Draft needs

skip jibblet

20 minutes ago, skip jibblet said:

Trade anyone of the picks in a deal to get an experienced partner for Power. Must have some crunch in his game. 

2. Add RHD, early and often.

Welcome.

They do need to add to the D pipeline. A RHD or two would be nice. There are plenty available in the second round, where they have two picks. Keep in mind these guys are 2-4 years away from joining the team.

I think Power’s partner can be found in the UFA pool, Ryan Graves maybe. I know he is LHD but Dahlin/Mule seem to be fine. Trading may work too, I liked a guy like Hronek last year.

I think they need a goalie in the later rounds, my preference would be a more experienced guy like Milic or Suchanek, who have been passed over in the last few drafts and are ready to turn pro.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, skip jibblet said:

Trade anyone of the picks in a deal to get an experienced partner for Power. Must have some crunch in his game. 

Welcome to the board!

4 hours ago, skip jibblet said:

Welcome, Skip.

I like your gumption, Skipsie.  Can I call you Skipsie in the time honoured Sabre tradition?

In a deep draft I think I would keep #13.  The other picks I would listen to offers.

I think it's more likely that a short-term partner for Power will be signed.  He would not have to be RHD, but it would be nice to drop Joker down to #5 for now.

Drafting D is always smart, especially RHD, but I agree with Inky .. best player available regardless of position is the way to go.

Welcome to ‘Space, @skip jibblet

Always BPA, but just make sure that the draft board is loaded with well-scouted defensemen this season so you can nab the d-man if you’ve got him rated with the same potential as a forward.

And unlike seasons/GMs past, keep all avenues open: Russia, CHL, US HS and USHL, etc.  Don’t avoid locations, avoid the wrong play style, personality, and hockey IQ. 

I know the prevailing strategy is BPA, but I personally wish this could be augmented to consider "need" as well.  If your pipeline is already loaded with talented, but smaller forwards....I'd like to see more weight applied to draftees who can play power forward or physical defense play.   Yes trades can happen, but I'd argue that they don't happen enough and the price to buy UFA's is too great.  If there is a viable power forward or strong defender that is "close" to the BPA, then trade down or just take the "need" player.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Trade 13OA and VO for McDavid. 

Bring hasek out of retirement to play bubble hockey against Levi for the right to be starter. 

Bring back Ralph and allow him to make amends by cleaning toilets... With his mouth. 

Breadsticks and Enzo sauce at all concessions. Jagr peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches and Flutie Flakes breaks between periods. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Trade 13OA and VO for McDavid. 

Bring hasek out of retirement to play bubble hockey against Levi for the right to be starter. 

Bring back Ralph and allow him to make amends by cleaning toilets... With his mouth. 

Breadsticks and Enzo sauce at all concessions. Jagr peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches and Flutie Flakes breaks between periods. 

Don't forget the "Whammy Weenies"!!!

8 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

But you can still find D-men in the draft…..

Sure.  The draft just shouldn’t be looked at to fill out the roster.  Rarely unless it’s a top 3 pick, will that player be ready to contribute the same year as drafted. I’m hoping they draft their fair share of D but I a pinning an even larger amount of hope on the Sabres actually bringing in a D man over 6’ tall who isn’t an offense first (and only many times) dman.  Give me a partner for Power and someone that’ll knock your block off.  Preferably that would be the same player. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Sure.  The draft just shouldn’t be looked at to fill out the roster.  Rarely unless it’s a top 3 pick, will that player be ready to contribute the same year as drafted. I’m hoping they draft their fair share of D but I a pinning an even larger amount of hope on the Sabres actually bringing in a D man over 6’ tall who isn’t an offense first (and only many times) dman.  Give me a partner for Power and someone that’ll knock your block off.  Preferably that would be the same player. 

The Buffalo Sabres only have 1 defender under 6ft tall and they don't draft them under 6ft either. 

On 6/4/2023 at 7:18 PM, Carmel Corn said:

I know the prevailing strategy is BPA, but I personally wish this could be augmented to consider "need" as well.  If your pipeline is already loaded with talented, but smaller forwards....I'd like to see more weight applied to draftees who can play power forward or physical defense play.   Yes trades can happen, but I'd argue that they don't happen enough and the price to buy UFA's is too great.  If there is a viable power forward or strong defender that is "close" to the BPA, then trade down or just take the "need" player.

