Seat Belt Habits…

LabattBlue

Seat belt when driving?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Seat belt when driving?

2. 2. Seat belt as front seat passenger?

3. 3. Seat belt as rear seat passenger?

41 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think if anyone makes it to 79, they should be allowed to kill anyone one they want.😂

We had to take my granmother's car away from her when she was 90.  We took my mom's car away from her at 86.  For precisely that reason.

I see no good reason not to wear one.  Add to the list of things already mentioned that it can let you maintain some level of control over your vehicle in an accident.  It doesn't matter how good of a driver the driver of your vehicle is, there are plenty of terrible drivers out there to hit your vehicle.  I can tell you that when hit, being held in the driver seat can be the difference between just missing a third vehicle or slamming into it.

I'd love to start a similar thread about headlights.  Mine are on, not just DTRLs, all of the time.  And it's not just so I can see, but also because it can help others see me, especially when it's gray and rainy.  This is why most DTRLs are silly, since they have nothing on in the back.  I digress ...

I wear it. Been in too many car accidents not to. Head on'd a tree(wasn't driving.) Double rollover + a cartwheel (was driving, max performance summer tires unsuitable for freak road conditions.) And deer x2 (wasn't driving.)

The rollover had me nose of the car down, back wheels in the air, leaning up against a tree. I was still snug in my seat without a scratch. My Oakley's did fly off and were destroyed, however. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 5/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's a similar argument to the seat belt, in PA "I belive" you don't need a helmet but must wear Eyewear. That makes complete sense. A helmet protects me, but again, if over 18, it should be my call. 

IIRC, in PA you can ride without a helmet as long as you have had your motorcycle endorsement for two years. Interestingly, it also applies to passengers but I find it unlikely that all those back seats riding around without a helmet went through the test process to get one.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:59 PM, SwampD said:

I think if anyone makes it to 79, they should be allowed to kill anyone one they want.😂

That would line up with my preconceptions of Texas. 🙂

43 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Don't get me started about people who use high beams for no good reason.

angry-gif-4.gif

Even more stabby for me is the people who fit high performance bulbs on vehicles that aren’t designed for it.  Engineers painstakingly design the bulbs and housings as a system to light the night efficiently AND so they don’t blind oncoming traffic, and some dude thinks he’s improving things by installing the brightest bulbs he can find and proceeds to shine extra bright light at all kinds of angles that disrupt everyone around him because the reflectors in the headlight assembly weren’t designed for that light source.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yup, they would get impaled on steering wheel. 

IIRC, at some point that stopped making the steering wheel shaft a solid piece, and made it telescope. Because when the front of the car is compressed, the solid shaft would push back into the passenger compartment like a javelin.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

IIRC, at some point that stopped making the steering wheel shaft a solid piece, and made it telescope. Because when the front of the car is compressed, the solid shaft would push back into the passenger compartment like a javelin.

Can just imagine the cop walking up to the car after the accident, “Are you o...oh, “ 

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

I believe that happened around 1980.

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

They also altered the way the turn signal lever and windshield wiper levels are positioned too.  A car crash was the reason Sammy Davis Jr. had a glass eye.

Amazing how much safer cars are today for their driver and passengers.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

They also altered the way the turn signal lever and windshield wiper levels are positioned too.  A car crash was the reason Sammy Davis Jr. had a glass eye.

Amazing how much safer cars are today for their driver and passengers.

I think we both know that's not true. Stop spreading this lie about a dead man.

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.