Aleksandr Kisakov - drafted 2021 - Rd 2

Signed ELC with Sabres

Stiven Sardarian - drafted 2021 - Rd 3

Playing at UNH (NCAA)

Nikita Novikov - drafted 2021 - Rd 6

Signed ELC with Sabres

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Thanks (+1) 2

He's a RHD, 6'2, 183 lbs, age 19 (turns 20 in January), and drafted in the 5th round in 2022.  Born in Russia, he just finished his 2nd year in the QMJHL, putting up 39 pts and 60 PM in 62 games.  As I said when the Sabres drafted him, he's to my knowledge their first ever guy named Vsevolod.

FC Hockey, a publication I know nothing about, describes him thusly:

Vsevolod Komarov is a smart defenseman that can play physical and excel on zone exits with an effective first pass. He’s poised with the puck, keeps it simple and isn’t afraid to crush his opponents along the boards. Against the forecheck there’s no panic in his game as he uses his body well to protect the puck. He can find pass options with opponents draped over him and he can battle his way out of the corner and up ice.

He is generally well positioned in the defensive zone and doesn’t give up much space around the net. Against the rush, he can get into the attacker’s space and neutralize plays with ease thanks to his long reach. He’s not an offensive defenseman, but can join the rush and chip in. He patrols the offensive blue line well and can get off a sneaky little wrist shot or make passes off fakes.

He isn’t the fastest guy and he lacks quickness in his first two steps, but he can pick up the pace in transition through a series of linear crossovers and has decent speed once he gets up to top gear. His backwards skating is fluid, but again, the lack of explosiveness makes gap control a chore.

Even though he doesn’t possesses the best skating ability, his hockey IQ and decision-making certainly makes up for it. There’s not much of an offensive game to speak of, though. He can get pucks through traffic and on net, but that’s about the extent of his contributions at the far end of the ice. He can flash the odd fake, but that’s more to open up a lane than to dangle an opposing checker.

Without that offensive upside he will hit a ceiling at the next level, but there is enough there to go with some really strong defending that ultimately, he has the potential to become a third-pairing defenseman in the NHL.

I assume he'll be in Rochester next season.

If anyone has seen him play -- let's hear your thoughts!

• Like (+1) 1

It's great to see a young defenseman signing, as the team definitely needs more of them in the pipeline.  It's also great to see yet another draft pick signing and getting into the organization fairly quickly.  Perhaps it's just my perception, but I feel like up until the last couple of years, we'd draft a bunch of guys and never hear from them again, or if they did surface and sign, it was a number of years after they were drafted.  Not only did very few of them make it to Buffalo, but they weren't showing up in Rochester either.  I'm sure there were a variety of reasons - the Sabres decided to pass on some of them, some didn't want to sign with the Sabres, or some were more interested in playing in the NCAA or overseas than in the AHL - but, whatever the case, I like the way things are trending now.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I assume he'll be in Rochester next season.

He's in the same boat as Savoie. Too young! To young to begin the training play in the AHL this season.
Maybe (extremely doubtful) some games as the #8 in Buffalo and rotating in and then back to the Q.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve only seen him play one game. He looked slow but played a simple game. Big kid that could add 15 pounds of muscle.

Another year of junior to get faster and stronger will help him.

Ill try and watch him in the Memorial Cup for a better read on his game.

Edited by French Collection

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Here's our Russian pipeline:

Viktor Neuchev - drafted 2022 - Rd 3

Signed ELC with Sabres

Vsevelod Komarov - drafted 2022 - Rd 5

Signed ELC with Sabres

Prokhor Poltapov - drafted 2021 - Rd 2

KHL contract through 2023-24

Aleksandr Kisakov - drafted 2021 - Rd 2

Signed ELC with Sabres

Stiven Sardarian - drafted 2021 - Rd 3

Playing at UNH (NCAA)

Nikita Novikov - drafted 2021 - Rd 6

Signed ELC with Sabres

Saw Sardarian play against Umass last winter, good skater fast, very nice hands but kid is a stick and needs to put on 30-40 lbs.. he is tough and over 6 feet

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Komarov has 1 if not 2 more years in the QMJHL before he goes to Rochester for probably 1 or 2 years. 

One more year for sure, I don’t know of many imports that play as 20 year olds.

Next year may not be as much fun, Quebec is obviously going for it and had 13 guys 19 years old or more. They will be rebuilding. There is a chance he gets traded like Nadeau was.

Patrick Roy is done as Remparts coach as well.

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Is this speculation? I haven’t heard anything official.  

I can’t remember the source but he brought in Simon Gagne to help and to take over for 23/24.

Here is one source:

https://coloradohockeynow.com/2023/05/21/in-final-season-patrick-roy-leads-remparts-to-qmjhl-championship-nhl-next/#

• Thanks (+1) 1

Komarov and Lindgren made a great pair at development camp and the prospects tournament. A lot to like about his game. His feet are a little heavy but he has improved his skating this year.

Reminds me a lot of Boosh and that’s a good thing. 

The Sabres past couple drafts are looking Ike a big step up in finding quality depth in later rounds. I think it is a combination of analytics and Adams letting all the scouts being heard.

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Komarov and Lindgren made a great pair at development camp and the prospects tournament. A lot to like about his game. His feet are a little heavy but he has improved his skating this year.

Reminds me a lot of Boosh and that’s a good thing. 

The Sabres past couple drafts are looking Ike a big step up in finding quality depth in later rounds. I think it is a combination of analytics and Adams letting all the scouts being heard.

The willingness to draft a CHL or Russian league player across all rounds is a significant advantage compared to the previous GMs' approaches of only taking players committed to the NCAA or in Sweden/Finland for additional years of team control once past round 3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.