Sabres Announce that Matthew Savoie has been assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

I don’t see a downside in playing one of (or the) franchises top prospects in a huge AHL series.  Agreed he probably should wait until Atleast game 3 and practise with the team.  But too good of experience to not get him in the lineup.  Again, this is our top friggen prospect.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Derrico said:

Does this push me to make the 4 hour drive next Saturday around the lake to watch live?  Or do I just wait to see him at Sabres development camp in a month or two?  I’ll get the Kulich, Rosen and Savoie experience going which may be worth it….

Östlund also.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I don’t see a downside in playing one of (or the) franchises top prospects in a huge AHL series.  Agreed he probably should wait until Atleast game 3 and practise with the team.  But too good of experience to not get him in the lineup.  Again, this is our top friggen prospect.  

Jiri Kulich as nd Devon Levi would like a word 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

ATO & ELC are unrelated. He can sign an ATO at any point and be put in the lineup. The fact that he’s previously signed an ELC doesn’t have an impact.  

Did some digging, and this info is NOT on the AHL nor the Amerks website btw, but it looks like the list of eligible players to play in the AHL playoffs can come from 3 separate sources:

1.  Those players on the AHL roster on the day of the trade deadline.

2.  Those players on an AHL ATO with the particular squad.

AND

3.  Signed draft choices.

Until today had never seen that 3rd category listed in any official sources.  (Technically, still haven't seen that 3rd category listed in any official sources.)  So, with that 3rd category included as a source of players then both Savoie and the other guy assigned to Ra-cha-cha can play for them in the playoffs if Appert and the other powers that be want them to play.

Kept being very confused about how they would be allowed to play in the playoffs for Ra-cha-cha as they didn't meet the criteria to be on either of the 1st 2 lists.  They are on that 3rd list.  Expect that Johnson would be on that list as well were he to have signed a deal with the Sabres before the regular season ended but then didn't play for them this season, but don't know that for certain (again, haven't seen that 3rd category of playoff eligible players listed in any formal source). 

(And realize you know this next part, it isn't directed at your post, but is merely here for completeness.)  Savoie became eligible to play in the AHL as soon as his Winnipeg Ice got eliminated from the WHL playoffs.  He will not be eligible to play for the Amerks next season unless Winnipeg allows him to play for Rochester rather than the Ice (they won't do that) or until the Ice have completed their regular season and are no longer eligible to continue playing in the playoffs/Memorial Cup.

Apologies for helping to perpetuate the confusion about this question about CHL players playing in the AHL playoffs.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of player availability, but it's always appeared that players could jump "up" a league right into the playoffs if needed. The rule is almost entirely about teams not loading up their AHL team with NHL talent after they're out of the playoffs (going "down" a league, so to speak). Teams can play guys from a lower league at any point from what I can tell (see Doug Janik, 2006, Buffalo Sabres, played 0 regular season games, 5 Playoff games).

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd love to see him play down there to see how he fits in,. But I also understand that he just might not be ready to step in A lineup That's doing pretty well without him.

He just put up 29 points in 19 playoff games for the ice.  He’s one of our top prospects.

I, along with several others, think there is a legit shot he makes the Sabres in October.  No chance he’s not ready to step in the lineup for Amerks.  It would be a missed development opportunity if they dont give him any games.  

I’m guessing he plays by atleast game 3 regardless of how the series has gone.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've been to developmental camp a lot the last 2 years. Being 20 minutes away and retired has it's perks. It's funny to be dressing heavily during a hot summer day but Harborcenter is freezing cold. Always laugh when I see folks wander in with shorts and a t-shirt. 

Can't wait to see him and all the rest of the youth. As a whole, they all looked very fast but needed to grow into NHL bodies. So it's hard for me to predict a roster spot sooner than later. We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

I've been to developmental camp a lot the last 2 years. Being 20 minutes away and retired has it's perks. It's funny to be dressing heavily during a hot summer day but Harborcenter is freezing cold. Always laugh when I see folks wander in with shorts and a t-shirt. 

