Kyle Okposo is back

24 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I like KO, but if he was so good in the locker oom, why didn't he do anything about the alleged cancers in the room?  I personally think the cancer claim in BS, the whole organization was a large tumor.  This is probably an ok signing. Adding too many rookies next season doesn't seem like a good idea. Too much inconsistency.

We still need goaltending, that's all I'm concerned with right now.

Okposo was Eichel's friend, should have been able to guide him better.

Cancer is selecting the wrong Captain, Eichel was NOT a Captain, Sorry but Okposo is a great guy but his Stats and last 7 years are NOT inspiring

Time to pick Dahlin, Tage or Tuch as Captain. Tuch seems to have it all, Local, good two way guy, only 26 (in League since 19 so very experienced, one of the few with Playoff Experiences in Pros and well liked.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

I like KO, but if he was so good in the locker oom, why didn't he do anything about the alleged cancers in the room?  I personally think the cancer claim in BS, the whole organization was a large tumor.  This is probably an ok signing. Adding too many rookies next season doesn't seem like a good idea. Too much inconsistency.

We still need goaltending, that's all I'm concerned with right now.

Not sure what you're asking. Are you suggesting Okposo take the players with the bad attitude and cliquey mindset out behind the arena and learn them a good one?

IQ23E9.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm definitely not a fan of this, I'm not sure what he really brings to the Sabres now other than leadership. He looked very old and slow this season, I think the kids would have been just fine with Tuch or Dahlin as captain, this seems forced to me. This should be the year we are going for it, we need better overall players than Kyle Okposo imo.

• Like (+1) 3

This thread has a real loudmouth at the end of the bar vibe.

Kyle is still a decent hockey player who supplies a physical strength,  cycle game and savvy the team could use more of. His defence was good, his  offence can only come  in spurts, but those spurts seemed to come at times they were needed. He can help on special teams or move up the lineup in a pinch.

Best, most-respected human being on the hockey team. Multiple players called him the best captain they’ve ever played with.  The improvement we’ve seen in guys like Krebs and Mitts has his stamp on it. Probably a year where the torch passes and the contract reflects that, but he sets  a bar that the kids will have to meet and is the type of player good teams have in their bottom 6. He makes them better.

Most people besides Tim Murray understand that matters.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The logic being used for Okposo not being brought back or why he shouldn't be captain is breathtaking in its shortsighted, detached from facts, and overall grasping at straws mentality. 

The outhouse level negativity this board feels the need to crap out doesn't surprise me. If Adams traded a week old slice of arena pizza for McDavid with 50% retained, ppl here would find some reason to bitch about it.  "That pizza could have fed my pet gerbil! Why is Adams so dumb! McDavid never wins in the playoffs what an awful move." 

This thread isn't trash because a large group of you disagree with the signing, it's trash because of your reasons why. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

There is absolutely no reason Savoie can’t be in the WHL next season. Let’s stop pretending he torched the league for 165 points this year. 

He doesn’t need to be gifted a spot.

Kulich and Rosen can both use more time in Rochester next season. Kulich needs to round out his game, Rosen needs to continue adding weight.

The team needs more vet leadership not less.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think Girgs will be back, I think Brett Murray is going to get his chance as the LW'er on line 4 opposite Okposo this coming season. I remember Murray stepping up in that NJ game for Kyle a couple years ago. He's big, his game has come along some from back then.

I don't know, maybe the guys that follow the Amerks close can chime in on this, but watching that 1st Hershey / Rochester game he was very noticeable. 

Edited by Scottysabres

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't think Girgs will be back, I think Brett Murray is going to get his chance as the LW'er on line 4 opposite Okposo this coming season. I remember Murray stepping up in that NJ game for Kyle a couple years ago. He's big, his game has come along some from back then.

I don't know, maybe the guys that follow the Amerks close can chime in on this, but watching that 1st Hershey / Rochester game he was very noticeable. 

The only issue I have with that is Murray seems to be a much slower skater than Girgs (which can matter on penalty killing forechecks) and he doesn't have the experience that Girgs does there either.  On a 3rd line role Murray may be better, but on a 4th line/PK role that would be a step down.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm just loving how this signing has some people so bent out of shape. Loving it.

I am happy for Kyle.  He deserves this.  This is what an organization does to demonstrate that it cares about players. This is how an organization makes people want to be part of it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

That FL 2-1 game lost was Levi in Goal. No bigger Loss the whole season. Near the end and would have cemented Sabres in.

There were games that Sabres should have won but just couldn't produce goals. The Captain gets those goals/assists out of his players, especially the young ones. On occasion he does it himself. The Captain gets his team buckled down to hold leads. Only needed 2pts and there were Plenty of games Okposo should have dialed in his players.

Goaltending is easy answer, you need it to win series, ie... FL

Two long losing streaks Sabres had needed Okposo to lead his Team out. Washington game lead, Home game record.

