Sabre Bashers Need not apply

Toddkaz

I am posting as #1SabresFan

Mr DELUCA and other negative sabre fans, what came first the egg or the hen????

DO we expect to have a stanley cup team?

OR do we support our team to win and be positive forcing the hand of management by supporting them they have no excusee.

Instead i have heard comments i will not name hint hint to go as far as saying we will release WOLVERINES into the crowd to kill of the fans!

SUPPORT THE TEAM or wait better yet sell out every game buy lots of sabre gear and i GARUNTEE we put a winning team on the ice.

OR we can slam and slander the sabres and expect a winner for nothing?????

I am posting as #1SabresFan

Mr DELUCA and other negative sabre fans, what came first the egg or the hen????

DO we expect to have a stanley cup team?

OR do we support our team to win and be positive forcing the hand of management by supporting them they have no excusee.

Instead i have heard comments i will not name hint hint to go as far as saying we will release WOLVERINES into the crowd to kill of the fans!

SUPPORT THE TEAM or wait better yet sell out every game buy lots of sabre gear and i GARUNTEE we put a winning team on the ice.

OR we can slam and slander the sabres and expect a winner for nothing?????

How nice for Tom Golisano to stop by and post :lol:

I thought you forgot you owned a team. I figured you would be working hard to get 3% of the vote this time around. :lol:

Hello,

It is nice to see MR DELUCA thinks i am TOM.....Then he finally understands the support from the team is a good thing.

I guess me wanting to LOVE my team is a bad thing I don't get it????

Or maybe it is only okay to love something when they are good and hate them when they are bad??

Is that the way parenting is this days?

I don't get it why if you are a fan you are made fun of for loving the team?????

I am lost on this one but i am sure someone has a dunbwitted comment on why it is stupid to think positive

Guest Think Positive
Hello,

It is nice to see MR DELUCA thinks i am TOM.....Then he finally understands the support from the team is a good thing.

Or maybe it is only okay to love something when they are good and hate them when they are bad??

I don't get it why if you are a fan you are made fun of for loving the team?????

I am lost on this one but i am sure someone has a dunbwitted comment on why it is stupid to think positive

The French thought positive in 1942

Jimmy Carter thought positive in 1979

New Orleans thought positive in 2005

When you ignore reality by thinking positive, some in the medical community may call that "denial". The biggest optimists in life are often the most critical people because they look at all the flaws involved, and how much more that can be done. I hope the Sabres win, I really do. I would much rather trust Quinn and Darcy running the Cheektowaga Library over an NHL team though.

The French thought positive in 1942

Jimmy Carter thought positive in 1979

New Orleans thought positive in 2005

When you ignore reality by thinking positive, some in the medical community may call that "denial". The biggest optimists in life are often the most critical people because they look at all the flaws involved, and how much more that can be done. I hope the Sabres win, I really do. I would much rather trust Quinn and Darcy running the Cheektowaga Library over an NHL team though.

agreed...

Hello,

dude i agree with your basic point but your not doing yourself any favours the way you say things. sorry dude.

anyway. i can understand and i partly agree with then negitivity, but what i dont understand is the refusal to support a team your supposed to love! at the end of the day, whether you believe in them or not, they are your team and you have a duty (and i hope will) to support them and hope they do their best.

dude i agree with your basic point but your not doing yourself any favours the way you say things. sorry dude.

anyway. i can understand and i partly agree with then negitivity, but what i dont understand is the refusal to support a team your supposed to love! at the end of the day, whether you believe in them or not, they are your team and you have a duty (and i hope will) to support them and hope they do their best.

i support them in every way i can... i have all 3 jerseys and names on the back of 2 of the 3... and i plan to get fully named vintage jerseys too... i have 12 different sabres hats and multiple shirts and sweatshirts including one spring jacket... all this from a canadian that lives on the fringe of leaf territory... ive also been to 2 games already this year both of which i sat within 7 rows of the glass... those aren't cheap tickets after canadian exchange... and im a 20 year old college student... lets face it folks if i can afford it you can afford it... i know everyone's situation is different though and i respect that.

i know your message is directed at deluca but just realise we are sabres fans till the last and we will continue to cheer for them, futility or not.

