Kyle Okposo is back

39 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This organization will never wave kyle or put him in the press box even if the rookies beat him out .

Hes already   Guaranteed the roster spot

Yep. That leaves 22 other spots open for competition and may the best men win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. That leaves 22 other spots open for competition and may the best men win.

Not directed specifically at you but come on now everyone. There is not open competition on NHL rosters. Tage Thompson isn't going to get waived even if Kulich looks better in camp for example. Camp isn't the NHL season and I would bet there will be nights where Okposo gets healthy scratched but not often because his defensive game is solid. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not directed specifically at you but come on now everyone. There is not open competition on NHL rosters. Tage Thompson isn't going to get waived even if Kulich looks better in camp for example. Camp isn't the NHL season and I would bet there will be nights where Okposo gets healthy scratched but not often because his defensive game is solid. 

It was a tongue in cheek comment meant to emphasize the very point you’re making. Certain players have already punched their ticket no matter what. KO is one of them. I agree his time may be managed this year, but he’s solid contributor in so many ways. 

And for what it’s worth to those having a fit about him, he isn’t blocking the likes of Savoie or Kulich as they aren’t slotted for 4th line slots, anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I understand what you mean, but I disagree with cause and effect. There isn't an open competition because there's not a chance 12 players are going to outplay Tage for a roster spot. The top 6 players are generally safe because they're talented enough to be in the top 6 to begin with and, in the event they are replaced, they move down the lineup. They don't get waived. 

When I am talking about competition for roster spots, I'm talking about the bottom 6.. Those spots aren't guaranteed.  KO isn't getting signed to play a top 6 role. The forwards who are not guaranteed roster spots in 23-24 are Greenway, VO, and Jost (if he comes back). Not to mention anyone currently on the Amerks. The next group of "vulnerable" players is going to be KO, Krebs and JJP. That group will be given the benefit of the doubt though over unproven players like Rousek, but they'll still need to prove they deserve ice time.

8 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I understand what you mean, but I disagree with cause and effect. There isn't an open competition because there's not a chance 12 players are going to outplay Tage for a roster spot. The top 6 players are generally safe because they're talented enough to be in the top 6 to begin with and, in the event they are replaced, they move down the lineup. They don't get waived. 

When I am talking about competition for roster spots, I'm talking about the bottom 6.. Those spots aren't guaranteed.  KO isn't getting signed to play a top 6 role. The forwards who are not guaranteed roster spots in 23-24 are Greenway, VO, and Jost (if he comes back). Not to mention anyone currently on the Amerks. The next group of "vulnerable" players is going to be KO, Krebs and JJP. That group will be given the benefit of the doubt though over unproven players like Rousek, but they'll still need to prove they deserve ice time.

I will vehemently disagree with any notion that JJP and Krebs are "vulnerable" in the way Okposo is. Okposo knows that he might get some healthy scratches, highly unlikely and basically impossible we see that for JJP or Krebs. Greenway is definitely guaranteed a roster spot. Jost isn't signed so I would agree there and Olofsson already lost his spot at times last year so I would agree there. But again... the Sabres will have 13 or 14 forwards on the roster. Rousek is probably the next one up but Kulich and Rosen and maybe Savoie will not make the team. Kulich has a good shot and is progressing but I actually agree with ppl who see Rosen's game as more well rounded. Rosen needs the weight room more though and Kulich needs to round out his game, otherwise he is just VO and we need better than VO. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

If " Okposo knows that he might get some healthy scratches " 

He should give up the C then 

Maybe he will. But I don't agree with you. 

It floors me that you and several others have been on this stupid bus for the past 2 years now. In 2021 it was obvious that the leader of the team, their heart, their identity, was Kyle Okposo. Yet here we are two years later with you and many others continually shitting on the guy and acting as though your opinion of how that locker room functions is reality. Kyle is the captain and is so respected in that room he could be sitting on the toilet and they would still trust and respect him. Kyle in the press box, on the 4th line, whatever, is the leader of the Sabres. You not liking it won't change that. 

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It floors me that you and several others have been on this stupid bus for the past 2 years now. In 2021 it was obvious that the leader of the team, their heart, their identity, was Kyle Okposo. Yet here we are two years later with you and many others continually shitting on the guy and acting as though your opinion of how that locker room functions is reality. Kyle is the captain and is so respected in that room he could be sitting on the toilet and they would still trust and respect him. Kyle in the press box, on the 4th line, whatever, is the leader of the Sabres. You not liking it won't change that. 

Sitting on the toilet? And dispensing wisdom Like Shoresy? I like it!

