takes advantage on the power play. Which team gets a break like the Dumont knuckle puck to win an ot game, etc.

OOH, AAH, SABRES ON THE WARPATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!