Sabres announce Ryan Johnson signs 2 year ELC (Finally)

Brawndo

The amount of posting about the Ryan Johnson “situation” is a textbook example of how the internet abhors a vacuum.

• We know he could have walked as a free agent in August like any college player could and few do.
  • We know the Sabres offered him a contract last summer that he mulled for a long time then turned down to finish college.
  • We know he did an interview last summer at development camp where he said he liked the Sabres and he planned on signing eventually.
  • We know he was offered another contract in April that he eventually accepted nearly 2 months later.

Everything else posted about his character and his thought process is complete and utter speculation based only on the above facts. Nobody knew anything else and in the absence of knowledge leapt to all kinds of wild conclusions.

Perception became reality, when really we didn’t have a clue.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

The amount of posting about the Ryan Johnson “situation” is a textbook example of how the internet abhors a vacuum.

• We know he could have walked as a free agent in August like any college player could and few do.
  • We know the Sabres offered him a contract last summer that he mulled for a long time then turned down to finish college.
  • We know he did an interview last summer at development camp where he said he liked the Sabres and he planned on signing eventually.
  • We know he was offered another contract in April that he eventually accepted nearly 2 months later.

Everything else posted about his character and his thought process is complete and utter speculation based only on the above facts. Nobody knew anything else and in the absence of knowledge leapt to all kinds of wild conclusions.

There are other facts that fueled the speculation.  His Dad, former NHLer Craig Johnson, is the Co-HC (w Chris Hajt) of LA’s affiliate the Ontario Reign.  

Honestly getting him signed was very important for the Sabres. KA’s plan to build and sign a young core and then supplement from his pipeline as they develop needs layers of prospects to work.  Last season we had no near ready kids in Roch and it cost us.  The Johnson signing changes that.  He now sits on top of the D layers

1) Johnson 

2) Novikov

3) Komarov and Lindgren

Still very thin, but at least the all 4 showed well last season.

Another positive aspect of this is that Johnson choose to be here.  He could have easily walked on August.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Swayman played in 37 games last year while Ullmark put up a vezina caliber season, Ullmark played in 49. Levi at any level has never played more that 37 in a season, so there will be a transition period to the NHL purely revolving around usage, regardless of skill level adjustments. We saw for example how much Comrie’s numbers suffered when trying to expand his sample size. How many games do you predict/think KA expects Levi to start, next season? What’s a reasonable expectation? Are you comfortable with a combination of UPL and Comrie starting, probably at the very least, 37 games? I think you are correct in your analysis that KA probably is. Would you yourself be comfortable with a usage breakdown that is going to lean heavily on at least 2 of those goalies? 

You ask terrific questions. They get at the heart of the main issue that will determine success next season and beyond. As I said in prior posts, I expect Levi to be our primary goalie, playing around half of the games. With respect to Comrie, I'm not convinced that his less than impressive stats reflect how well he can play. He was hurt for much of the season. I would be reluctant to make him our primary netminder but not afraid to give him extensive playing time as a backup. As far as UPL, he's shown flashes of play that are encouraging, and also lapses that are discouraging. He's still young with room to grow. These three goalies are going to compete against one another to earn their spots and roles. And that is how it should be. 

You ask if I am comfortable with the current assemblage of goalies on hand. No, I'm not. Candidly, I'm queasy about the situation. There are too many assumptions involved within the group to make me comfortable. The obvious follow-up question is: What would you be willing to do about it? I don't believe that our GM (or even I) would be willing to give up major assets to bring in (if even available) an ace goalie. The reason is that the organization is betting on Levi to be our mainstay goalie right now. 

I believe it should be more of a priority to improve the blueline. In that way you put the goalies in a better position to succeed. In my mind it is more doable and cost-effective to add talent to the defensive corps than to the goalie position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Speculation in an internet forum? You don’t say.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/28/2023 at 9:36 AM, JohnC said:

You ask terrific questions. They get at the heart of the main issue that will determine success next season and beyond. As I said in prior posts, I expect Levi to be our primary goalie, playing around half of the games. With respect to Comrie, I'm not convinced that his less than impressive stats reflect how well he can play. He was hurt for much of the season. I would be reluctant to make him our primary netminder but not afraid to give him extensive playing time as a backup. As far as UPL, he's shown flashes of play that are encouraging, and also lapses that are discouraging. He's still young with room to grow. These three goalies are going to compete against one another to earn their spots and roles. And that is how it should be. 

