Seat Belt Habits…

LabattBlue

Seat belt when driving?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Seat belt when driving?

2. 2. Seat belt as front seat passenger?

3. 3. Seat belt as rear seat passenger?

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Seat belts are not required in NH for drivers 18 and over. Go nuts.

I lived in NH about 15 years ago, although only for 6 months. I never knew that.

If that is the case, then that might be the best example of their motto "Live free or Die".

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I lived in NH about 15 years ago, although only for 6 months. I never knew that.

If that is the case, then that might be the best example of their motto "Live free or Die".

That's a cute little motto applied selectively here. Motorcycle helmets? No way! Don't let the Man tell you what to do. Legal weed? <Clutching pearls>

494b3bd6e9bf4711f69d75e192942c8c.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

In my youth I bought a motorcycle from my brother in Indiana, no helmet law in any state but NY. I didn't wear a helmet from South Bend all the way up the 90 until I got to NY state line. Got to NY and pulled off and had to put it on. 

I still ride, I'm not sure if I'd ride without one now, but if legal, I would probably make quick little trips without a lid. 

It's a similar argument to the seat belt, in PA "I belive" you don't need a helmet but must wear Eyewear. That makes complete sense. A helmet protects me, but again, if over 18, it should be my call. 

Seat belt in rear seat depends on circumstances for me.  I'm not in a rear seat that often.  If I'm not in NYS and I know the driver is a good driver, chances are I won't wear one.  If I'm in NYS or don't know the driver or know that the driver isn't great, I'll wear it.

Front seats, always.

I wear it 100% of the time.  Driving, passenger seat, back seat, doesn’t matter.  Only exception is if I end up in the middle back seat or something and there literally isn’t one.

And if I’m driving, everyone puts it on or we aren’t going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

When we would go to our cabin out in the hills of Buffalo, as soon as we hit the dirt road into the association, my dad would I un-click his seatbelt. It seems I have picked up this habit. As soon as I hit my neighborhood, I un-click my seatbelt. Luckily my car is old enough to not have the annoying constant dinging. I usually make it home before even the first warning ding.

Other than that, I always wear it and feel weird when it’s not on.

And I’m pretty sure the laws aren’t meant to protect us (and therefore a personal choice issue), they are to protect the insurance companies. 

14 hours ago, inkman said:

I find it absolutely unreal that people drive without seatbelts is 2023.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care about their lives, it’s the ***** seat belt dinging.  I will drive into oncoming traffic if my passenger unbuckles their seatbelt. Make that awful sound stop.   

I would buy a bathroom reader compilation of classic @inkman posts. A wee volume. Marketed as an impulse buy near the registers at Barnes and Noble.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, SwampD said:

When we would go to our cabin out in the hills of Buffalo, as soon as we hit the dirt road into the association, my dad would I un-click his seatbelt. It seems I have picked up this habit. As soon as I hit my neighborhood, I un-click my seatbelt. Luckily my car is old enough to not have the annoying constant dinging. I usually make it home before even the first warning ding.

Other than that, I always wear it and feel weird when it’s not on.

And I’m pretty sure the laws aren’t meant to protect us (and therefore a personal choice issue), they are to protect the insurance companies. 

I think that's my issue, it's politics protecting big insurance, with the illusion of personal safety.

If they cared about safety, the driving test process would be actually useful 😂😂

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think that's my issue, it's politics protecting big insurance, with the illusion of personal safety.

If they cared about safety, the driving test process would be actually useful 😂😂

Here’s an unpopular take … I think starting at the age of 70, everyone who drives should take a driving test every 2 or 3 years to make sure they are still competent. Free of charge to the seniors of course. I could flesh out more details but that’s the general take. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Here’s an unpopular take … I think starting at the age of 70, everyone who drives should take a driving test every 2 or 3 years to make sure they are still competent. Free of charge to the seniors of course. I could flesh out more details but that’s the general take. 

I have no problem with this, but I would bump it up to 75.  Of course when I hit 75, I will then vehemently oppose it. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think that take is more popular than you realize…….. for folks under 70.

12 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

In my youth I bought a motorcycle from my brother in Indiana, no helmet law in any state but NY. I didn't wear a helmet from South Bend all the way up the 90 until I got to NY state line. Got to NY and pulled off and had to put it on. 

I still ride, I'm not sure if I'd ride without one now, but if legal, I would probably make quick little trips without a lid. 

It's a similar argument to the seat belt, in PA "I belive" you don't need a helmet but must wear Eyewear. That makes complete sense. A helmet protects me, but again, if over 18, it should be my call. 

Donor?

22 hours ago, inkman said:

I find it absolutely unreal that people drive without seatbelts is 2023.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care about their lives, it’s the ***** seat belt dinging.  I will drive into oncoming traffic if my passenger unbuckles their seatbelt. Make that awful sound stop.   

True story:  My 2005 model Hyundai had a physical chime for the seatbelt.  I found it and unplugged it.  When I gave the car to my son to drive I plugged it back in  😄

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

No no no.... that would be "Live Free AND Die"

4 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I crashed my car in college. The air bag going off felt like being punched in the face. I think if I wasn't wearing my belt, it'd have really messed me up. I always buckle up.

That's actually a good point.  Air bags are designed to be used in conjunction with seatbelts, not instead of.  You're likely to fare much worse with airbags alone.

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

In Texas that starts at age 79.

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I think that take is more popular than you realize…….. for folks under 70.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's actually a good point.  Air bags are designed to be used in conjunction with seatbelts, not instead of.  You're likely to fare much worse with airbags alone.

In Texas that starts at age 79.

I think if anyone makes it to 79, they should be allowed to kill anyone one they want.😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.