Kyle Okposo is back

KA was a 4th line 15 goal player with Carolina when they won the Cup years back. May see himself in KO. 

I'll wait to see the off-season completed. I do expect trades of some current guys on our roster in order to improve the D and maybe Goalie.  

Slots will be open for young guys to advance, if they are ready. I'm not paying any attention to Mr. Bottom 4 and his zeal to promote several teenagers immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Trust Kevyn?  He has f***ed up the goaltending situation 3 years running, and if he goes with UPL/Levi/Comrie in 23-24, there is a good chance it will become 4 years. 

Different issue.  Is he perfect?  No.  Is the team moving in the right direction?  Yes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

He'll keep the C.

Which is part of the problem with Kyle Okposo coming back after your done saying why? Kyle Okposo has been washed up for three years and we want more of that ridiculous. This deal is so Buffalo Sabres and part of the reason why we are going around in circles for 12 years and counting. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season Don Granato has to be gone for recommending crap like this. This decision is definitely on Don Granato who I guarantee endorsed crap like this evolve Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

51 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

2.5M for what's reported be the best guy in the lockerroom to mentor one of the youngest teams in the league -who also contributes defensively on a team with f-tier team defense?

Sign me up.

And Kyle Okposo leadership got the Buffalo Sabres where again? Kyle Okposo is washed up and we are wasting a roster spot on this bum who can’t play anymore. His skating is subpar the Sabres should have walked away. I can’t believe Buffalo Sabres fans can’t see that he can’t keep up with the play on the ice. He belongs in a old timers league not the NHL a waste of $2.5 million dollars in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 3

If Okposo is on the 4th line, clocking 13 minutes per game or less, I am fine with this. 

At this point he's not a 3rd liner on a top playoff team anymore, which is where I think this team is shooting for. You watch these playoff teams and they have 3 lines that can score and the 4th line is tough defensively and chips in occasionally. Maybe Okposo is part of that sort of 4th line, as I feel like he was at times in the recent past.  

I am not in the least worried about 'blocking' Kulich or Rosen as they need more seasoning in the AHL anyway and can be call-ups if needed. I am more interested in how this may impact re-signing Jost who I think is a great 4th liner, and Girgensons who is also a 4th liner. 

KO is still solid. He’s going to win board battles and help the youth. He and Z turned Krebs from a positionless player at the start of last season into a grinder center with a ton of value for this team. Maybe KO can replicate that with Savoie. 

KO is only 1 year removed from 45 points (when he had a PP role) and still managed 28 pts last season with a much smaller PP role (some PP2 time); not bad for a bottom 6. 

His downside is he won’t get any faster and he started to take more hooking penalties last season than you want to see. He’s got to clean that up a bit. But in the playoffs they don’t call hooks anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

1,000 games/600 points

He'll be LTIR'd once he hits those and "has a boo boo"

I doubt that reaching statistical benchmarks is the reason why he is kept. He has too much integrity and pride to play another year just for the sake of reaching some personal goals. Few would dispute the fact that he's not the player that he was a few years ago. But as a fourth liner he has a role on this team. And it is undeniable that he is a well-respected voice on the ice and in the room. Now, that he is playing this season the next issue of whether Girgs is gong to be retained or even want to be here. I don't know what the answer is to that question. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I liked the Okposo signing all those years ago. Some may not like using the roster spot, but I get it, unlike the Eichel/Reinhart group, who had Kane, ROR and so on, Okposo is Pappa Bear to this group. You can tell when they talk about him in interviews, there is joking and smiles, but a firm respect for him. And I believe he's earned that, and he's earned this 1 year "let's make a run at it".

I guess I'm a sucker for feel good moments in sports, but this feels right, it feels good for the team.

Edit: and to The Latvian Locomotive, come on Z, give it one more go, and this off season, for all that is good in this world, practice staying on your feet please.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

And Kyle Okposo leadership got the Buffalo Sabres where again? Kyle Okposo is washed up and we are wasting a roster spot on this bum who can’t play anymore. His skating is subpar the Sabres should have walked away. I can’t believe Buffalo Sabres fans can’t see that he can’t keep up with the play on the ice. He belongs in a old timers league not the NHL a waste of $2.5 million dollars in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I totally disagree.  Well, not with all of it, his skating is subpar at the NHL level, but he's not washed up.  He plays a responsible Defensive game for a forward and I think the 'fancy stats' someone posted back that up. Add that to 10-15 goals and you have a good 4th liner. Worth 2.5m good?  This team has cap room this year no matter what so its not an issue.

Is he on the downside of his career? for sure.  Does he have serious limitations where you don't want him on your top 2 or 3 lines? Yep. Washed up?  I don't think yet.