I understand guys you are allowed your own opinion. But if you want to bash them then where do your loyalties lie?

Darcy Reiger is the Buffalo Sabres, Lindy Ruff is the Buffalo Sabres, Thomas Vanek is the Buffalo Sabres, Ryan Miller is the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Sabre Fans are the Buffalo Sabres.

Whether you like it or not that is the truth

So if Reiger is a cancer then why not is the Negative(not critical)but Negative is also a cancer I would trade Negative fans for Positive fans and have a better team.

I understand guys you are allowed your own opinion. But if you want to bash them then where do your loyalties lie?

Darcy Reiger is the Buffalo Sabres, Lindy Ruff is the Buffalo Sabres, Thomas Vanek is the Buffalo Sabres, Ryan Miller is the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Sabre Fans are the Buffalo Sabres.

So if Reiger is a cancer then why not is the Negative(not critical)but Negative is also a cancer I would trade Negative fans for Positive fans and have a better team.

:blink: :blink:

I know i am just beating my head against a wall, but here I go.

:blink:

You choose to follow a team with blind faith. There is nothing wrong with that. If that's how you are then that's how you are. Good luck with that.

I choose a different path. Since I have 30+ years in as a Sabre fan I choose to look at things from the outside in. I see the flaws. I hear what the Sabres say and know it's a lie. Like when they say that things will be different yet they still draft Europeans beacuse they don't have to sign them in two years. Like when they say they want to make the playoffs but the goal is to collect Revenus Sharing.

You see, I as a Sabre fan have been fooled by smater GM's then Regier. I have been through the decade long first round drought. I know who Steve Patrick, Shawn Anderson and Timo Jutila are. I've steped in enough piles of Sabre rhetoric to learn to avoid it.

The names change but it remains the same.

Even still. I was there Friday night. And I'll be there several other games throughout the year. Not because I believe in what they are doing. It's because I am a Buffalo Sabres fan. I know the economic impact they have downtown and I want to support it. I also know one other thing. In five years I'll still be a fan and Status Quo will be bad memories.

Peace ;)

You see, I as a Sabre fan have been fooled by smater GM's then Regier. I have been through the decade long first round drought. I know who Steve Patrick, Shawn Anderson and Timo Jutila are.  I've steped in enough piles of Sabre rhetoric to learn to avoid it.

D*mn DeLuca,

You got me with the Timo Jutila reference! I had to look him up. Any special significance?

D*mn DeLuca,

You got me with the Timo Jutila reference! I had to look him up. Any special significance?

Just another "wait till this guy arrives". Everyone was big on Hannu Virta and this kid was to be better. Just like Jiri Dudachek, guys who supposed to lead the Sabres somewhere.

Which leads to one of my bigger and moans about the Sabres. Don't tell me how good you're going to be. Be good. I've heard it all before. Tim Connolly? He used to be named Terry Martin and Mikail Anderson. Pyatt? I remember when he went by the name Steve Patrick or Joel Savage. I like Vanek. But prove you're more then a Giles Hamel.

This is because I know some can't stand when I do this. :rolleyes:

The Bills have missed the playoffs for as long as the Sabres in a league where it is much harder to make it and they get killed. And don't give me the we almost lost the Sabres crap. We are one 90 year old ventrical from losing the Bills.

Nothing wrong with higher standards. ;)

I know i am just beating my head against a wall, but here I go.

:blink:

You choose to follow a team with blind faith. There is nothing wrong with that. If that's how you are then that's how you are. Good luck with that.

I choose a different path. Since I have 30+ years in as a Sabre fan I choose to look at things from the outside in. I see the flaws. I hear what the Sabres say and know it's a lie. Like when they say that things will be different yet they still draft Europeans beacuse they don't have to sign them in two years. Like when they say they want to make the playoffs but the goal is to collect Revenus Sharing.