2xcutvrmn9991.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The FO and coach feel like his leadership is necessary in the locker room. You can disagree with that, but after the 2nd or 3rd post from the same posters complaining about the same thing it's just ridiculous. The team will only get younger and leadership is a needed component. I'm willing to bet these same people who don't understand team chemistry have never been a part of a  successful team and as such will always undervalue it. This isn't a video game where you put in the 22 yr old 78 ovr to replace the 70 ovr and everything works out better for you. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Thanks for taking a deeper dive into Z’s offensive numbers. I didn’t realize how UNterrible they truly are. Perhaps he should shoot more.

He would, but he has hands of stone.  He misses 100% of shots he doesn't get on net.  😛

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

Sorry, Okposo seems exactly like a player that one would expect to produce in the playoffs if you believe in that sort of thing.

I can't wait to see Mitts in the playoffs.  I think he will thrive in those conditions.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You dont think the captain is Guaranteed a roster spot ?

steve-carell-yeah-ok-smile-0d9f20sta6uq4

He didn't say that.  He said you have trouble composing a post and I don't see the lie. 

But then again this is a message forum, not the New York Times.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

If " Okposo knows that he might get some healthy scratches " 

He should give up the C then 

The C really doesn't drive winning or losing.

Personally I wouldn't mind Okposo "presenting" the C to another player at the end of training camp.  I think he'd still be a leader on the team whether he has an A or a C or no letter at all.  But once the season starts, barring a season-ending injury, he should keep the C.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

And we know this because....?

At this point in the exchange you're asking me how I "know" something when it's pretty clear I don't know anything. Like you don't know anything. We are making assumptions based on our observations and individual abilities to string together a narrative from available data and experience.

In fact, you allowed yourself an out in every statement you've made in this exchange:

"I'd[sic] he's such a strong leader, why the alleged problems in the locker room before? He's getting credit for a good locker room when it's good,  but no blame when it's bad."

Alleged. And, by the the by, it reads to me, here, like he is getting blamed for the locker room being bad - by you.

"...why didn't he do anything about the alleged cancers in the room?"

Alleged.

"I personally think the cancer claim in[sic] BS, the whole organization was a large tumor."

I personally think.

Note that I posited my thoughts as questions since I am aware that, in the end, I really don't know for certain what was going on inside or outside of the group.

If the entire organization was cancerous at the time isn't it pretty easy to presume that the GMs and coaches weren't supporting Okposo - or anyone in particular - in an effort to fix the locker room? Or, if they were supporting a particular person, that person wasn't Okposo since we know that what Okposo has done for this group has worked?

Edited by ...
forgot a [sic]

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The C really doesn't drive winning or losing.

Personally I wouldn't mind Okposo "presenting" the C to another player at the end of training camp.  I think he'd still be a leader on the team whether he has an A or a C or no letter at all.  But once the season starts, barring a season-ending injury, he should keep the C.

7n4s04.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ... said:

At this point in the exchange you're asking me how I "know" something when it's pretty clear I don't know anything. Like you don't know anything. We are making assumptions based on our observations and individual abilities to string together a narrative from available data and experience.

In fact, you allowed yourself an out in every statement you've made in this exchange:

"I'd[sic] he's such a strong leader, why the alleged problems in the locker room before? He's getting credit for a good locker room when it's good,  but no blame when it's bad."

Alleged. And, by the the by, it reads to me, here, like he is getting blamed for the locker room being bad - by you.

"...why didn't he do anything about the alleged cancers in the room?"

Alleged.

"I personally think the cancer claim in[sic] BS, the whole organization was a large tumor."

I personally think.

Note that I posited my thoughts as questions since I am aware that, in the end, I really don't know for certain what was going on inside or outside of the group.

If the entire organization was cancerous at the time isn't it pretty easy to presume that the GMs and coaches weren't supporting Okposo - or anyone in particular - in an effort to fix the locker room? Or, if they were supporting a particular person, that person wasn't Okposo since we know that what Okposo has done for this group has worked?

You got a lot of time on your hands, don't you?

3 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

You can count on Greenway earning a roster spot. I'm not going to argue with you that VO and Jost positions on this team are solidified. If Greenway is not on the third line with Mitts, he will be on another line. The coach who advocated for his acquisition the most was the HC. The Sabres gave up a second-round pick for him. You can count on him being introduced to the crowd on opening night at home. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don’t think anyone is disputing his leadership. The amount of leadership he supplies probably rivals that of Donnie. No one disagrees. The issue comes down to whether he still has gas left in the tank to make a meaningful contribution on the ice. That’s the debate. I agree the best player on the ice doesn’t necessarily deserve the C. But, if a player isn’t cutting it on the ice, or getting restricted ice time in anyway, do they still deserve to wear the C? Or, said another way, do you cut a better player’s ice time in favor of a player wearing the C?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.