I wouldn’t have signed him but I can live with it. I thought his effectiveness had dropped by about a third. He has two moves, dump and chase or try and squeeze between the D and the boards.

They value his leadership and he did help create the new culture on the team so he should be a part of the team if he thinks he can help. I hope he is wise enough to step aside if he is injured, exhausted or just plain blocking a better talent.

Leadership is still needed but I was hoping KA was going to get a playoff tested veteran to help the new guys with letters. I think a different type of leadership is needed to be a playoff type of team. 20 year old Wyatt Johnston has almost as many playoff games as KO has played in 16 years.

I wonder if KA moves on from Girgs and Jost to find some playoff hardened vets.

• Agree 1

I don't like it. Plus $2.5 million is more than I'd pay for Okposo, (I'd pay about $1 mil, he's taken enough of our money) who's going to take a roster spot away from someone who could be more productive than him both in the short term and the long term. There's a real log-jam among the forwards. I know KO has been here a long time and he's been through a lot of adversity, but I just wish they let him go and trust the succession. They might have to move a guy like Jost, who I really like. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah! zzzzzzzz.   

At least KA wanted KO's 1000th NHL game to be in blue and gold (or red and black or white and blue w gold trim or.......).

This does make it much less likely Z returns.

Current forwards under contract - Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Greenway, Mitts, KO, Krebs, Quinn, JJP, and VO. That's 11 forwards for those counting at home.

Also Savoie and Kulich are under contract.  Jost and Rousek are RFAs.  Not many spaces left with at least 10 of 11 Sabres from last season almost certain to return next fall.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Is the goal to make the playoffs in 23-24, or see KO play his 1000th NHL game as a Sabre?  

My two cents…waste of a roster spot and an even bigger waste of 2.5 mil of cap space. 

It’s a baby bath water thing for me. I don’t really like moves like this but if we didn’t make them, Adams wouldn’t Adams at all and all the other things he does so well wouldn’t be there, either. Will continue to focus on macro results 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Why why ? Jesus cant we move on and 2.5m ? So he gets more then Bergeron thats Laughable.

Some can disgrace but we didn't need to sign him we have enough players with voices now .

If they sign Girgensons im going to lose it 

Exactly! Been losing/out of Playoffs a combined 12 years and Okposo/Girg been apart of that for 7 years

Even the Amerks are ahead of the Sabres playoff wise and their Prospects farther ahead. Could be argued, Rousek, Rosen, Kulich are farther ahead then Quinn, Krebs and Peterka in development

So with Okposo signed who goes? Middlestat or Krebs? They still have Jost too and Savoie (not going to be in minors)

This is a HUGE mistake

5 hours ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Which is part of the problem with Kyle Okposo coming back after your done saying why? Kyle Okposo has been washed up for three years and we want more of that ridiculous. This deal is so Buffalo Sabres and part of the reason why we are going around in circles for 12 years and counting. If the Buffalo Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season Don Granato has to be gone for recommending crap like this. This decision is definitely on Don Granato who I guarantee endorsed crap like this evolve Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

For a long time Sabres wished someone to take Okposo from us, wanted to cut him but the money was too much. Few Vets that wanted to hang around through rebuild so Okposo has stayed around. Good guy but make NO MISTAKE, we could do better. 7 years with Okposo and no playoffs. That is all you need to know. Even guys like Dahlin can't survive years of losing. We lost Eichel over years of losing.

Now either Eichel or Reinhart will probably have a Stanley Cup before Sabres even get to the Playoffs

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Whos spot is he taking? Savoie is a lock and Kulich? With his regular season and playoffs how can you deny him a chance ?

What about rosen ? 

So many people deserve a chance this is a move you make a training at camp if they all disappoint 

Zero chance they wave him or press box him for the better player 

Yes Savoie, Rousek, Rosen and Kulich deserve a spot more than Okposo. anyone of those guys could get 28 pts.

6 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I like the signing. Far less than we've been paying him to be a bottom 6 forward for most of his time in Buffalo. He's a great locker room guy and still contributing on the ice even if it's not on the score sheet.

Also worse case OK can sit in the press box if the kids are tearing it up.

I'm hoping this is "one last hurrah" though as we transition to a younger leader group of Dahlin, Cozens  and ideally Tuch. My guess is next year unless Girgs is back Cozens or Tuch gets and A, and the year after one of them gets the C (likely Dahlin, though my vote would be Tuch).

I have really liked Girgenson's work ethic and all, but I hope this means they don't bring him back. I think he's going to want more term than I'd offer him. I'd consider bringing him back on the same deal as OK, but with the understanding that he's a depth forward and may not play every game.

