Ruff Gets Contract Extension

PTS

If we tank this season and have to make a coaching change, this just means Buffalo will have to fire Lindy and he will still be getting paychecks from them next year. I really think this just cancels any uncertainty about next season that may arise near the end of the year/playoffs. Smart move, but not a really big deal.

Agreed. You won't be able to concentrate on bringing free agents in during the offseason if you don't have a coaching staff in place.

I guess I just don't think that it is "playing with the backups head" when you don't play him for long stretches or play him twice in 3 games. He needs to be ready to play when you need him. It's the nature of the beast. no one worries about Peters being ready play when he doesn't play a regular shift, when he goes in there we expect him to at least not be a liability.

Marty is not getting rusty. The guy didn't play for 16 months and as you said played well in preseason. If it was 4 straight games in January and they went 3-1 you would not blink an eye if Miller played all 4.

I guess I just don't think that it is "playing with the backups head" when you don't play him for long stretches or play him twice in 3 games. He needs to be ready to play when you need him. It's the nature of the beast. no one worries about Peters being ready play when he doesn't play a regular shift, when he goes in there we expect him to at least not be a liability.

Marty is not getting rusty. The guy didn't play for 16 months and as you said played well in preseason. If it was 4 straight games in January and they went 3-1 you would not blink an eye if Miller played all 4.

They played 4 games in 6 nights. They don't have back to back games until the 28th/29th. Do you think it is a good idea to play Ryan every game until then? I don't, I see it setting up problems later this season. I would be surprised to see someone other than Ryan get a start before then, especially if Ryan wins in TB.

Comparing the handling of Peters with that of the goalies is ridiculous. The situations are apples and oranges. I'd expect with a posting name of BtP you would be aware of that.

You make it sound like no goalie ever played 10 games in a row before without ending up in the hospital. For some reason you are worrying about what MIGHT happen 4 months from now based on ONE WEEK. Let it play out a bit more is all I am saying.

The point of the Peters thing was not that it was EXACTLY the same, but that his role is different from the rest of the forwards. Likewise, if you have a true No. 1 goalie, the role of the backup goalie is different from that of the No. 1. The No. 2 guy has to be ready to play when the team needs him. Period. The coach can't worry about his feelings or his sharpness like he does with the No. 1, it just has to be there. Now, if you want them to do like Bowman did with Sauve and Barrasso and go back and forth every night because neither of these guys can handle long stretches without playing, I understand. But you're not suggesting that.

The team has played four games and somehow if Marty had played one of them you'd have no worries, but because Miller played all 4, he is in danger of being tired in March? It's 4 games, not 40. Let's see what happens, and I promise I will back you up 100 percent if Miller plays the first 13 or something.

BtP,

You have more faith in Ruff's handling of the goalies than I do. Fine. Hopefully Lindy will surprise me, you will be correct, and Ryan won't be expected to carry the entire load. I also hope that Ruff won't mess with their heads although he has done that pretty consistently in the past.

Archived