You ask if I am comfortable with the current assemblage of goalies on hand. No, I'm not. Candidly, I'm queasy about the situation. There are too many assumptions involved within the group to make me comfortable. The obvious follow-up question is: What would you be willing to do about it? I don't believe that our GM (or even I) would be willing to give up major assets to bring in (if even available) an ace goalie. The reason is that the organization is betting on Levi to be our mainstay goalie right now. 

I believe it should be more of a priority to improve the blueline. In that way you put the goalies in a better position to succeed. In my mind it is more doable and cost-effective to add talent to the defensive corps than to the goalie position. 

You keep repeating this based on KA’s public statements but they are actually contrary to facts in evidence as well as “well sourced” info.

1) He would have signed Ullmark for three years, probably four if he realized Boston was part of the equation 

2) He traded for Murray

3) He asked Gibson to waive his NMC

4) They have been linked to Hellebuyck by Mike Russo among others and Russo is as good as it gets when it comes to connected within NHL circles.

The onus is on Adams to complete the deal but speculation that he is confident going into the season with Levi as his main goalie is incorrect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

You keep repeating this based on KA’s public statements but they are actually contrary to facts in evidence as well as “well sourced” info.

1) He would have signed Ullmark for three years, probably four if he realized Boston was part of the equation 

2) He traded for Murray

4) They have been linked to Hellebuyck by Mike Russo among others and Russo is as good as it gets when it comes to connected within NHL circles.

The onus is on Adams to complete the deal but speculation that he is confident going into the season with Levi as his main goalie is incorrect.

But these are all examples of goalie moves from last season and before then, innit?  And no one really expects him to give up real assets for Helle, right?

At this point, I would not be surprised if KA brings in a goalie on the Murray/Gibson level if the price is right, but I would be very surprised if he were to trade, say, JJP or Kulich or this year's #1 for a goalie, or if he were to give a FA goalie a contract longer than 2 years.  I think Levi is his guy.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It's been reported though that Johnson will not play for the Amerks in this playoff run, right?  "He's here to be a part of this" kinda sounds like they might play him at some point.

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

But these are all examples of goalie moves from last season and before then, innit?  And no one really expects him to give up real assets for Helle, right?

At this point, I would not be surprised if KA brings in a goalie on the Murray/Gibson level if the price is right, but I would be very surprised if he were to trade, say, JJP or Kulich or this year's #1 for a goalie, or if he were to give a FA goalie a contract longer than 2 years.  I think Levi is his guy.

It's been reported though that Johnson will not play for the Amerks in this playoff run, right?  "He's here to be a part of this" kinda sounds like they might play him at some point.

They won’t be trading JJP or Kulich. I could see them swapping the first as part of a deal, though. However, there are at least three or four  free agent goalies they can get for free.
I think they believe Levi will be the guy eventually. I am 100% convinced, however, that they intend to upgrade over Comrie and UPL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's good to add more youth to a situation which is probably again our weakest strength. While we now have the stability at the top end on the defense core, we clearly need upgrades 4-7.  Johnson could easily step in, if he shows anything that he could in the AHL next year.  He will get a game in the NHL for sure. 

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

2) He traded for Murray

1.) It's apparent that Ullmark wanted to move on. So I'm not blaming the GM for his moving on.  KA stated on WGR when asked about not being able to sign him that at the end of the day he was not willing to go beyond the contract boundaries that he and his staff, including his analysts, were willing to pay. Those were his comments. 

2.) It was reported that KA wanted Murray as his first preference goalie. The problem was that Murray's contract stipulated that Buffalo was on his no-trade team. He wasn't willing to alter it. 

3.) It's not a surprise that Hellebuyck was linked to Buffalo last year. A large number of goalies in the league were linked to Buffalo because the Sabres were openly on the market. That was last year. The difference is this year Levi was added to the mix. 

You can speculate on what additional goalies the GM is going to bring in. I'm not criticizing you or anyone who has a different opinion on this issue. I believe that one of the three goalies already on the roster will be vying to be the starter. I believe it will be Levi, and if not, either Comrie or UPL. Again, last year was last year. And this year is a different situation. 