You see, I as a Sabre fan have been fooled by smater GM's then Regier. I have been through the decade long first round drought. I know who Steve Patrick, Shawn Anderson and Timo Jutila are. I've steped in enough piles of Sabre rhetoric to learn to avoid it.

Even still. I was there Friday night. And I'll be there several other games throughout the year. Not because I believe in what they are doing. It's because I am a Buffalo Sabres fan. I know the economic impact they have downtown and I want to support it. I also know one other thing. In five years I'll still be a fan and Status Quo will be bad memories.

Peace ;)

Like you, I have been a Sabre fan since they began in 1970. I agree with everything you said in this post. Well done! ;)

C'mon, Timo Jutila was drafted by Scotty Bowman two ownership groups ago. I understand the frustration, I lived through Jiri Dudacek and Adam Creighton and Norm Lacombe too, but to point to those screw ups 20 years ago (man I am old) as a reason not to trust the current regime makes no sense. Granted, the current guys have made planty of mistakes, but you sound so cynical I wonder if anything they do would make you happy. If they cleaned house tomorrow and brought in the guys running the Devils or the Lightning or whoever, would that make it better? Would you trust them becauuse they have had recent success, or would they immediately be corrupted and branded liars because they are now the guys running the Sabres?

Please understand I am not defending the things that the Quinn-Regier regime has done, you have every right to question a lot of the things they have done. But you are going to be miserable forever and never enjoy being a fan if you don't let Timo Jutila go, you know?

C'mon, Timo Jutila was drafted by Scotty Bowman two ownership groups ago. I understand the frustration, I lived through Jiri Dudacek and Adam Creighton and Norm Lacombe too, but to point to those screw ups 20 years ago (man I am old) as a reason not to trust the current regime makes no sense. Granted, the current guys have made planty of mistakes, but you sound so cynical I wonder if anything they do would make you happy. If they cleaned house tomorrow and brought in the guys running the Devils or the Lightning or whoever, would that make it better? Would you trust them becauuse they have had recent success, or would they immediately be corrupted and branded liars because they are now the guys running the Sabres?

Please understand I am not defending the things that the Quinn-Regier regime has done, you have every right to question a lot of the things they have done. But you are going to be miserable forever and never enjoy being a fan if you don't let Timo Jutila go, you know?

It's not about Timo.

Before the lockout, when it was about to happen you thought "great, now the Sabres can compete with the big markets." Am I right? So, it doesn't bother you that the Sabres sold you that and it's a lie? It was never about building up the Sabres. It was about tearing the top spending teams down. It wasn't about adding better players for cheaper prices. It was about revenue sharing. It's not about winning. It's about maximum profits.

Do you think if the Sabres are close to the playoffs and they are close to breaking even or making a profit that they will forgo the profit and add a player that will cause a bottom line loss. Regier said a thousand times. It's money in = money out.

It's not about the sins of the past. 'Status Quo' have a whole new list of sins that need to be accounted for. And you, I and all Sabre fans can do is hold them accountable.

I too, have been a Sabres fan from the beginning. From grade school because I liked their colors, to seeing the "future" Sabres playing in Hershey. I live between Hershey and Philly. I've been a strong Sabres fan through the loss to the Flyers in "75 (I think I still have scars) and the several playoff losses to the Flyers since. Since I no longer pick favorite teams by colors I stuck with them even after the change. I can remember meeting Edwards in Hershey - what a fantastic person - spent almost 1/2 hour a week just talking with the kids that would play at the arena on Fri. nights! I am very disappointed with some of the current things going on. But I can't find fault with anything T.G. has done...not yet anyway. From all reports it was either him or no one when it came time to put up the money. Do I wish he would have chosen someone other than Quiin/Regier/Ruff to run it? Sure. But in his earliest interviews he admitted to knowing nothing about hockey. For whatever his reasons, he didn't buy the team to get involved in the "hockey ops" of it. Under his ownership (not counting the end of 02-03) his team has played one season, improved over the previous year and missed the playoffs by 4 points. He has not (and I hate to admit this) seen anything WHILE HE HAS OWNED THE TEAM that shows he should be making changes. Hopefully, the team finishes well this year (in spite of the powers that be) and he grows more knowledgable as it goes. Whatever anyone may think of him, his business record is extremely impressive and I can't believe he will allow bad management to continue. Deluca, I agree with you on all the past history, but I doubt very much if TG knows any of it.No one wants to see fresh blood behind the bench more than me (I think Lindy could still have a place in the org.) but I can't blame TG for that...now.

