Sabres announce Ryan Johnson signs 2 year ELC (Finally)

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"Gotta be quicker, Ryan. Kinda like in the Frozen Four. HEY-OOOOO!" (Waves his ring in his face.) 👋💍

👹

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

My disappointment is that he simply could have said weeks ago, “It was a long season; I’m in need of some recharge and to heal up a bit. I’m going to have fun with my friends, graduate, and then sign with the Sabres. I wish the Amerks the best in their playoff run in the meantime.”

Why?  It's really none of our bidness.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Wasn't singling you out, or anyone. Just recall browsing the other Johnson thread and seeing a lot of hate/anger at him in general. 

I know but really I think most people were taking a measured approach.  Some people are quick to judge a situation and react to it, there are a few on this forum, but really I think most people were fairly even tempered in their posts about Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

giphy.gif

Exactly, He played four seasons for the Gophers, lost in heartbreaking fashion and probably needed to step back and recharge for a while. Now he gets a few practices in with the Amerks, gets to meet the coaching staff and it in on meetings for a week or longer. 

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

A defensive defenseman who can skate as well as he does is a good thing for this pipeline. 

A defensive defenseman?  Looks like the Sabres think they've brought in an offensive dynamo 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would like to get your thoughts or anyone else's on this two-option proposal: 1.) Adding two 4/5 defensemen to the unit this offseason for little cost or 2.) adding one 3/4 defenseman to the unit that would require a #1 round pick plus a high-end prospect such as Savoie, Kulich or Rosen. I lean toward first option although very open to option two. 

IMHO, it's a false dichotomy.  There will be 4/5's like Graves that on paper would fit great with the Sabres situation that are UFA's.  Can't see the Sabres adding 2 guys that truly fit into the top 4 (because 3 of the 4 spots are solid and they have kids that will be in the mix to fill that 4 role in the near future), but 1 and another 5/7 could be very possible. 

There also is the 800 # gorilla in the room which is Olofsson who is under contract for 1 more year but had lost his spot in the top 12 who should be quite valuable on the trade market.  This year's 1st or next year's 1st along with Olofsson should be able to bring in a guy that either can compete for top 4 duty or is a young guy with potential that can be top 7 this year and legit 4/5 next year (right when they have to decide whether to re-up Lyubushkin or let him walk).  Don't see where they need to give up on even Rosen to land a good RFA/younger D-man with the other assets they have.  And Olofsson and one of this year's 2nds might be enough to bring that package should they add say a Weissbach type prospect to the offer.

It'll be interesting to see if with getting Johnson signed (and still having Stillman, Clague, and Bryson) if they only bring in that 1 guy that fits into the top 4 and run with what they have to cover 3rd pairing and injury replacements.  Want that extra guy brought in as well, but am now kind of leaning towards that part not happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Wasn't he dead to the board less than a week ago? 

How the tide turns.... Group think is a dangerous game. 

I was the one that used “dead to me”.

He’s elevated to, show me.  

What a horrible turn around. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Rochester's blue line looks much more sound next season with he and Novikov as options.

We will watch his career with great interest.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

No, not really. Many of the people who are happy about this were not saying much about it a week ago.  Many that were complaining a week ago are just now saying much now.

Sure there is some overlap, but don't confuse individuals with their own agenda for 'group think' of the board.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, it's a false dichotomy.  There will be 4/5's like Graves that on paper would fit great with the Sabres situation that are UFA's.  Can't see the Sabres adding 2 guys that truly fit into the top 4 (because 3 of the 4 spots are solid and they have kids that will be in the mix to fill that 4 role in the near future), but 1 and another 5/7 could be very possible. 

There also is the 800 # gorilla in the room which is Olofsson who is under contract for 1 more year but had lost his spot in the top 12 who should be quite valuable on the trade market.  This year's 1st or next year's 1st along with Olofsson should be able to bring in a guy that either can compete for top 4 duty or is a young guy with potential that can be top 7 this year and legit 4/5 next year (right when they have to decide whether to re-up Lyubushkin or let him walk).  Don't see where they need to give up on even Rosen to land a good RFA/younger D-man with the other assets they have.  And Olofsson and one of this year's 2nds might be enough to bring that package should they add say a Weissbach type prospect to the offer.

It'll be interesting to see if with getting Johnson signed (and still having Stillman, Clague, and Bryson) if they only bring in that 1 guy that fits into the top 4 and run with what they have to cover 3rd pairing and injury replacements.  Want that extra guy brought in as well, but am now kind of leaning towards that part not happening.

