Sabres Announce that Matthew Savoie has been assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have a hunch Ostland may get moved at some point. Not because he's going back to Sweden per se, but because the Sabres and Amerks look to be loaded with forwards. Out of sight, out of mind.

I wouldn't mind seeing that for a solid Dman

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have a hunch Ostland may get moved at some point. Not because he's going back to Sweden per se, but because the Sabres and Amerks look to be loaded with forwards. Out of sight, out of mind.

That would be a mistake in my mind. He has a ton of Sebastian Aho traits to his game.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Could be.  Before any trade, I would want to do a real evaluation of him with his peer group to really understand were he ranks.  Summer development camp is good.  Rochester would be even better for him.  The coaching staff there is doing good work.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I doubt it happens, but the Oilers and Rangers are close to the cap and they have RFAs in Bouchard and Miller that need to be signed. 

Those are the type of d man I would imagine would cost Östlund or Rosen. 

If those type of guys were actually available I would have no problem giving up Rosen or Östlund for them. Young, long term pieces.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I doubt it happens, but the Oilers and Rangers are close to the cap and they have RFAs in Bouchard and Miller that need to be signed. 

Those are the type of d man I would imagine would cost Östlund or Rosen. 

I would love to get Miller.

Odds of either being available is probably slimmer then the suggested UFA guys signing with Buff.  I would rather a big move like Miller and would give up a Rosen or maybe Östlund but unlikely it happens. 

25 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is Bouchard the type of player we want? Seems like another offensive guy. Maybe he's good enough that we don't care about that?

Not the guy I would want. He’s young enough to improve but he is an offense first Dman being groomed for PP1 duty on the Oilers.

I’ve seen him get burned often defensively during these playoffs.

We’ve seen what happens when Mule is hurt, we need another Mule.

I still hope for Graves as a UFA.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Novikov in 2 years.

Unfortunately, this team doesn't have 2 years.

Which, if you're convinced is the case, you can acquire a war horse in his 30s, knowing he doesn't have to be a long term piece. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Which, if you're convinced is the case, you can acquire a war horse in his 30s, knowing he doesn't have to be a long term piece. 

And this is what I'd like to see Buffalo do this offseason.

Specifically, go full rental and trade for Hellebuyck and DeMelo from Winnipeg. I don't need to go into a description of why Hellebuyck is a good goalie, but DeMelo is an overlooked RHD who gets a lot of unnecessary flak from his fanbase because he's boring and doesn't run up points. From the stats nerds perspective, he's a solid D-man. He's at least partly responsible for unlocking Morrisey. He's also considered a likeably guy and a leader on the team and he's on a $3m contract for 23-24 so Buffalo isn't stuck long-term if he doesn't work out. Extending him shouldn't be difficult either if Buffalo is truly a playoff team and he's partnering with a former 1OA pick. If you bring him back for 3 more seasons, that lets you bring in players like Novikov on the third line while still under their ELCs and gives you some buffer in the event of injury.

More importantly he is a puck mover and should work within Granato's system. We can talk advanced stats all day on players, but not every player plays a game that will work with every team. DeMelo's play should translate just fine to being the right-hand man to Power and letting Power open his game up more.

If the Jets are willing to listen to offers on Hellebuyck, I'm sure they're willing to listen on DeMelo. I don't know what the cost would be, but it will be easier to acquire him over the summer than trying to get him in February.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

And this is what I'd like to see Buffalo do this offseason.

Specifically, go full rental and trade for Hellebuyck and DeMelo from Winnipeg. I don't need to go into a description of why Hellebuyck is a good goalie, but DeMelo is an overlooked RHD who gets a lot of unnecessary flak from his fanbase because he's boring and doesn't run up points. From the stats nerds perspective, he's a solid D-man. He's at least partly responsible for unlocking Morrisey. He's also considered a likeably guy and a leader on the team and he's on a $3m contract for 23-24 so Buffalo isn't stuck long-term if he doesn't work out. Extending him shouldn't be difficult either if Buffalo is truly a playoff team and he's partnering with a former 1OA pick. If you bring him back for 3 more seasons, that lets you bring in players like Novikov on the third line while still under their ELCs and gives you some buffer in the event of injury.

More importantly he is a puck mover and should work within Granato's system. We can talk advanced stats all day on players, but not every player plays a game that will work with every team. DeMelo's play should translate just fine to being the right-hand man to Power and letting Power open his game up more.

If the Jets are willing to listen to offers on Hellebuyck, I'm sure they're willing to listen on DeMelo. I don't know what the cost would be, but it will be easier to acquire him over the summer than trying to get him in February.

He would fit that 4-5D description. He is from southern Ontario, much closer to home than Winnipeg.

He was good in Ottawa as well, just playing too high up in the lineup on a bad team.

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The ranked Östlund above Kulich last year, I don't think they move away from him so quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why? Also how would we be able to say that? 

I don't fully get your questions. What I'm saying is Kulich is doing something in the Sabres system right now while Östlund is not. Not meant to disparage Östlund. I'm just saying people are seeing what Kulich can bring now.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't fully get your questions. What I'm saying is Kulich is doing something in the Sabres system right now while Östlund is not. Not meant to disparage Östlund. I'm just saying people are seeing what Kulich can bring now.

But you claim that Östlund has catching up to do, I don't understand how we could make that determination when he hasn't played on NA ice yet. I had Kulich above Östlund last year in my rankings but the Sabres didn't, and I don't think they do now. They are probably even in their eyes but Östlund was quite good in the Allsvenskan this season. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

But you claim that Östlund has catching up to do, I don't understand how we could make that determination when he hasn't played on NA ice yet. I had Kulich above Östlund last year in my rankings but the Sabres didn't, and I don't think they do now. They are probably even in their eyes but Östlund was quite good in the Allsvenskan this season. 

Catching up in the sense of doing stuff within in the Sabres system. We all see Kulich on fire in the AHL playoffs. Östlund has played in the Swedish AHL. We don't see it. There's no buzz. He's been injured so he's not doing anything right now. That's all I'm saying. Östlund might be incredible, but we haven't seen anything yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, Pimlach said:

It would be fun to see him play.  

This off season will be one of the most interesting with Savoie and Kulich fighting to make the roster.  I do not recall the Sabres ever having a stream of good prospects like this.   This group is even bigger and maybe more impactful than the Ryan Miller Amerks group.  

It’s way bigger if you count the five rookies from last year and by all means you should….

it’s just a crazy long list of talent going all the way to pick 13 this year…. Were definitely getting another good forward to add to the group. Then we are going to get a bunch of defensemen to shore our defensemen prospects group.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.