Moves like this, 13 years of no playoffs

Why ? If they beat out the captain and are heads and shoulders better what  Message does that send to other players "hey sorry hes the voice better luck next year" 

Definitely show Adams is TOO EMOTIONAL to be GM

6 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't love the signing but I also don't hate it. Our forwards weren't the problem last year. That said I'd like us to have a defensively responsible 4th line along the lines of Okposo/Girgs/Krebs but I don't want to settle for our 3rd line to be a combination of Jost/Greenway/VO/Mitts. I want to see a 3rd line that's just as capable as scoring as our 2nd line and will give other teams defensive fits.  This means icing some of our shiny higher-end draft picks that have been marinating and not DG reclamation projects. 

Forwards weren't the PROBLEM????

Forwards played poor defense

Outside of top line forwards didn't score enough

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

Trust me, the players know that KO deserves a spot ahead of Rosen. Kulich, while a great prospect, still had to refine his game a tad. Rousek is the only forward in Rochester ready for the NHL.

I see, team with 12  no playoff years, youngest team in NHL, prospects in 1st year who do not score much are better,

than an AHL team's Prospects that are winning playoff series, contributing Points and some of the best players in the AHL.

Rosen is making more plays than Rousek and Kulich

Rosen, Rousek, Kulich are ahead in development than Quinn, Peterka and Krebs    NOT CLOSE

And thats wrong whats the point of competition if you already give it to the captain. 

If you're better then the captain you should get his spot sorry its heartless but its about winning now

Not Heartless, be stupid to do anything else. Our Top line has years in the NHL now. Dahlin is going into 5th year. We are NOT that young. We could use a defensive pairing for Power. Good scoring Vet with 1-2 years left to contract for Cozens. Okposo is a mistake to sign. Not needed. Captain will be Tuch or Dahlin.

From a straight hockey standpoint, I can easily rationalise a 1 year deal for Girgensons and Okposo: which forwards from last year showed or have shown competence at penalty killing?  If you don't keep them, you need to get at least 4 forwards who can all kill penalties.  Maybe they are equivalent, but the players and staff probably would feel better with a couple of known quantities.

Other reasons are easy to understand.  Okposo and Girgensons help train young players to play the game more intelligently.  With a team this young, a couple of veterans who have embraced this role is very important.

I would not underestimate sentimentality among the players.  These two can make guys try that little bit more in tough moments because the guys definitely would like them to get to the playoffs.  For a real example, look back at the 2001 playoffs when, if the Avalanche's play sagged, you would always see Ray Bourque put on the ice to get everyone to raise their games.  A more obvious example was the 1989 Final, when Bob Johnson inserted Lanny MacDonald into the line-up for game 6 to give the Flames a lift.

Having said that, I expect that Okposo will be the 13th or 14th forward by season's end.  I would expect that to be a possibility as well for Girgensons if he is re-signed.

• Haha (+1) 1

I would have agreed with you about a week ago but with buffalo basically telling everyone " hey hes not here to practice but help us win a cup" 

It just seems different 

Savoie will have to play himself OFF the Sabres Rochester. He can't play regular season with AHL. Only Playoffs and this is his first audition

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If I drew a venn diagram of all the ppl who say the tank failed because we didn't surround the kids with good leaders and then all the ppl bitching about Okposo coming back... it would be a circle. 

I now know who to blame

4 hours ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

You were OK till you called Okposo a BUM. The man played 900 NHL games, he is NOT a BUM. No need to call the man a name cause Adams made the signing. Call Okposo smart and Adams possible an emotional GM who should be in AHL where he may fit better.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess I am okay with the signing.

But in no universe, whatsoever, do I want Girgensons back! He offers nothing to the team. It’s just an expense and money that could be used far better. Either going toward signing our young players to long-term deals, or put toward a bigger, free agent signing. I just don’t get, the benefit of Girgensons to this team. For his size, he is not at all a very physical player. And he’s not a scorer either. If he were some sort of epic defender and a strong physical presence on the ice I could see it. But he isn’t. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I doubt that reaching statistical benchmarks is the reason why he is kept. He has too much integrity and pride to play another year just for the sake of reaching some personal goals. Few would dispute the fact that he's not the player that he was a few years ago. But as a fourth liner he has a role on this team. And it is undeniable that he is a well-respected voice on the ice and in the room. Now, that he is playing this season the next issue of whether Girgs is gong to be retained or even want to be here. I don't know what the answer is to that question. 

4th line was a BIG minus in player stats. You have to score some to at least keep it even. Your Top line must be a BIG plus even with some defensive deficiencies that come with scoring. The 4th line wasn't good enough.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Kulich is closer than you’re giving him credit for.   Even if it is a third line/PP2 role (VO Slot). He has an NHL shot today and is faster than average.  
The Sabres have also shown their preference to develop in-house at the NHL level.  

They failed, Amerks proving that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.