GDT- Bears @ Americans, 6:05pm, TV-MSG (NYS only) & AHL TV, Radio 95.7 FM/950 AM (ROC)

Porous Five Hole

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Savoie took Cederqvist's spot for 2 games, but Cederqvist was coming back from a knee-on-knee hit in the opening round. He returned for a bit, but maybe was sore enough that it made sense for him to come out of the lineup. Cederqvist returned last game and assisted on both of the Amerks' goals.

The best thing for the Amerks right now is probably keeping Savoie in the press box as he doesn't yet play at AHL speed and Hershey plays with sufficient speed and a very sound defense to stymie WHL play-speed and Savoie and his small size. Add to that that the refs are letting Hershey play clutch-and-grab playoff hockey and it's a poor mix for him. Cederqvist and Passolt as grown adults are better options for the team. But, it was good for Savoie to see what he'll be up against in the future.

This is the most substantial response to my post, so this is the one I'm replying to...

1.  Obviously, I didn't watch the game yesterday; I was busy chaperoning parents around.  So that's why I didn't know that he was scratched!

2.  I have had doubts that Savoie could contribute immediately at the expense of another skater who has been with the team all year.  

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I prefaced my initial comment by saying it wasn’t all Suban’s fault so yeah, uncovered players were an issue, no doubt. What goalie doesn’t benefit from sound D play in their own end? And perhaps I should have said “puck control” instead of “rebound” because he lost sight/control of the puck on one of their 3rd period goals and simply couldn’t move laterally to his left quick enough to stop another. Terrible technique. 

Opposing players are going to be left open during games. It’s simply part of the game. Good goalies need to make stops when that happens, especially at crunch time, especially when his teammates screwed the pooch. Malcom came up short. But as has been pointed out by others, that’s why he is an AHL goalie. 

Going to disagree. Subban was very good this series with a few spectacular saves thrown in. But of course that is never enough. The problem was all in front of Subban. The Bears smothered the Amerks.

Do you not see that when the Amerks are trapped in their own end for two+ minutes, unable to clear the puck, players getting tired while the Bears buzz around. Your first thought in that situation is goalie????

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Going to disagree. Subban was very good this series with a few spectacular saves thrown in. But of course that is never enough. The problem was all in front of Subban. The Bears smothered the Amerks.

Do you not see that when the Amerks are trapped in their own end for two+ minutes, unable to clear the puck, players getting tired while the Bears buzz around. Your first thought in that situation is goalie????

Again, as I said previously, I am not dismissing the poor D play in front of him.

But do you not see that a goalie needs to make a simple save when the play breaks down in front of him? As good as you say he was, he wasn’t good when it mattered most. Imo, a good goalie stops two of those three third period goals.

Let’s not revisit the same argument we’ve already had about UPL. I say it’s a combination of poor D play and poor goalie play while you seem to think its all about poor D play alone. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Again, as I said previously, I am not dismissing the poor D play in front of him.

But do you not see that a goalie needs to make a simple save when the play breaks down in front of him? As good as you say he was, he wasn’t good when it mattered most. Imo, a good goalie stops two of those three third period goals.

Let’s not revisit the same argument we’ve already had about UPL. I say it’s a combination of poor D play and poor goalie play while you seem to think its all about poor D play alone. 

To quote the Princess Bride, I don't think you know what that phrase means. 

You keep saying Subban should have made 2 of those 3 saves without even understanding what was happening on the ice when they were scored. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Saying something should have happened doesn't make it so.

Subban played well enough to win 2 of the 3 games lost. The rest of the team failed. Oh sure, you give lip service by acknowledging maybe something could have been done better by the Amerks skaters. But that part of the game WAS the failure, not the goalkeeping. You can't stop playing hockey for two periods, allowing your opponent extended possessions in your zone, and then blame the goalie for finally cracking under the pressure.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To quote the Princess Bride, I don't think you know what that phrase means. 

You keep saying Subban should have made 2 of those 3 saves without even understanding what was happening on the ice when they were scored. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Saying something should have happened doesn't make it so.

Subban played well enough to win 2 of the 3 games lost. The rest of the team failed. Oh sure, you give lip service by acknowledging maybe something could have been done better by the Amerks skaters. But that part of the game WAS the failure, not the goalkeeping. You can't stop playing hockey for two periods, allowing your opponent extended possessions in your zone, and then blame the goalie for finally cracking under the pressure.

Right. I have absolutely no understanding about what I saw. Goalies can only be challenged when the conditions in front of them are perfect in every way.

I think we are done here. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Right. I have absolutely no understanding about what I saw. Goalies can only be challenged when the conditions in front of them are perfect in every way.

I think we are done here. 

Keep your head in the ostrich hole.  No matter how often I try to explain it to you, you refuse to believe that the other 5 guys play as much of a role in winning as the goalie.  All you pay attention to is the end result. Not the clown show that leads up to the goal. FYI: Subban has a .920 save % this series. Maybe the guys upfront need to step it up.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Keep your head in the ostrich hole.  No matter how often I try to explain it to you, you refuse to believe that the other 5 guys play as much of a role in winning as the goalie.  All you pay attention to is the end result. Not the clown show that leads up to the goal. FYI: Subban has a .920 save % this series. Maybe the guys upfront need to step it up.

How many times do I have to repeat myself as I’ve stated at least twice now how OF COURSE the five guys in front of him bear responsibility as well. It’s a phucking team game!

Your position on goalies is intractable. You simply can’t fault them for anything that occurs in a game. When UPL couldn’t stop a shootout attempt to safe his life, did you blame that on the guys sitting on the bench, too?

No understanding. Head in the ostrich hole. Only pay attention to the end result. Laughable. 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.