What's up with OLN & Dish Network?

Barnabov

Anyone know what the deal is - they are showing some crap programming in place of the game. I heard that there was some dispute between OLN & Dish Network but with the Top 160 Package (all the channels they offer) which includes OLN, I thought they'd show NHL games. The opening night game was on but that was because OLN made it available to all networks. This sucks - I'm calling Dish & OLN right now and if they don't resolve this they can consider themselves cancelled. What's worse is that because OLN is supposed to be carrying the game, NHL Center Ice isn't showing nor are the Fox Regionals. Guess that's what one gets for being stuck in the land of the enemy (Dallas)...

Guest OH Sabres Backer

Same here in Dayton, OH...What the heck is up with this? For a company trying to compete with ESPN, they are doing a crappy job of sticking with their schedule...

I spoke with Dish Technical Support (if you call Customer Service/Programming you get someone in Southeast Asia or somewhere) and they claim to not know of any problems except to say that it must be OLN's fault. I've tried to call OLN but no answer

Is the person getting the game on DTV (Direct TV I assume) - Admin - getting it on the OLN channel or another channel like MSG or NHL Center Ice? Thanks for letting me know...

You can't tell the TV networks without a scorecard

10/5/2005

By ALAN PERGAMENT

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051...?tbd2020632.asp

From the Buffalo News - guess the part where they talk about OLN's power play with cable networks means no NHL games - so where is OLN showing the games? Must be only on Comcast (their parent company) cable systems. What a screw up by the NHL and Bettman - nothing like negotiating TV rights on channels no one gets.

I spoke with Dish Technical Support (if you call Customer Service/Programming you get someone in Southeast Asia or somewhere) and they claim to not know of any problems except to say that it must be OLN's fault. I've tried to call OLN but no answer

Is the person getting the game on DTV (Direct TV I assume) - Admin - getting it on the OLN channel or another channel like MSG or NHL Center Ice? Thanks for letting me know...

Same thing with my Digital Cable. They said that they just take the feed from OLN and show it. When I explained that some of these guys were able to see it, they said that for whatever reason OLN must be giving DTV a different signal than they are for them (Cox Cable). Basically, they washed their hands of it and said if the wrong programming is on, it's OLN's fault, not theirs.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's arse whose fault it is, I just want it fixed dang it!!!

You can't tell the TV networks without a scorecard

10/5/2005

By ALAN PERGAMENT

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051...?tbd2020632.asp

From the Buffalo News - guess the part where they talk about OLN's power play with cable networks means no NHL games - so where is OLN showing the games?  Must be only on Comcast (their parent company) cable systems.  What a screw up by the NHL and Bettman - nothing like negotiating TV rights on channels no one gets.

Between periods of the Sabres game I caught some of the game on opening night on OLN. I do not have Comcast, we have Cox Communications in this area, so I don't know if that article is accurate...

EDIT: Comcast Sports Network (Baltimore/Washington coverage) is channel 35 and OLN is on 34, both of which are included Cox's basic package here in Va Beach. The high-tier issue that Comcast has with Adelphia isn't, or at least shouldn't be, an issue down here.

Guest BostonBilliever

I was going to try to watch the game here in Boston... but it isn't on either. We don't have Comcast, we have RCN, they don't blackout the game in areas that have a local game on right?

I really wish I knew what was going on!

On Time Warner cable I can get all the games on NHL Center ICE (it's still freeview week) EXCEPT the Sabres - it is not on Center Ice because it is the National Game (apparently shown in 3 households) on OLN. The only saving grace is that the Sabres are only set fort OLN once more this season. It sounds like when it is all sorted out you'll only get the NHL on OLN if you have Comcast or ,now, DirecTV. Admittedly I'm guessing , pissed, and pessimistic although listening to RJ and Batman on the internet.

No - I'm talking about Time Warner Digital and High Def in Memphis TN

Like someone posted earlier, I finally got through to a rep at OLN. Nice enough guy, but he basically told me that only DTV is getting the feed and their techs are working on it, but he was candid in saying that he has no idea why it's not being shown, and that it's not just certain providers and/or regions, it's a national problem.

