Kyle Okposo is back

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe he will. But I don't agree with you. 

It floors me that you and several others have been on this stupid bus for the past 2 years now. In 2021 it was obvious that the leader of the team, their heart, their identity, was Kyle Okposo. Yet here we are two years later with you and many others continually shitting on the guy and acting as though your opinion of how that locker room functions is reality. Kyle is the captain and is so respected in that room he could be sitting on the toilet and they would still trust and respect him. Kyle in the press box, on the 4th line, whatever, is the leader of the Sabres. You not liking it won't change that. 

Just stop the guy was barely noticeable last season. 

• dislike 1

32 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t think anyone is disputing his leadership. The amount of leadership he supplies probably rivals that of Donnie. No one disagrees. The issue comes down to whether he still has gas left in the tank to make a meaningful contribution on the ice. That’s the debate. I agree the best player on the ice doesn’t necessarily deserve the C. But, if a player isn’t cutting it on the ice, or getting restricted ice time in anyway, do they still deserve to wear the C? Or, said another way, do you cut a better player’s ice time in favor of a player wearing the C?

Whoever is deserving of wearing the C is entirely up to the players in the room. What anyone around here projects onto that process is meaningless. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Okposo's full interview

It’s interesting that he again reiterates the idea that making the playoffs next year isn’t the goal. It’s about getting better every day working your way to a Stanley cup 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s interesting that he again reiterates the idea that making the playoffs next year isn’t the goal. It’s about getting better every day working your way to a Stanley cup 

Kyle's tone is "we aren't setting playoffs as our goal next year because we are better for that and should prepare for expectations as such by setting our goal as winning the cup"

Different from Adams whose tone can read as "we aren't setting playoffs as the goal because what if injuries or blah blah"

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Kyle's tone is "we aren't setting playoffs as our goal next year because we are better for that and should prepare for expectations as such by setting our goal as winning the cup"

Different from Adams whose tone can read as "we aren't setting playoffs as the goal because what if injuries or blah blah"

The tone from both, to me, suggests the idea that as long as there is continual improvement the concrete results aren’t of primary importance. “Set the cup as goal, take it day at a time, get better every day”.

Results will be the unavoidable, but possibly eventual, result of their growth: not the focus of the game plan. Not “finding a way to win”, but rather, “winning will result naturally from the process.”

basically a higher level version of “we just gotta play our game” rather than a tactical breakdown of the field and your opponent, and seeking ways to manipulate it in the shorter term 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I don’t think anyone is disputing his leadership. The amount of leadership he supplies probably rivals that of Donnie. No one disagrees. The issue comes down to whether he still has gas left in the tank to make a meaningful contribution on the ice. That’s the debate. I agree the best player on the ice doesn’t necessarily deserve the C. But, if a player isn’t cutting it on the ice, or getting restricted ice time in anyway, do they still deserve to wear the C? Or, said another way, do you cut a better player’s ice time in favor of a player wearing the C?

To your ultimate question, I hope not!

I think they should work with Okposo to give him more games off.  Plan on him playing ~60 games, no more than 3 games per week and no back to backs.  I think it would go a long way towards keeping him fresh through the season and hopefully into the playoffs.

I think that the GM/Coaches are wise enough to do what is best for the team, and I think Okposo is humble enough to accept whatever decisions they need to make without it becoming any type of an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

There is no use talking to that 1, if you don't agree with him you're a clown or mentally ill apparently.

Using mental illness like this makes you a clown. You disgust me. 

Ftr, I do not equate mental illness with having garbage opinions. 

Edited by LGR4GM

You know, the best decision I made was taking a break from here. There's a loud minority of hateful, angry, turds, who throw feces at every decision the Sabres make. You're just a bunch of miserable f####. 

Kevyn Adams could trade an empty beer can found in the 300s for McKenzie Weeger and you'd bitch about it. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know, the best decision I made was taking a break from here. There's a loud minority of hateful, angry, turds, who throw feces at every decision the Sabres make. You're just a bunch of miserable f####. 

Kevyn Adams could trade an empty beer can found in the 300s for McKenzie Weeger and you'd bitch about it. 

Depends.  What kind of beer?

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

To your ultimate question, I hope not!

I think they should work with Okposo to give him more games off.  Plan on him playing ~60 games, no more than 3 games per week and no back to backs.  I think it would go a long way towards keeping him fresh through the season and hopefully into the playoffs.

I think that the GM/Coaches are wise enough to do what is best for the team, and I think Okposo is humble enough to accept whatever decisions they need to make without it becoming any type of an issue.

Not for nothing there’s been plenty of portents foretelling load management making its way to the nhl 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The tone from both, to me, suggests the idea that as long as there is continual improvement the concrete results aren’t of primary importance. “Set the cup as goal, take it day at a time, get better every day”.

Results will be the unavoidable, but possibly eventual, result of their growth: not the focus of the game plan. Not “finding a way to win”, but rather, “winning will result naturally from the process.”

basically a higher level version of “we just gotta play our game” rather than a tactical breakdown of the field and your opponent, and seeking ways to manipulate it in the shorter term 

I still sense a fairly strong difference from the two of them, to me it's clear Kyle is literally setting the bar above playoffs. Kevyn wants the ability to not call the season a failure if they miss 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is pathetic, the board is fine and is reading fine like any other day, the only difference is you coming in and swearing at everyone 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I still sense a fairly strong difference from the two of them, to me it's clear Kyle is literally setting the bar above playoffs. Kevyn wants the ability to not call the season a failure if they miss 

This is pathetic, the board is fine and is reading fine like any other day, the only difference is you coming in and swearing at everyone 

Goodbye

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I need to get around to watching the KA presser. He’s a great (I think? Really good?) GM who I absolutely can’t stand to listen to when he talks 

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not for nothing there’s been plenty of portents foretelling load management making its way to the nhl 

I think it could really help a team if they put this into action.  Even if it’s just the bottom half of the lineup.

The NHL mindset generally seems to be to “go till you break”. I think a little more “rest up so you don’t break” could help.

Especially for older guys and guys who like to play a more physical, checking game.  Heck, it might even allow some guys to play a heavier game who feel like they can’t hold up playing that way for 80+ games, but maybe for 50 games they could.

Only thing is that it’s kind of hard to do too much roster rotation with size of active rosters and the waiver rules.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think it could really help a team if they put this into action.  Even if it’s just the bottom half of the lineup.

The NHL mindset generally seems to be to “go till you break”. I think a little more “rest up so you don’t break” could help.

Especially for older guys and guys who like to play a more physical, checking game.  Heck, it might even allow some guys to play a heavier game who feel like they can’t hold up playing that way for 80+ games, but maybe for 50 games they could.

Only thing is that it’s kind of hard to do too much roster rotation with size of active rosters and the waiver rules.

Injury luck will play a big part, to your point. 

but load management is definitely on the way. No to the extent of the nba I’d say but on the way nonetheless 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Does this mean you are taking another break now that you have come down from the mountain and did your judging?

😂

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So where does Jost fit then ? If buffalo just wanted kyle for the "voice " they should have just brought him as a coach. 

And the fact they even signed him knowing one more concussion and his life could be ruined is concerning 

I mention Kyle being platooned.  Keeps him fresher, gives ice to someone like Rousek or Jost.  

As for the concussion comment, Kyle knows the risks his is taking.  

I trust that Adams and DG understand if this group still needs him.  Let’s hope Kyle stays healthy and productive, and the team makes the playoffs.   That will be another positive step for the organization in culture setting. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.