GAME DISCUSSION (5/10/2006)

Knightrider

Wow, 1.8 seconds left and Alfreddson ( C ) can't bury result of mistake made by Drury ( C ). That play was such a microcosm of the series. The Sabres don't make the huge mistake often in this series, but the few times they do, Ottawa doesn't seem able to capitalize on them.

This game had a very similar feel to the Sabres - Phlyers game 3. It seemed to me that Buffalo was playing well, but due to a bad bounce and an unlucky/ untimely trip and several bad bounces at the other end and the game was tied. The difference was, when Forsberg had the opportunity to capitalize on the breaks and drag his team with him, he got it done. Alfie, although he got 2 assists (neither a primary IIRC) he did not make the play that his team NEEDED him to make. He needed to score and rip Buffalo's heart out. He didn't and now Buffalo has an opportunity to try to do something that very few people thought was probable before the series started.

Also, Ryan has played as well as can be expected these last 2 games. The only times he has been beat were off of crazy bounces and/or deflections. He has definitely bounced back from game 1. Hopefully he can keep that going for about 9 more W's.

Finally, my wife pointed it out to me during Max's interview on the shootout, but we now understand how Max changes direction and sees so much that no one else seems to see. His eyes did not stay in 1 place during his interview for more than 1.5 seconds during the entire interview. They were up, down, left, right, here, there, everywhere. Watching his eyes was like watching him skate with the puck. There was no telling where they were going next.

What a game. What a game.

Was it my imagination, or did Dumont's shot appear to be heading for the crossbar, then dropped about six inches? Probably seeing things...

I can't get it out of my mind that the Hockey Gods have us a little payback on this fifth anniversary of losing the Penguins series. They have Mario one heaven-sent goal, and tonight a puck drops from the sky right into the glove of J.P. Dumont. Someone get a squirrel. Off with its head! We praise you, Hockey Gods!

What a great win. This team has so much heart. I don't think they even thought for a second about caving in when Ottawa tied it. They just wanted to get out there and win it.

Meanwhile, how lame were the Senators? Hello, ladies, the series is not over at 2-0. You could have come out playing like your lives depended on it (ie like the Sabres come out EVERY time), b/c if you won tonight it would have been 2-1 and very much a series. But you were already half-resigned to losing the series and you pretty much mailed it in.

If I were a Senators fan I'd be pretty PO'd and I'd be wanting a new coach. Too bad the best one in the league works in Buffalo.

Separately:

1. Miller is the man. He had 4 or 5 huge saves. If he keeps on playing like this we are going to keep winning.

2. Great to see Max reappear. Definitely his best game of the playoffs.

3. Novotny played pretty well. He contributed substantially more than Vanek.

4. Emery isn't the worst goalie in the league, but he's probably in the bottom third. How could Muckler not pick up a goalie? This was his shot at the cup -- that team is going to get broken up in free agency after this year. He's no Darcy.

5. I'd love to see us sweep, the Devils win a couple of games, and we get a week or so to rest and heal the wounded so we get Kalinin and Connolly back at some point in the next round.

6. If we score first tomorrow night and don't play sloppy, Ottawa is going to quit.

7. I thought Tallinder and Lydman each had a great game.

Go Sabres.

What a great win. This team has so much heart. I don't think they even thought for a second about caving in when Ottawa tied it. They just wanted to get out there and win it.

Meanwhile, how lame were the Senators? Hello, ladies, the series is not over at 2-0. You could have come out playing like your lives depended on it (ie like the Sabres come out EVERY time), b/c if you won tonight it would have been 2-1 and very much a series. But you were already half-resigned to losing the series and you pretty much mailed it in.

If I were a Senators fan I'd be pretty PO'd and I'd be wanting a new coach. Too bad the best one in the league works in Buffalo.

Separately:

1. Miller is the man. He had 4 or 5 huge saves. If he keeps on playing like this we are going to keep winning.

2. Great to see Max reappear. Definitely his best game of the playoffs.

3. Novotny played pretty well. He contributed substantially more than Vanek.

4. Emery isn't the worst goalie in the league, but he's probably in the bottom third. How could Muckler not pick up a goalie? This was his shot at the cup -- that team is going to get broken up in free agency after this year. He's no Darcy.

5. I'd love to see us sweep, the Devils win a couple of games, and we get a week or so to rest and heal the wounded so we get Kalinin and Connolly back at some point in the next round.

6. If we score first tomorrow night and don't play sloppy, Ottawa is going to quit.

7. I thought Tallinder and Lydman each had a great game.

Go Sabres.

What, you don't consider signing Morrison off waivers "picking up a goalie"?!?