If you remember a posting on the trading of the goalies a while back I asked how they could justify keeping Biron at 2mil. as a back up. Those are things I believe TG will see and question. Even if it is for 25 games - How can you pay him that and have no forward or Def. who is contributing nightly, paid much more? Can you imagine the next contract discussion? Sorry Dimitri, you can't have a raise, we need it for the 13th forward......he might play next week.

Oh and for those that show support, I have all 5 game jerseys and 2 practice jerseys. Almost all the "collectable stuff" I have comes from E-Bay or my once a year trek with my three daughts and wife (who each have a jersey). We'll be in section 105, 5th row on the 22nd of Oct. (not cheap seats) and win or lose it will be a great week end.

Sorry for the rant.

I too, have been a Sabres fan from the beginning. From grade school because I liked their colors, to seeing the "future" Sabres playing in Hershey. I live between Hershey and Philly. I've been a strong Sabres fan through the loss to the Flyers in "75 (I think I still have scars) and the several playoff losses to the Flyers since. Since I no longer pick favorite teams by colors I stuck with them even after the change. I can remember meeting Edwards in Hershey - what a fantastic person - spent almost 1/2 hour a week just talking with the kids that would play at the arena on Fri. nights! I am very disappointed with some of the current things going on. But I can't find fault with anything T.G. has done...not yet anyway. From all reports it was either him or no one when it came time to put up the money. Do I wish he would have chosen someone other than Quiin/Regier/Ruff to run it? Sure. But in his earliest interviews he admitted to knowing nothing about hockey. For whatever his reasons, he didn't buy the team to get involved in the "hockey ops" of it. Under his ownership (not counting the end of 02-03) his team has played one season, improved over the previous year and missed the playoffs by 4 points. He has not (and I hate to admit this) seen anything WHILE HE HAS OWNED THE TEAM that shows he should be making changes. Hopefully, the team finishes well this year (in spite of the powers that be) and he grows more knowledgable as it goes. Whatever anyone may think of him, his business record is extremely impressive and I can't believe he will allow bad management to continue. Deluca, I agree with you on all the past history, but I doubt very much if TG knows any of it.No one wants to see fresh blood behind the bench more than me (I think Lindy could still have a place in the org.) but I can't blame TG for that...now.

If you remember a posting on the trading of the goalies a while back I asked how they could justify keeping Biron at 2mil. as a back up. Those are things I believe TG will see and question. Even if it is for 25 games - How can you pay him that and have no forward or Def. who is contributing nightly, paid much more? Can you imagine the next contract discussion? Sorry Dimitri, you can't have a raise, we need it for the 13th forward......he might play next week.

Oh and for those that show support, I have all 5 game jerseys and 2 practice jerseys. Almost all the "collectable stuff" I have comes from E-Bay or my once a year trek with my three daughts and wife (who each have a jersey). We'll be in section 105, 5th row on the 22nd of Oct. (not cheap seats) and win or lose it will be a great week end.

Sorry for the rant.

Never apologize for a great post.

I fully understand that all of my views come from my small window of perspective. I try to get as much info as I can and build my opinions. I've been wrong before. I'll be wrong again.