Can't wait to see him and all the rest of the youth. As a whole, they all looked very fast but needed to grow into NHL bodies. So it's hard for me to predict a roster spot sooner than later. We'll see.

I also go and I wear shorts and a Tee shirt, although now I bring a hoody too.    

I love a cold rink and the sound of hockey practice.   Love it.  

I hope to make it this year, I should be in town.   

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

This.

If you, or any SabreSpacer goes to development camp  I would love to read about your observations.  

• Like (+1) 1

As long as Milic isn't on the Hershey, Savoie will be alright.

That said, I at least let him get a couple practices in before allowing him to dress for a playoff game. I also just watched 3 games vs. the T-birds, and while he looked dynamic at times, he also disappeared for long stretches and was overpowered a whole bunch. I'm tempering my expectations for when Savoie starts playing against adults who can take away time and space from him even better than the T-birds did.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'm tempering my expectations for when Savoie starts playing against adults who can take away time and space from him even better than the T-birds did.

It would be good to get him into a game to let him see what he can expect.  As far as what I expect from him, it would be kind of like what JJ and Quinn produced for the Sabres.  Maybe an early hot flash but mostly just trying to hold his own out there.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It would be good to get him into a game to let him see what he can expect.  As far as what I expect from him, it would be kind of like what JJ and Quinn produced for the Sabres.  Maybe an early hot flash but mostly just trying to hold his own out there.

Hope he gets in in game 3 with the Amerks up 2-0 and no pressure so he can play a little looser.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d have no issue with him playing tomorrow night.  
there is no way he wouldn’t be one of the top 9 Amerks right now 

More likely it’s game 2.  Would love him to get a spot on the PP right away 

17 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Östlund also.

Östlund has gone back to Sweden.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MattPie said:

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of player availability, but it's always appeared that players could jump "up" a league right into the playoffs if needed. The rule is almost entirely about teams not loading up their AHL team with NHL talent after they're out of the playoffs (going "down" a league, so to speak). Teams can play guys from a lower league at any point from what I can tell (see Doug Janik, 2006, Buffalo Sabres, played 0 regular season games, 5 Playoff games).

Yes, teams can pull players up from a lower league for their own playoffs provided they have the rights to tishat player by way of him having a contract w/ that club or the parent club on tje NHL Trade Deadline and not having been rostered to a league higher tjan the one in question or by signing an ATO.

But there are rules on player movement which sometimes allow a player to play for a club in the regular season but not in the playoffs.e.g., a FA signed on January can't play for his NHL club in the playoffs that season and a player traded after the trade deadline can play for the new club in the regular season but not in the playoffs. 

And though it makes sense that a draft pick that hasn't been playing in the NHL SHOULD be able to play for the AHL affiliate once his Junior team is done for the year; the NHL and many other leagues don't always do things that make sense.  As mentioned in a previous post, couldn't find anything on the NHL's website, the AHL's, or the Sabres or Amerks websites stating that draft choices could be added onto the playoff roster of the AHL affiliate if they already had an NHL contract & weren't on the AHL affiliate's playoff roster.  Turns out they can be, but simply reading what is actually posted implies they can't.

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’d have no issue with him playing tomorrow night.  
there is no way he wouldn’t be one of the top 9 Amerks right now 

More likely it’s game 2.  Would love him to get a spot on the PP right away 

Östlund has gone back to Sweden.  

Why?

58 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why?

He only came here to get his foot looked at. He fully intended to go back to the SHL, especially since he's going to play in the top league SHL. instead of their version of the AHL, which is where he played last season.  The Sabres would have preferred he played in Rochester but are otherwise okay with the choice.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He only came here to get his foot looked at. He fully intended to go back to the SHL, especially since he's going to play in the top league SHL. instead of their version of the AHL, which is where he played last season.  The Sabres would have preferred he played in Rochester but are otherwise okay with the choice.

That sucks I would have liked for him to play some North American hockey. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

That sucks I would have liked for him to play some North American hockey. 

I have a hunch Ostland may get moved at some point. Not because he's going back to Sweden per se, but because the Sabres and Amerks look to be loaded with forwards. Out of sight, out of mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.