For those who believe Hellebuyck is going to be dealt for then is he going to be given an extension? And if not or if so, what do you think the GM  would be willing to give give up for him?

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

1.) It's apparent that Ullmark wanted to move on. So I'm not blaming the GM for his moving on.  KA stated on WGR when asked about not being able to sign him that at the end of the day he was not willing to go beyond the contract boundaries that he and his staff, including his analysts, were willing to pay. Those were his comments. 

I also remember this:

Boston Bruins’ Ullmark Can’t Resist Taking Dig At Buffalo

The Boston Bruins just finished a five-game road trip last week that took them through Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, Minnesota and Buffalo, and Ullmark didn’t sound like he did any sightseeing tours at one of those wintry destinations after stopping 40 shots in a 2-1 win over the Ottawa Senators at TD Garden on Tuesday night.

“It’s the same thing. We had a long road trip and we didn’t go through the best places on Earth,” said a smirking Ullmark to NESN during some postgame comments. 

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/03/21/boston-bruins-ullmark-cant-help-taking-dig-at-buffalo/

He just might not have enjoyed his time in Buffalo and was looking to go to a somewhat larger/what-he-considered-nicer city to play/live in.

Whether you agree with him or not (some will say Chicago and certainly Minneapolis are nice cities), it doesn't matter our opinion, HIS opinion matters and it sure sounds like he likes the living conditions/lifestyle in Boston vs those other cities listed, of course including Buffalo where he spent a few years. 

Ullmark isn't a guy who only came to Buffalo with another team and saw the airport, the 33 and the Arena, he lived here, and if this area isn't his favorite, getting him back here and happy to be here is just not likely to happen.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Carolina has 2 veteran FA goalies (Raanta and Anderson). Both are still capable and they aren't re-signing both as they have a younger cheaper option who's time is now. There's your goalie. Just pay one of them and we're all set. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Carolina has 2 veteran FA goalies (Raanta and Anderson). Both are still capable and they aren't re-signing both as they have a younger cheaper option who's time is now. There's your goalie. Just pay one of them and we're all set. 

Totally agree, or someone else in this mold who will sign a 1- or 2-year deal.  I don't think either of those 2 will get longer than a 2-year deal this summer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

2.) It was reported that KA wanted Murray as his first preference goalie. The problem was that Murray's contract stipulated that Buffalo was on his no-trade team. He wasn't willing to alter it. 

3.) It's not a surprise that Hellebuyck was linked to Buffalo last year. A large number of goalies in the league were linked to Buffalo because the Sabres were openly on the market. That was last year. The difference is this year Levi was added to the mix. 

You can speculate on what additional goalies the GM is going to bring in. I'm not criticizing you or anyone who has a different opinion on this issue. I believe that one of the three goalies already on the roster will be vying to be the starter. I believe it will be Levi, and if not, either Comrie or UPL. Again, last year was last year. And this year is a different situation. 

For those who believe Hellebuyck is going to be dealt for then is he going to be given an extension? And if not or if so, what do you think the GM  would be willing to give give up for him?

1) the point was, that he wanted to sign Ullmark and you still seem to expect one hundred percent public truthfulness.

I have no problem with your opinion. My problem is that you keep confirming your opinion based on KA’s public statements which quite frankly is naive.

I have no idea what ends up transpiring but I one hundred percent believe that KA wants better just as he wanted in the past.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The kid is not big on specificity, but ultimately says he took his time, considered his options, listened to what others had to say, and decided this is where he wants to be.

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-and-city-helped-ryan-johnson-choose-buffalo-right-in-my-heart/

“There’s something special here with the staff and the culture this team has,” said Johnson, who was drafted by the team’s previous regime. “It’s definitely trending on the upward, it’s noticeable. And also it’s cool even what’s happened in the city. Buffalo, I know it’s a major sports city and it’s cool seeing that they rallied behind Damar Hamlin, seeing the support of all the fan base.

I definitely want to be a part of something like that where’s it’s bigger than the game.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, tom webster said:

1) the point was, that he wanted to sign Ullmark and you still seem to expect one hundred percent public truthfulness.

I have no problem with your opinion. My problem is that you keep confirming your opinion based on KA’s public statements which quite frankly is naive.