I hope I'm wrong about this team

I really do. :(

It's not about Timo.

Before the lockout, when it was about to happen you thought "great, now the Sabres can compete  with the big markets." Am I right? So, it doesn't bother you that the Sabres sold you that and it's a lie? It was never about building up the Sabres. It was about tearing the top spending teams down. It wasn't about adding better players for cheaper prices. It was about revenue sharing. It's not about winning. It's about maximum profits.

Do you think if the Sabres are close to the playoffs and they are close to breaking even or making a profit that they will forgo the profit and add a player that will cause a bottom line loss. Regier said a thousand times. It's money in = money out.

It's not about the sins of the past. 'Status Quo' have a whole new list of sins that need to be accounted for. And you, I and all Sabre fans can do is hold them accountable.

I don't think the Sabres are that far out from competing with the big boys. Their salary is lower than what I thought it would be (I expected ~$31-32MM) but not tremendously. They don't have the goaltending right now to be legitimate Cup threats, but Ryan (or one of the "others") could be there in a year or two. If not, they can try to trade for a top tier goalie or sign one as a UFA.

The Sabres have put together an exciting team. You were at one game, I've been at 2. Although the fans in the stands were into it and the games were great, the fans aren't in the seats YET. Buffalo IS a good hockey town, regardless of what ESPN and USA Today would have you believe. It is also a town that has gone through a lot with this hockey team since 2000. The fans have had to deal with the crook, the Peca debacle, the Hasek debacle, bankruptcy, league stewardship, the return of an unpopular executive, and a lockout. Your concerns, while not voiced by a preponderence of people on this board, are shared by many fans. I think as the team continues to play well (and I do expect them to be near a playoff spot all year and grab one (#7 most likely)) the fans will start to come back. I also don't think that having spent an extra $10MM would have gotten the team sellouts in October; not with all the additional baggage the team was carrying.

The start this team has had will go along way toward reducing that baggage and getting fans back in the rink. I don't want to jinx them, but right now, it looks like management had a better handle on things than a lot of people gave them credit for. I want to wait until the end of November before saying they did or didn't, but right now it looks good. If the team continues to put a good product on the ice, they will start selling out. If the team is selling out, there will be more money available to get more / better players. Next off season and perhaps even this season, there will be players available that will/can help this team.

Let's say the Sabres had grabbed Bondra, would there have been $4.5MM worth of additional revenue to the Sabres this year or even something comparable by bringing him in? I don't think so, although I could be wrong. If they had brought him in, would the Sabres have a better record than 3-1? Again, I don't think so. Would their season ending record have been improved? We can debate that till we're blue in the face, but I doubt it.

The Sabres tried to get Aucoin and were rebuffed. They didn't go out of their way to stand pat. I am happy with this team where it is right now. I am happy with the direction the league is headed and hope desperately that the league doesn't bring clutching and grabbing back in 2 weeks.

If the team and league are as exciting as they are now in December, the team WILL be selling out (unless the Bills are playing out of their minds, in which case the Sabres start selling out consistantly in Jan/Feb). If the team can end this season on a high note, say winning 1 series and continuing to play exciting hockey; the team will have more fans watching it next year. Momentum building up can translate into a better product on the ice. October will still be slow, but not as slow as now. If the Sabres grab another "piece of the puzzle" it could translate directly into increased fan interest. I honestly don't think anything they would have done in this past offseason would have significantly changed the dynamics of how many fans would be here; at least not without costing the team several million dollars which would have hurt their future viability.

I agree, the present regime should be held accountable. We have had that discussion before. I think we need to see how this season (and the next) go to give them a fair evaluation. It's way too early to evaluate them now, but I like what I see so far. Is it perfect? Heck no. But it sure is entertaining so far.

Actually, no, I never thought the new CBA would be about the Sabres going out and buying better players. As far as I am concerned, you couldn't be more right, all the new CBA did was make it possible for smaller market teams to compete by bringing the outrageous teams like Philly back to the pack.

