9 observations from tonight's Sabs-Pens game

Eleven

1. Thomas Vanek is going to be a special player. Once he finds the back of the net that first time, look out. That pass to himself off of the boards was sweet, as was his wrap-around attempt, and about five other plays I can't remember as well.

2. I don't remember Marc-Andre Fleury being quite this good. During the second period 5-on-3, it seemed like he had four arms and four legs. With a different goaltender, this game would have been out of hand much earlier.

3. Brian Campbell is no longer unreliable, and is contributing back there. Rory Fitzpatrick looked better. Toni Lydman can't get out of his own way.

4. Lemieux still gets a free pass when he's near the boards. No one wants to hit him.

5. The "New NHL" lasts about 55 minutes into each game. The refs still pocket their whistles with five minutes left.

6. It was nice to hear the organ, rather than piped-in dance music, during most of the breaks in play.

7. But the concession stands and metro still don't have their acts together.

8. What will it take to get the fans back into HSBC? The announced crowd was 12,050, and that included a lot of Pittsburgh fans...

9. ...but although the Pitt roster looks like an All-Star alumni team, this really shouldn't have been a "premium" game.

I'll add two of my observations from the game:

-Did anyone else notice that LeClair's name wasn't even mentioned until the 3rd period? Yeah, he's an impact forward that the Sabres could've used. :rolleyes:

-For anyone who watched OLN tonight, did you know that Sidney Crosby plays for Pittsburgh? :rolleyes:

There are other rookies in the league, OLN. The announcers took at least a minute to even acknowledge that Gaustad had just scored his first career goal.

The Crosby thing is a bit annoying, but I guess if the Sabres had won that lottery we'd be basking in the glow of all the attention ... it is what it is, nothing you can do ... I'd rather the Sabres win the game while they kiss Corsby's butt all night than vice-versa. Buffalo was the better team top to bottom tonight and will be all season, that Pittsburgh defense is brutal.

I only got to see the 3rd. What a fast paced period. Can't wait for Vanek to break the seal, because once he does I expect to see him keep it going. I definitely see at least 20 goals in his future this season, probably about 25. Too bad Ovechkin is in the league this year for the 1st time because Vanek will be a Calder candidate.

I thought the D played fairly well in their own end. Lydman got beat once and Tallinder had one clearing attempt get blocked, but other than that they were solid. I thought Lydman was actually better than the 1st 2 games, but again, I only saw the 3rd period. Kalinen didn't seem to be bothered by the groin. Campbell was staying with his man in the Sabres zone. I'm not ready to jump on his bandwagon just yet, but he does not look like the old Campbell I knew and couldn't stand.

Don't know what it will take to get Drury a goal. Too bad the league doesn't keep stats on posts hit, he'd have to be close to a league leader. If they ever do go to narrower posts to increase the size of the net he might get 60. I thought he played solid overall. I was glad to see the one earred man get the winner. He's been working hard all season.

As for the Crosby lovefest on OLN. Get used to it. They are trying to drum up interest in the league through individual players, and Crosby is the one they have decided to hook their cart to. They aren't marketing to the hardcore fan, because like Chris Rock says: "hockey is like heroin". They know they have us, although if the various outlets continue to NOT SHOW various games, they may lose some.

I was flipping back and forth from the post game show to the Ottawa game. I thought that, considering they are trying to get the casual fan with the post game show, it was reasonable; what I saw of it at least.

As for the Crosby lovefest on OLN. Get used to it. They are trying to drum up interest in the league through individual players, and Crosby is the one they have decided to hook their cart to. They aren't marketing to the hardcore fan, because like Chris Rock says: "hockey is like heroin". They know they have us, although if the various outlets continue to NOT SHOW various games, they may lose some.

I know that this is the way it's going to be all year, but they went a bit overboard today. My personal favorite was when they went to that little split screen shot of Recchi talking about him right when the Sabres had a scoring chance.

I don't buy into the market one superstar idea. I think it's very shortsighted. If OLN is going to make a go with this tv deal, they need to market more than one guy. They're not going to be showing Penguin games each night. Will that non-hardcore fan tune in for these other games if none of the players are marketed to them?

i feel sorry for Vanek, he deserves a goal by now. i guess it'll just take time. it was about 10 games into the AHL season before he really started producing. then he didnt bloody stop!

anyway, Congrats to Gausted for his 1st career NHL goal, in only his 5th career NHL game. apparently our 4th line was used more and more effective last night.

I know that this is the way it's going to be all year, but they went a bit overboard today.  My personal favorite was when they went to that little split screen shot of Recchi talking about him right when the Sabres had a scoring chance. 

I don't buy into the market one superstar idea.  I think it's very shortsighted.  If OLN is going to make a go with this tv deal, they need to market more than one guy.  They're not going to be showing Penguin games each night.  Will that non-hardcore fan tune in for these other games if none of the players are marketed to them?

I don't think they are going to only market one player, but definitely between small market Buffalo and Pittsburgh, Crosby is the primary one they have latched onto. Unless he ends up a bust, which barring injury I doubt, he will get an inordinate amount of coverage.

I only saw the 3rd period, but it seemed to me like they were having a love fest with Fleury as well. Vanek did get some mention as well and was compared to Bobby Orr on his wraparound. If he'd have scored on the play, who knows how much they would have covered him. They also pointed out Miller was the best goalie in the AHL last year.

They interviewed Gaustad at the 2nd intermission. The one common theme in all of these is that the guys they were talking too and about were young.

That being said, I expect tonight's OLN game to focus on a rookie coach that probably will turn out to be a bust. I'd also expect a fair amount of banter about Saprykin and Nagy. I don't know who Dallas has that's good and young, so this broadcast will probably be more of an old guard love fest with the coach and Hull being centers of attention and Modano, Guerin, and Zubov as well.

7. But the concession stands and metro still don't have their acts together.

The concession stands we agree on. I don't care that they want to price gouge me(it is to be expected), but should it really take 20-30 minutes to find your way to the front of the line?

Just watched my tivo's pens - sabes game. I didnt relaize it was hsown on OLN out here in LA.

Mannnn, the sabes were buzzing during that first period. On the first goal, it was all hard skating and hitting by Grier and Pyatt, with a sweet pass by Grier. Then rory actually finished. A very nice goal.

Archived