Thrasher Broadcast View of Conf

Taro T

Watching the Thrashers - Habs. At intermission, some guy named Darren (not Pang) gave his view of the top 4 teams in the conference. He went with Tampa, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. I understand Tampa and his homer pick of Atlanta, but Boston over Ottawa? Pittsburgh over just about everybody else???

WTF????

Watching the Thrashers - Habs. At intermission, some guy named Darren (not Pang) gave his view of the top 4 teams in the conference. He went with Tampa, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. I understand Tampa and his homer pick of Atlanta, but Boston over Ottawa? Pittsburgh over just about everybody else???

WTF????

I would expect those teams to be in the playoff picture when all is said and done. But only in the 4-8 spots if they get the goaltending. The Sens, Devils and Philly are my top three and a sleeper is Florida. They have the best goalie in hockey. Which is why I pick the Sabres so low. You have those eight teams then the Leafs, Habs and Rangers ( if Jagr decides to show up all season) knocking the Sabres down. I know the Sabres have a good start going but the road trip will say allot about where this team is heading.

That pittsburgh defense is horrible, their goaltending is no better than the Sabres, and once lemieux breaks down, which he will, they will fall by the way side ...that is not to say the Sabres are CLOSE to a lock ...

I agree with much of DeLuca's list ...

Ottawa, Philly and Tampa will win divisions ... Boston, New Jersey and Montreal look very solid, which leaves two spots ... I see Florida, Toronto and Buffalo battling for those last two spots ... the Rangers do not scare me too much ... Carolina MIGHT get in the mix, they can score and they get to play Washington 8 times ... not to be discounted given the better teams the Sabres have to play 8 times ...

I think the Sabres will be pretty much what they were before ... an above-500 team but battling for a playoff spot because they do play in a tough division ... The good start is encouraging, but I am realistic about it, all it really means is if they get hot at the end like they did last season they make the playoffs by a point instead of missing it by 4 or whatever ... I have no illusions about them racking up 100 points or anything. To me, that is not a criticism, I am excited, but I'm sure some will say I am selling them short ...

I don't forsee Pittsburgh and Atlanta being playoff teams this year.

Atlanta seems like they would be willing to make any deal to make it in. And they have finishers. If the PP count stays high they can score with any team. 'Scoring Only' teams don't win Cups but they do make the playoffs.

Archived