I have no idea what ends up transpiring but I one hundred percent believe that KA wants better just as he wanted in the past.

Of course the GM wanted to sign Ullmark. Whose disputing that point? However, both points can be true that Ullmark preferred not to sign here and that the GM and organization weren't going to sign him beyond the contract boundaries they established for the player. There were reports that Ullmark would have signed back with the Sabres but only at a higher price than what he signed with Boston. The GM on WGR said that he wasn't willing to sign him at the unspecified price. Do I believe the GM? Yes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Speculation is a big reason for Message boards. We get it. 

I will let the draft and entire off-season play before setting a lineup. How Johnson fits into plans will be determined in camp, along with many others. I would think the Sabres would explore trades to bolster various spots in the lineup and that requires moving current players. Maybe Johnson figures into that...maybe not. None of us have seen him play a second in a Sabres uniform and know where he currently fits in their thinking. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Of course the GM wanted to sign Ullmark. Whose disputing that point? However, both points can be true that Ullmark preferred not to sign here and that the GM and organization weren't going to sign him beyond the contract boundaries they established for the player. There were reports that Ullmark would have signed back with the Sabres but only at a higher price than what he signed with Boston. The GM on WGR said that he wasn't willing to sign him at the unspecified price. Do I believe the GM? Yes. 

To the bolded, once again, Ullmark and Adams had a deal worked out that Ullmark said if nobody beat that after he tested FA, he would sign it with the Sabres.  The Bruins BEAT that offer.  It certainly seems that Ullmark then told the Bruins that he'd sign THAT deal provided nobody else beat it.  And he apparently went back to the Sabres and told them that if they'd beat the Bruins deal he would go back to the original plan of signing with the Sabres provided nobody topped THAT new deal.

It seems that Adams offered to match the Bruins deal.  He f'd up if he was really willing to go to that point with Ullmark, because then the Bruins would have had to beat that offer rather than the other way around.  And there was no word from any camp that Ullmark told the Sabres he'd let them match another deal that beat the one he'd worked out with the Sabres.

Don't see where in any of that Ullmark was saying he wanted out of Buffalo.  And honestly, that shows that Ullmark is honorable and takes his word seriously.  He negotiated in good faith with both teams and once he had a deal he could live with (but would like to do better than) he told the team that make that offer 1st that he'd sign the deal unless somebody beat it - matching it wouldn't be enough to get him to go against his word that he'd sign that deal.  He wanted what he was worth on the open market.  Which is what he'd earned the right to do per the CBA.  And, again, if Adams really was willing to match the Bruins offer he screwed the pooch by not making that offer initially.  The team had the cap space and no other goalie in the system that would be pushing for a bigger contract than the Sabres wanted to offer based on the more lucrative Ullmark deal.

And the Sabres offering to match the Bruins deal would explain why Ullmark was upset with the negotiations.  Adams presumably told him he'd made the best offer he could and Ullmark took that as truth but then when the offer was beat, Adams (again, apparently) made an offer to match it.  Which implies that the offer the Sabres originally made to Linus wasn't the best offer they could make and that Ullmark felt lied to.  (Whether he was lied to or if it was a misunderstanding is moot.  At that point they now needed to up the deal beyond what the Bruins had offered.) 

Maybe getting Ullmark signed would've cost the team Savoie as the Sabres almost definitely would've had more points the season before last, but they would've landed another guy in the Ostland level should that have happened.  They also likely would've been the 7 seed this year so the Eastern playoffs would've run completely differently than they did.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I also remember this:

Boston Bruins’ Ullmark Can’t Resist Taking Dig At Buffalo

The Boston Bruins just finished a five-game road trip last week that took them through Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, Minnesota and Buffalo, and Ullmark didn’t sound like he did any sightseeing tours at one of those wintry destinations after stopping 40 shots in a 2-1 win over the Ottawa Senators at TD Garden on Tuesday night.

“It’s the same thing. We had a long road trip and we didn’t go through the best places on Earth,” said a smirking Ullmark to NESN during some postgame comments. 

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/03/21/boston-bruins-ullmark-cant-help-taking-dig-at-buffalo/

He just might not have enjoyed his time in Buffalo and was looking to go to a somewhat larger/what-he-considered-nicer city to play/live in.