Drafting for need is such a strange concept when you’re dealing with kids who are 5-6 years away. Maybe you can fill a more short term need in the 1st and maybe 2nd round, but beyond that point, I don’t believe that drafting for need exists. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Drafting for need is such a strange concept when you’re dealing with kids who are 5-6 years away. Maybe you can fill a more short term need in the 1st and maybe 2nd round, but beyond that point, I don’t believe that drafting for need exists. 

Agreed.

If you must draft for need, you do it organizationally. My thoughts are... don't look at the NHL roster because it's 3 years out. And mostly, you can skip the AHL roster, too. Instead, you can base your needs on what is missing in all the feeder systems to maintain a healthy pipeline of potential NHL players. Example: Outside the NHL/AHL, the Sabres have 1 LHD (Lindgren), 1 RHD (Komarov), and 1 G (Leinonen) who you would give a "maybe NHL" grade to if they hit their peak and stay healthy. Nyberg and Lyckasen both appear to be outside the teams' plans. This draft, you'd best find some D and G.

Also, this year, I still seriously consider a late pick on a goalie for an AHL backup gig (Milic, Suchanek). I don't think they both make it through to UDFA status. That would be a need pick to keep Rochester competitive so the kids all get meaningful games and a playoff-caliber squad.

Also, also, draft by the coolest and most Star Warsy-sounding names. That's a need.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed.

If you must draft for need, you do it organizationally. My thoughts are... don't look at the NHL roster because it's 3 years out. And mostly, you can skip the AHL roster, too. Instead, you can base your needs on what is missing in all the feeder systems to maintain a healthy pipeline of potential NHL players. Example: Outside the NHL/AHL, the Sabres have 1 LHD (Lindgren), 1 RHD (Komarov), and 1 G (Leinonen) who you would give a "maybe NHL" grade to if they hit their peak and stay healthy. Nyberg and Lyckasen both appear to be outside the teams' plans. This draft, you'd best find some D and G.

Also, this year, I still seriously consider a late pick on a goalie for an AHL backup gig (Milic, Suchanek). I don't think they both make it through to UDFA status. That would be a need pick to keep Rochester competitive so the kids all get meaningful games and a playoff-caliber squad.

Also, also, draft by the coolest and most Star Warsy-sounding names. That's a need.

Well, there's a guy called Mania so... can we take him? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres have to draft BPA and keep doing well in the draft going….

Weigh where they are and possible move around the draft to get them. I want a big forward in the first round.

Hopefully there is at least one D-man worth a spot in the second round. Hopefully we end up with at least three by the time the draft is over…. I hope we find a goalie worth a pick as well….

We still don’t what we have in a lot of our prospects. You get better by drafting BPA…..You get better by competition. Let’s make Rochester bust at the seams with talent. This will allow us to have plug and play players coming up in a couple -three years….Win a Calder Cup then a Stanley Cup….

plus I don’t want rookies playing on the Sabres this year unless they are truly ready. Let them fully develop (as much as they can at least) in Rochester. We give the Sabres two to three of the right vets this year and we can go deep into the playoffs…. Everyone knows we need a big, tough #4 stay at home RHD. Maybe it’s best that we add a vet goalie to lead the team. Maybe we need a veteran forward to build a superior NHL third line. Give Casey a guy that he can really connect with….

If we did we these two or three things correctly this year we should not only go to the playoffs, but win in the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

The Sabres have to draft BPA and keep doing well in the draft going….

Weigh where they are and possible move around the draft to get them. I want a big forward in the first round.

Hopefully there is at least one D-man worth a spot in the second round. Hopefully we end up with at least three by the time the draft is over…. I hope we find a goalie worth a pick as well….

We still don’t what we have in a lot of our prospects. You get better by drafting BPA…..You get better by competition. Let’s make Rochester bust at the seams with talent. This will allow us to have plug and play players coming up in a couple -three years….Win a Calder Cup then a Stanley Cup….

plus I don’t want rookies playing on the Sabres this year unless they are truly ready. Let them fully develop (as much as they can at least) in Rochester. We give the Sabres two to three of the right vets this year and we can go deep into the playoffs…. Everyone knows we need a big, tough #4 stay at home RHD. Maybe it’s best that we add a vet goalie to lead the team. Maybe we need a veteran forward to build a superior NHL third line. Give Casey a guy that he can really connect with….

If we did we these two or three things correctly this year we should not only go to the playoffs, but win in the playoffs.

I got news for you… There will be rookies on this team next season. Almost all Rookies don’t look “ready” in their first year. And what does that even mean? It’s such a subjective term… The term “ready”. Everyone’s definition will be different. Yours isn’t wrong. Mine isn’t wrong. The next person isn’t wrong. It’s just a different way of looking at what “ready” really is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.