As you are indicating, this is going to be an intriguing offseason. If the GM can fortify the blueline, and with internal improvement of players such as Quinn, JJ, Krebs, Power, and to a lesser degree Stillman and Greenway, this team should be ready to compete with even the upper tier teams. Where I differ from most of the crowd here is that I don't believe that our GM will be bringing in outside help for the goalie position. My sense (opinion) is that the trio he has on hand will be competing to establish their roles. I expect Levi to be our primary goalie when the season starts. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you are indicating, this is going to be an intriguing offseason. If the GM can fortify the blueline, and with internal improvement of players such as Quinn, JJ, Krebs, Power, and to a lesser degree Stillman and Greenway, this team should be ready to compete with even the upper tier teams. Where I differ from most of the crowd here is that I don't believe that our GM will be bringing in outside help for the goalie position. My sense (opinion) is that the trio he has on hand will be competing to establish their roles. I expect Levi to be our primary goalie when the season starts. 

Swayman played in 37 games last year while Ullmark put up a vezina caliber season, Ullmark played in 49. Levi at any level has never played more that 37 in a season, so there will be a transition period to the NHL purely revolving around usage, regardless of skill level adjustments. We saw for example how much Comrie’s numbers suffered when trying to expand his sample size. How many games do you predict/think KA expects Levi to start, next season? What’s a reasonable expectation? Are you comfortable with a combination of UPL and Comrie starting, probably at the very least, 37 games? I think you are correct in your analysis that KA probably is. Would you yourself be comfortable with a usage breakdown that is going to lean heavily on at least 2 of those goalies? 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

A defensive defenseman?  Looks like the Sabres think they've brought in an offensive dynamo 😉

You try making a video package of him using his skating to angle an attacker to the boards or using his stick to break up a cross zone pass.😛

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He signed just after he graduated.  That's the timeline that mattered to him.  There's no crazy conspiracy theory; stand down.

image.thumb.png.b3b84c8dd9470d99d745239b30867d2c.png

So, I say something you disagreed with and you think it has something to do with some conspiracy theory? Quite an odd response, don’t you think? Nothing I said was unreasonable. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Exactly, He played four seasons for the Gophers, lost in heartbreaking fashion and probably needed to step back and recharge for a while. Now he gets a few practices in with the Amerks, gets to meet the coaching staff and it in on meetings for a week or longer. 

I guess. Kinda like Levi and Tuch needing to step back and recharge after finishing their gut wrenching seasons. 

6 hours ago, kas23 said:

Here’s the thing. The Amerks have played a lot of hockey since the Sabres season ended on April 14th. Minnesota’s season ended on the 8th. He still could’ve used a couple weeks to recover. These games would’ve been a fantastic gauge on where Johnson is as a player, what he needs to work on over the summer, and importantly, a chance to gel with future teammates. Now none of this has happened. If he excelled, it would’ve raised some eyebrows that he could be on the Sabres roster next fall. Now, all he has is training camp to prove himself. My guess is he spends the whole next season in Rochester now. This is perfectly fine with me, but I wonder if this is perfectly fine with him

Does he have a choice now? 

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He was dead to the board because it appeared he wouldn't sign, after the Sabres invested so much in him and he had a great path to the NHL with the team.  He made the right decision ultimately so yes, all is forgiven.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's not. My view is that there is no need for secrecy, or coyness, or subterfuge. If he had said, "I'd like to thank Buffalo for drafting me and supporting me these last couple years, but my agent and I believe my best option is to test free agency." it would be the same thing. His only option (for the NHL) was to sign an ELC in a very narrow band of salaries, whichever path or team he had chosen.

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

I guess. Kinda like Levi and Tuch needing to step back and recharge after finishing their gut wrenching seasons. 

Yes because not qualifying for the NCAA tournament in the first place and missing the playoffs by a single win is the same as losing the National Championship in OT.

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I had written him off as walking to UFA. But I am glad he signed. A defensive defenseman who can skate as well as he does is a good thing for this pipeline. 

My disappointment is that he simply could have said weeks ago, “It was a long season; I’m in need of some recharge and to heal up a bit. I’m going to have fun with my friends, graduate, and then sign with the Sabres. I wish the Amerks the best in their playoff run in the meantime.”

Maybe he did say that……..to Kevyn Adams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

So, I say something you disagreed with and you think it has something to do with some conspiracy theory? Quite an odd response, don’t you think? Nothing I said was unreasonable. 

I was just saying your take seemed overly complicated.

And I like posting conspiracy guy.

image.thumb.png.b3b84c8dd9470d99d745239b30867d2c.png

I think he's funny.

14 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Im shocked 

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess I'll have to stop disliking him, but I still suspect he has a Little Lord Fauntleroy attitude.

14 hours ago, Cage said:

Who is he again???

13 hours ago, kas23 said:

Well, there’s goes that dumb theory that the Sabres would’ve preferred a late 2nd rounder in 2024. 

That said, I have real concerns on why he didn’t sign earlier. In the least, he could’ve  played in every Amerks playoff game. He doesn’t seem like a competitor. 

No one knows the real reason he held off signing once the ncaa season ended.  
He starts with a clean slate to me.  

We need defensive prospects in Rochester, we just got another one with Johnson.  

• Like (+1) 2