Whether you agree with him or not (some will say Chicago and certainly Minneapolis are nice cities), it doesn't matter our opinion, HIS opinion matters and it sure sounds like he likes the living conditions/lifestyle in Boston vs those other cities listed, of course including Buffalo where he spent a few years. 

Ullmark isn't a guy who only came to Buffalo with another team and saw the airport, the 33 and the Arena, he lived here, and if this area isn't his favorite, getting him back here and happy to be here is just not likely to happen.

After watching and listening to his interview I think the author embellished the article.  "We had a long road trip and we didn’t go through the best places on Earth,” said a smirking Ullmark to NESN during some postgame comments.  The only issue to me is who is he to judge other cities?  It sounds more like the Boston media embellishing and taking shots.  

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, once again, Ullmark and Adams had a deal worked out that Ullmark said if nobody beat that after he tested FA, he would sign it with the Sabres.  The Bruins BEAT that offer.  It certainly seems that Ullmark then told the Bruins that he'd sign THAT deal provided nobody else beat it.  And he apparently went back to the Sabres and told them that if they'd beat the Bruins deal he would go back to the original plan of signing with the Sabres provided nobody topped THAT new deal.

It seems that Adams offered to match the Bruins deal.  He f'd up if he was really willing to go to that point with Ullmark, because then the Bruins would have had to beat that offer rather than the other way around.  And there was no word from any camp that Ullmark told the Sabres he'd let them match another deal that beat the one he'd worked out with the Sabres.

Don't see where in any of that Ullmark was saying he wanted out of Buffalo.  And honestly, that shows that Ullmark is honorable and takes his word seriously.  He negotiated in good faith with both teams and once he had a deal he could live with (but would like to do better than) he told the team that make that offer 1st that he'd sign the deal unless somebody beat it - matching it wouldn't be enough to get him to go against his word that he'd sign that deal.  He wanted what he was worth on the open market.  Which is what he'd earned the right to do per the CBA.  And, again, if Adams really was willing to match the Bruins offer he screwed the pooch by not making that offer initially.  The team had the cap space and no other goalie in the system that would be pushing for a bigger contract than the Sabres wanted to offer based on the more lucrative Ullmark deal.

And the Sabres offering to match the Bruins deal would explain why Ullmark was upset with the negotiations.  Adams presumably told him he'd made the best offer he could and Ullmark took that as truth but then when the offer was beat, Adams (again, apparently) made an offer to match it.  Which implies that the offer the Sabres originally made to Linus wasn't the best offer they could make and that Ullmark felt lied to.  (Whether he was lied to or if it was a misunderstanding is moot.  At that point they now needed to up the deal beyond what the Bruins had offered.) 

Maybe getting Ullmark signed would've cost the team Savoie as the Sabres almost definitely would've had more points the season before last, but they would've landed another guy in the Ostland level should that have happened.  They also likely would've been the 7 seed this year so the Eastern playoffs would've run completely differently than they did.

In no way have I suggested that Ullmark acted dishonorably or inappropriately. He was a entering his UFA year and he was going to use that status in his best interest. As I stated on more than a few occasions, KA was specifically asked about the Ullmark contract saga on WGR on the Howard Simon Show. (I'm not conjecturing because I specifically remembered what he said.) He said that at the end of the process that what Ullmark wanted was beyond the contract boundaries he and the staff established for him. Is there more to the story? No doubt. Did KA miscalculate and mishandle the negotiations? Maybe so. At first, I thought he did and then I softened my position on how he handled this case. It's not unusual that negotiations go off script and take unexpected twists and turns. You can only control your side of the bargaining and not the other side of it. I also remember on that WGR segment that he stated that the organization was going to be more analytical in evaluating players and value/contracts. He pointed out that sometimes it's difficult to adhere to your boundaries $$$ but he was determined to do so. 

I agree with you that with Ullmark we would have likely been in the playoffs this season. The harsh reality is that in pro sports the "what ifs" become good bar talk but don't reflect the actual vicissitudes of running a franchise. 

23 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What you stated closely matches how I see this situation. The situation last offseason is different from this year's situation. My sense (guess) is that the GM is going to work with the trio he already has. I'm very aware that Levi had a short end of the season stint. However, while playing in a very pressurized environment, he acquitted himself very well. We'll have to see how this offseason unfolds to know for sure.