Eastern Conference Finals, Carolina Hurricanes (2) vs. Buffalo Sabres (4)

Corp000085

Living in Maryland, local coverage showed more Canes than Sabres games. So I think I have a decent perspective on how they play. Make no mistake, they might start slow, but that doesn't mean they were playing bad. In their clinching game for example, they gave up the first goal (bad goal) to Jersey. They also had to withstand some penalties that favored New Jersey as Jersey played with desperation. The Hurricanes took that and then counterpunched. By the second period it was New Jersey back on their heals. This Carolina teams does appear to pick up steam as they play. Throw out the first two Canadien games and the debacle in the Meadowlands and they never let the other games get away from them. They were pretty consistent. They played their style rather than their opponents. I hope Buffalo continues their 1st period successes.

Buffalo will need to continue to get out of the gates quickly. They'll need at least to goals in the first period of each game to set the 'Canes back a bit. During the year Carolina came back in the third period to win several games after being down by two or more goals. The more we score on them early the harder it will be for the canes to come back.

All I know is i don't want to see fuggin Ric Flair on the scoreboard doing that friggin stupid woooohooooo routine. Living in the heart of enemy territory I have really come to despise the canes over the course of this week. Let's Go Buffalo!

Kind of funny you mention that, 'cause I was telling my wife in the 3rd period of game 5 how amazed I was that every time the Sabres play the Otters in the playoffs I go into the series kind of liking them and then look at them like the Loafs or the Phlyers by the time the series is over. It even happened in '99 when the Sabres killed the Otters.

I can definitely believe you can dislike the Canes by now. Just wait until next week, it'll just intensify.

I agree wholeheartedly. The Sabres should try to score at least the first two, and preferably the first three or four, goals each game. I think that would give them a really good chance of winning.

All I'm saying is getting a one goal lead on the Hurricanes is no big deal. Thats not going to bother them at all. Once Buffalo scores they need to keep attacking and not try and sit on the lead like they did a couple of times against Ottawa.

Living in Maryland, local coverage showed more Canes than Sabres games. So I think I have a decent perspective on how they play. Make no mistake, they might start slow, but that doesn't mean they were playing bad. In their clinching game for example, they gave up the first goal (bad goal) to Jersey. They also had to withstand some penalties that favored New Jersey as Jersey played with desperation. The Hurricanes took that and then counterpunched. By the second period it was New Jersey back on their heals. This Carolina teams does appear to pick up steam as they play. Throw out the first two Canadien games and the debacle in the Meadowlands and they never let the other games get away from them. They were pretty consistent. They played their style rather than their opponents. I hope Buffalo continues their 1st period successes.

Throw out the games they lost, and they never let games get away? Who'd have thunk it. :lol:

Throw out the games they lost, and they never let games get away? Who'd have thunk it. :lol:

They were SO close to being down three games to none against the Canadians. That Koivu injury coupled with their collapse in Game 3 took everything out of them. I kind of think the same thing happened to the Sens after Game 1, although it wasn't until Game 2 that the Sens had their spirits completely el_crushoed.

Thank you all for contributing to the "preview" thread. Since it's gameday, i'm going to unpin this thread. I won't close it, but it may not be at the top of the page. Feel free to add to it as you may. In any event, i'm going to the game, i have my ipod loaded with 3 hours of rick jeannerett and i have BEER!!! GO SABRES!!!