So, you are saying Okposo was the reason we didn’t make the playoffs?  All the captain had to do is cheer on the team huh?  Everything that went wrong was because the captain didn’t lead them out of it? 

There is so much wrong with this.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

4th line was a BIG minus in player stats. You have to score some to at least keep it even. Your Top line must be a BIG plus even with some defensive deficiencies that come with scoring. The 4th line wasn't good enough.

Okposo was a -7, Girgs was a -5 and Krebs was a - 8. That is far from being a big minus for a season stat. A team is comprised of many parts that go beyond statistics. Leadership and value can't always be properly measured by numbers. This is especially true for Okposo. If there were any resistance by a faction of the players that didn't want him in the room, he wouldn't have been re-signed. 

It's inarguable that professional sports can be a cold-blooded business. But that doesn't mean that players aren't aware of how certain long-standing and loyal players are treated when they are on the verge of finishing their careers. If you want to create an environment where other players want to come, you have to handle your players in a respectful manner and with dignity. 

Okposo is not the player he once was. But he still has value in a more limited role and as a teammate on this team. Building a team is more than accumulating disparate pieces. He is a player and person whose presence solidifies the group. Although its value can't be quantified, it can be understood and appreciated. 

Edited by JohnC

I think KO is a good signing but I expect he will be platooned a lot this season to keep him fresh as the season progresses.  

There are numerous claims in several threads that the Sabres would start the season with 3 or 4 more rookies.  Signing Kyle makes these fantasies hard to reach.  

I think Zemgus could get an offer that we won’t match.  I also think Olofsson will be traded.  That will open up one or two slots for a rookie to crack.  

If we lose Z we need another bottom 6 vet imo, last I checked our PK was the dregs. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m fine with this signing. As long as he becomes more familiar with the press box. I also would like a fair and open training camp. If Rousek beats out Okposo, then let Rousek play. As KA would say, I don’t want Okposo blocking youth. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

The only issue I have with that is Murray seems to be a much slower skater than Girgs (which can matter on penalty killing forechecks) and he doesn't have the experience that Girgs does there either.  On a 3rd line role Murray may be better, but on a 4th line/PK role that would be a step down.

I think Murray is destined to be a career AHLer because of that lack of speed. Is he gonna beat out an icing and feed the puck to a teammate for an easy empty netter like Girgs? Girgs may have no offensive finish in his game, but his speed and tenacity on the puck is valuable. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I'm just loving how this signing has some people so bent out of shape. Loving it.

I am happy for Kyle.  He deserves this.  This is what an organization does to demonstrate that it cares about players. This is how an organization makes people want to be part of it.

Yes!  Who cares about striving to make the playoffs, as long as they "care about their players".    I am surprised they lowballed KO.  His value on and off the ice was worth a raise not a pay cut.  He is getting screwed.  Should be a multi-year deal with a future ownership stake.

/sarcasm off

It's fun to remember that this was the first full season with Tuch, Krebs, Quinn, and JJP. Really it was the first year post teardown as Eichel was traded midway through the 2021 season. Anyways, not important when looking at what this team did this season, I was just musing. 

Edit: and first season with Power. So first full season with Tuch, Krebs, Quinn, JJP, and Power. 

Edited by LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's fun to remember that this was the first full season with Tuch, Krebs, Quinn, and JJP. Really it was the first year post teardown as Eichel was traded midway through the 2021 season. Anyways, not important when looking at what this team did this season, I was just musing. 

You still didn't explain how this doesn't effect Rousek.

Just now, Buffalonill said:

You still didn't explain how this doesn't effect Rousek.

A couple things. The first is I don't answer to you. I don't have to explain myself to you ever. The second is I haven't ever been asked about Rousek as far as I remember. I see no reason why Rousek cannot take the spot left vacant by Zemgus or Hinostroza. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

A couple things. The first is I don't answer to you. I don't have to explain myself to you ever. The second is I haven't ever been asked about Rousek as far as I remember. I see no reason why Rousek cannot take the spot left vacant by Zemgus or Hinostroza. 

So where does Jost fit then ? If buffalo just wanted kyle for the "voice " they should have just brought him as a coach. 

And the fact they even signed him knowing one more concussion and his life could be ruined is concerning 

Last I checked it was May 25th and the season does not start until October. I'll worry about Jost and Rousek then, if both are still with the team and no one else has been moved. For the record, the Sabres could sign Jost and still have 1 forward spot open for Rousek. 

And I think the cancer description is off; it's more that the locker room was fractured into several different factions and all players weren't pulling in the same direction.  The players brought in to provide veteran leadership (Gionta, Gorges, etc.) were ignored by the tank fruit in lieu of the bad influences (Kane, Bogo).

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ... said:

Not sure what you're asking. Are you suggesting Okposo take the players with the bad attitude and cliquey mindset out behind the arena and learn them a good one?

IQ23E9.gif

My point was,  I'd he's such a strong leader, why the alleged problems in the locker room before? He's getting credit for a good locker room when it's good,  but no blame when it's bad. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.