As to getting a week off, I don't want that long of a rest for the boys. '80 taught me that a week+ of rest is a bad thing for a hot hockey team (even a hockey team with some key contributors on IR). I would love to see 3-4 days rest. So my best case scenario is Buffalo wins tomorrow, NJ stretches their series to 5 games and the west teams win in 4 or 5 as well (6 tops).

Unfortunately i have to again Say congrats to the sabers... I only got to listen on the radio since i was at work all night so i really can't say much about the game... But from what i gather, the refs put away the whistles in the OT period - advantage sabres - not that it woulda changed the outcome - but maybe prolongued it. And don't get me wrong - im not blaming the Loss on the refereeing, because the five on three, and the penalty at the end helped us out a lot, and i really don't know if they were deserved at all.

I really don't know what to say more than that for now - that win really took the heart out of the city and The senator's fans. We all know a comeback is possible - I personally do not think it will happen, but i still back my team, and know that they have the ability to pull it off. Congrats to the sabers again, on a well-earned win. Hopefully the Sens can bring something so this awesome series can be atleast continued temporarily. I would comment more, but again - i only got to listen on the radio///rush to the bar tv.

Unfortunately i have to again Say congrats to the sabers... I only got to listen on the radio since i was at work all night so i really can't say much about the game... But from what i gather, the refs put away the whistles in the OT period - advantage sabres - not that it woulda changed the outcome - but maybe prolongued it. And don't get me wrong - im not blaming the Loss on the refereeing, because the five on three, and the penalty at the end helped us out a lot, and i really don't know if they were deserved at all.

I really don't know what to say more than that for now - that win really took the heart out of the city and The senator's fans. We all know a comeback is possible - I personally do not think it will happen, but i still back my team, and know that they have the ability to pull it off. Congrats to the sabers again, on a well-earned win. Hopefully the Sens can bring something so this awesome series can be atleast continued temporarily. I would comment more, but again - i only got to listen on the radio///rush to the bar tv.

You're a stand-up guy, Havlet...Even if you DO live in the wrong country/state. The series ain't over yet, but the Sens' gooses look pretty much cooked. The good news is that you're really only a goaltender away.

Well i Realize that it is not over - The sens did come back from 3-0 against Jersey in the Conference finals, only to lose in 7. So i know its possible, they just have to get back to basics.

Close, it was 3-1 for Joisey. Otters won game 1 in OT.

By the way, until your team is eliminated, I am not comfortable with this series. While I do (obviously) expect the Sabres to end up on top being up 3-0, Havlat scares the heck out of me.

Close, it was 3-1 for Joisey. Otters won game 1 in OT.

By the way, until your team is eliminated, I am not comfortable with this series. While I do (obviously) expect the Sabres to end up on top being up 3-0, Havlat scares the heck out of me.

With Alfredsson replacing Havlat, both the top line and Havlat got a little less scary.

My game thoughts...

-The arena was filled with "Let's Go Buffalo" & "EMMMEERRYYY" chants all night long. Going down the stairwells after the game it continued with "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" chants.

-Saying the arena was loud after Dumont's goal would be the understatement of all-time.

-It looks like Vanek is firmly in the press box for the near future unless there is a rash of injuries.

-Pregame party was good except they could have used about 50 more beer vendors. Did they think everyone was going to show up and want to drink pop? <_<

-Tallinder is the man!!!

-Novotny showed great poise in his first NHL playoff game.

-Now that's the Max I've been looking for.

-Great effort by Miller and solid team defense. The 2nd period was somewhat weak, but I thought the Sabres had the edge in play in the 1st & 3rd except for when the refs were trying to give Ottawa the game.

-Fitzpatrick stepped in and gave a solid effort.

-When the PA announcer got on to announce the game winning goal by Dumont, the entire crowd did it with him. VERY COOL!

-WTF were the refs looking at(review) after the OT goal.

My game thoughts...

-WTF were the refs looking at(review) after the OT goal.

They were making sure that whatever stick might have possibly deflected the puck wasn't a Sabres (Gaustad) stick above the crossbar.

It was the right thing to do. Too bad the league didn't believe in that 7 years ago. :angry:

They were making sure that whatever stick might have possibly deflected the puck wasn't a Sabres (Gaustad) stick above the crossbar.

It was the right thing to do. Too bad the league didn't believe in that 7 years ago. :angry:

Great jab by Lindy in his postgame presser. When asked if he had heard what the officials were looking at after Dumont's goal he responded:

"They have to look at everything now, just to make sure. It's something they started after '99". CLASSIC. It was great.

..... Err Havlat has not been on the top line lol. He has played with Fish/Schaef the whole playoffs... He plays on the top PP unit if thats what you mean?

Juju, he's right on that one.

Vermette was playing with Spezza and Heatley during large portions of the other games. Alfie was with Smolinski and Eaves during most even strength situations.