He suggested listening via internet with the TV volume turned down in hopes the game will come on any minute - which is what I've been doing, jumping back and forth from OLN to Center Ice.

So here we are at the second intermission and I'm seeing a show about some ship that sunk somewhere... ARGH! Those losers at OLN should stick to hunting, fishing, and snowboarding programs and leave real sports to those capable of actually broadcasting the games.

At least that way nobody would notice their screw ups. :angry:

Thanks to the previous poster - that's the best explanation of the situation I've heard so far (OLN says they have a problem but don't know why). At least they are saying it's their fault. I hate the pass the blame they play back and forth between OLN and the local providers. Here is some more info from the OLN message board...

FYI - I see they are supposed to re-show the game later tonight. I'll set the VCR and hope the game gets shown in it's entirety but I'm not expecting it - I think OLN is trying to lock out other cable providers and Dish Network - can't say that denying us an NHL game gives them much leverage - idiots!!!

Keep calling 1-800-OUTDOOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote

machineman

They are answering, and believe me they are getting irritated...

They will give you some BS about calling the main office, tell them its close and you want a supervisor.

They will tell you they dont know why it's not on, and they are sending an email to corporate offices to find out why.

KEEP CALLING.

Don't be rude, becuase we want are voices to be heard, not ignored.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote

TheRizzo

I've called three times so far. They are definitely getting irrated.

Re:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote

GoPens

TheRizzo wrote:

I've called three times so far. They are definitely getting irrated.

They told me it's your local cable provider's fault.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote

r.westward

i just got through and the guy said he didn't understand. i could hear some other chick in the backgroung talking to someone else about the same thing and she just kept apologizing. I WANT THIS GAME LIVE!!!!

Why do you have Dish Network instead of DirecTV? Are you NOT Bills fans, too? Switch to DirecTV, get the packages, and see your teams, every game.

I've seen every Sabres game this year on DirecTV, and haven't missed any Bills or Sabres game since 2001 when I got DirecTV and the packages.

What's the draw with Dish Network? Free equipment? Big deal if they suck! You can get systems really cheap now for DirecTV. I wouldn't be without it.

By the way, I live in Northern Virginia. You guys missed a thrilling game last night. I was jumping up and down, screaming, and generally had a ball watching it.

My 2 cents.

Here are the draws for me with Dish Network over DirecTV (and I just switched in the last couple of weeks):

Free equipment (And that was a savings of over $200 because I need an HD receiver)

Better picture quality (The quality of the picture now is waaaaay better than it was with DirecTV on the one TV that didn't change so it's not an HD improvement thing)

It's a little cheaper per month

The only things I don't like is Dish Network's guide and the fact that I don't get ESPN2HD.

Very well then. But what about the Bills?

Unless blacked out, its on the local affiliates.. Having DTV's NFL Package dosen't get around blackout rules.. so there is no advantage for Buffalo Market Customers to get DirecTV unless they care about the other teams in the leauge.. I do.. But thats why I've got the NFL's scorboard page bookmarked :)

-Tom

Here are the draws for me with Dish Network over DirecTV (and I just switched in the last couple of weeks):

Free equipment (And that was a savings of over $200 because I need an HD receiver)

Better picture quality (The quality of the picture now is waaaaay better than it was with DirecTV on the one TV that didn't change so it's not an HD improvement thing)

It's a little cheaper per month

The only things I don't like is Dish Network's guide and the fact that I don't get ESPN2HD.

Did you have the old round dish or the oval one w/ DTV? I've got the oval one and am very happy with picture quality.

Guest John Lodge

The Problem with OLN and Dish Network as well as numerous other 3rd party providers is COMCAST itself.

Comcast owns OLN and in every market where OLN is not in a tiered package that reaches AT LEAST 40 percent of that providers subs OLN is holding back the NHL feed.

This seems to be against their contracts with all of the other providers. I hope Comcast gets sued.

John

Archived