No matter what, the Sabres are always going to be middle of the pack at best payroll wise. They are never going to completely forget about the bottom line. Money is going to be a factor in every decision, and there will definitely be times when we feel they are one player away and they can't go get that guy.

Basically, they need to be the Oakland A's of hockey ... lock up your good young players for as long as possible, maybe deal them for good prospects when they get too expensive and won't sign a resonable long-term deal with you. You have to be better than most at scouting and identifying bargains, etc ...

Is Regier the guy to do these things? I certainly have my doubts. But for some reason I don't have the bitterness and feeling that I was lied to ... I don't ever remember anyone telling us they were going to become the Yankees of hockey with the new CBA. I think they have a good young core of guys, and I think that Ruff is a good coach for the kind of team the Sabres need to be (because he doesn't deal with the egos of superstars well and they are unlikely to ever pay many of them) and I am willing to give them a year under the new CBA to see what happens. If you want to call that blind faith, I guess I am guilty, but I have no illusions of a run at the Stanley Cup ... they will finish 7th or 8th if they arre right and everything falls into place, and miss the playoffs if they are wrong and it doesn't. And heads should roll if they are wrong. So let's see what happens.

Actually, no, I never thought the new CBA would be about the Sabres going out and buying better players. As far as I am concerned, you couldn't be more right, all the new CBA did was make it possible for smaller market teams to compete by bringing the outrageous teams like Philly back to the pack.

No matter what, the Sabres are always going to be middle of the pack at best payroll wise. They are never going to completely forget about the bottom line. Money is going to be a factor in every decision, and there will definitely be times when we feel they are one player away and they can't go get that guy.

Basically, they need to be the Oakland A's of hockey ... lock up your good young players for as long as possible, maybe deal them for good prospects when they get too expensive and won't sign a resonable long-term deal with you. You have to be better than most at scouting and identifying bargains, etc ...

Is Regier the guy to do these things? I certainly have my doubts. But for some reason I don't have the bitterness and feeling that I was lied to ... I don't ever remember anyone telling us they were going to become the Yankees of hockey with the new CBA. I think they have a good young core of guys, and I think that Ruff is a good coach for the kind of team the Sabres need to be (because he doesn't deal with the egos of superstars well and they are unlikely to ever pay many of them) and I am willing to give them a year under the new CBA to see what happens. If you want to call that blind faith, I guess I am guilty, but I have no illusions of a run at the Stanley Cup ... they will finish 7th or 8th if they arre right and everything falls into place, and miss the playoffs if they are wrong and it doesn't. And heads should roll if they are wrong. So let's see what happens.

Excellent post.

I can only find fault with two of your points.

1) The Sabres are not "middle of the pack" with the cap. They are at the bottom.

and

2) I don't think heads will roll. There is no accountability. If they don't make the playoffs no one gets fired.

Of course that's just my opinion.

I didn't say heads WOULD roll, just that they SHOULD ... I agree they should be held accountable, but I like the team they put together on a limited budget and think they have themselves positioned well for next offseason when there will be a TON of free agents and I think there WILL be some bargains out there that were not there this year ... along those lines, I said they would be middle of the pack payroll wise AT BEST, not that they are there now. they need to have some success so they fill the building and get some home playoff games and have some more cash to spend.

Now, if they pocket that cash and let the team get worse instead of better, I will be behind you 100 percent. I am just giving them a bit of a clean slate with the new world of the NHL and am anxious to see how the season and next offseason play out.

DeLuca is just one of those "look at me" posters who lives for bad news. It must be killing him that the Sabres are playing well right now because it validates what Regier, Ruff, and Quinn were saying all along...3 people DeLuca has been ragging forever.

5 games do not a season make, and DeLuca will be the first one with an "I told you so" as soon as the Sabres drop 3 in a row. But the new-look Sabres look to be built perfectly for the new NHL and I think it will be a good season to be a real fan, not a DeLuca fan.

PTR

Archived