Sabres announce Ryan Johnson signs 2 year ELC (Finally)

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, inkman said:

For some reason I had him 2” taller and 20 lbs heavier.  Kinda bummed he’s smaller than Joki.  

We all have to remember that Johnson was a JBot pick, with the exception of the obvious (Dahlin) and the one top-end defender (Samuelsson), every defenseman he drafted/acquired would be classified as a puck-moving defenseman with the attributes: slight in frame/bulk relative to height, good skater (relative to size), and an outlet-pass.

Note: They were being acquired for Housley's activated D system, which even though he was fired a bit before Johnson's 2020 draft, the draft board would have been influenced by that approach, as well as JBot's preferred type. It's really striking to see the type of defensemen signed/drafted/extended by GMTM, then JBot, and now Adams. 

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

I know @SDS hates "all about ________" threads, and old threads, but this is why they are necessary.  I'd bet that over 50% of the content in this thread has nothing to do with Johnson.

Agreed.. and it is highly annoying because while you can skip an entire thread about a subject (not ignore it, but speed to the end and move on) you cannot do so when you are inside a thread.  It would be nice if things were policed a bit more to stay on topic.

----

Back to Ryan Johnson.  I'm not going to speculate.  This is a high draft pick signing with the Sabres in a position of need. It's a positive signing and it deepens the pool, it creates more competition, and ultimately the level of talent on the Sabres i boosted because of it.  Assuming he doesn't completely flame out.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, LTS said:

Agreed.. and it is highly annoying because while you can skip an entire thread about a subject (not ignore it, but speed to the end and move on) you cannot do so when you are inside a thread.  It would be nice if things were policed a bit more to stay on topic.

----

Back to Ryan Johnson.  I'm not going to speculate.  This is a high draft pick signing with the Sabres in a position of need. It's a positive signing and it deepens the pool, it creates more competition, and ultimately the level of talent on the Sabres i boosted because of it.  Assuming he doesn't completely flame out.

And maybe it's just that all of these moves have happened at the same time, but it feels like they've added a ton of bodies.  I know a few are still in juniors, but it makes me want to see where they sit on the 50 contract limit.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

And maybe it's just that all of these moves have happened at the same time, but it feels like they've added a ton of bodies.  I know a few are still in juniors, but it makes me want to see where they sit on the 50 contract limit.

Currently at 33 per CapFriendly.  I'd imagine that'll increase by about 10 before camp.  

3 hours ago, inkman said:

For some reason I had him 2” taller and 20 lbs heavier.  Kinda bummed he’s smaller than Joki.  

UMinny had Johnson listed at 6'1 190lbs.   

The Sabres list Jokiharju at 6'0 200lbs. 

They're both lying 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So did andrew peters

I'm not sure how the Johnson thread became a Krueger/Ullmark and Gerbe/Peters thread, but for his career, Gerbe was trusted by his coaches to do something that Andrew Peters wasn't, and that's to play hockey. Gerbe averaged 14:31 TOI for his career. He was 3rd line winger. If you're dressing Peters in your lineup (career 3:52 TOI) you're basically only dressing 11 forwards.

Granted, Gerbe was a bottom-6 forward on a dwindling Sabres franchise, then two rebuilding teams in Carolina and Columbus. When Carolina's current forward core arrived, Gerbe was out of a job just like Skinner. But... Peters wouldn't have even dressed for that Carolina squad.

Dominik Hasek cleaned out his exhibits at the Czech HHOF.  Yes, this is the proper thread, apparently.  We are discussing Nathan Gerbe, Zdeno Chara, and Linus Ullmark, so why not the best goalie in the history of the NHL?

Edited by Eleven
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Dominik Hasek cleaned out his exhibits at the Czech HHOF.  Yes, this is the proper thread, apparently.  We are discussing Nathan Gerbe, Zdeno Chara, and Linus Ullmark, so why not the best goalie in the history of the NHL?

My house has a room ready to receive his items for full display.....to me 🤣 

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I couldn’t care less how tall or short a player is… I just want him to be effective as an NHL player.  And be a benefit to the team on and off the ice. I don’t care if it’s Nathan Gerbe or Zdeno Chara.

I would also like him to be an effective NHL player but at what point do the Sabres NEED someone like Trouba, Gudas, Cernak, McNabb, Borgen, etc.  Having 6 puck moving D sounds great and all but I feel like a little jam on the backend is in order particularly in the post season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

See the problem is.. you bash it.. and then do it. So do you want to be like everyone else?

3 hours ago, LTS said:

It would be nice if things were policed a bit more to stay on topic.

I beat that drum for a while but it never went anywhere.  I'm on a forum that has a thread like The Even Randomer Thread and if a series of posts on a given topic emerges, the mods break it off into its own thread, and in the case of the Seatbelt thread, they would move all the recent seatbelt related posts from the Randomer Thread into the Seatbelt thread.

I think @SDS made the call a long time ago that's simply not in the culture of this forum so here we are.  The boss gets to make the rules.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Granted, Gerbe was a bottom-6 forward on a dwindling Sabres franchise, then two rebuilding teams in Carolina and Columbus. When Carolina's current forward core arrived, Gerbe was out of a job just like Skinner. But... Peters wouldn't have even dressed for that Carolina squad.

I would say Gerbe was somewhere between a JAG and a character player who was good for the culture.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I would say Gerbe was somewhere between a JAG and a character player who was good for the culture.

That's accurate. He's a high-effort guy because he has no reach to coast with and by extension can be a fan favorite, but I agree: on most teams he would be a 12-13F or an AHLer. He just happened to be on 3 separate rebuilds where that effort/culture is needed and because of it he scored 25 or more points four times.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's accurate. He's a high-effort guy because he has no reach to coast with and by extension can be a fan favorite, but I agree: on most teams he would be a 12-13F or an AHLer. He just happened to be on 3 separate rebuilds where that effort/culture is needed and because of it he scored 25 or more points four times.

One of the coolest things about the movie *The Princess Bride* is that Andre the Giant drank two entire cases of beer on the way to the set once.  And, of course, he wasn't able to perform very well.  So they had to delay the scenes he was supposed to be in.

6 hours ago, LTS said:

See the problem is.. you bash it.. and then do it. So do you want to be like everyone else?

The most popular condiment in the US is salsa, apparently.  I would have thought it a children's condiment like ketchup.  But it's salsa?  Wow.