Kyle Dubas not returning as Toronto Maple Leafs GM

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Ridicule away.  We’re the baseline now, though.

Depends how you measure it. 

If you want to measure it by a rinky dink badly run organization that makes poor decisions and can't even spell the name of alumni, then we are it. 

If you want to measure it by a team that has a huge fanbase, massive merch sales, full houses, money all over and makes moves to the max and STILL fails, then it's them. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Depends how you measure it. 

If you want to measure it by a rinky dink badly run organization that makes poor decisions and can't even spell the name of alumni, then we are it. 

If you want to measure it by a team that has a huge fanbase, massive merch sales, full houses, money all over and makes moves to the max and STILL fails, then it's them. 

It seems to me, if you are a fan of the team with either of those descriptions you have no room to point and laugh.

Which had been my point all along.

All this talk of comparing Sabres and Vancouver and any other team that has never won a cup to teams that have makes no sense to me.

I am no fan of The Great Satan or most other teams that have won the cup (the only other teams I like are Montreal - my wife is from there - and Pittsbugh - because of Mario and we lived there when they won their first two cups), but to say any of them are worthy of our ridicule and laughing at them just does not make sense to me.

Cups (whenever and however) are always going to trump no cups and maybe a cusp (hey oh, @PASabreFan) or two.

As for Dubas, good for him for orchestrating his exit.  I don't really care where he ends up.  I do think he is a good GM if he can spread his wings.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

It seems to me, if you are a fan of the team with either of those descriptions you have no room to point and laugh.

Which had been my point all along.

I do see your point, I guess I just view it a little differently. I see it akin to those classic and maybe cliche stories with the rich kid spoiled varsity guy and the poor downtrodden underdog and you want to see that spoiled brat fail and the underdog rise.  So even when the underdog hasn't risen there is some satisfaction in seeing the rich kid not do much better. Sort of like that. 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do see your point, I guess I just view it a little differently. I see it akin to those classic and maybe cliche stories with the rich kid spoiled varsity guy and the poor downtrodden underdog and you want to see that spoiled brat fail and the underdog rise.  So even when the underdog hasn't risen there is some satisfaction in seeing the rich kid not do much better. Sort of like that. 

The Sabres are no underdog.  Their situation was chosen.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Weave said:

The Sabres are no underdog.  Their situation was chosen.

lol, for a fan you really seem to hate them 🙂

I've been a fan for decades so the last decade has been frustrating and somewhat unbearable. I'd guess it's the same for you. What if you were young though and just started following them say 10 years ago or even less. Then they'd be an underdog. Or better yet, if you just started being a fan of hockey and chose the worst team cause there was only one way up, then they'd definitely be an uinderdog. 

Anyway, regardless of what happens in Buffalo, I still enjoy watching the Leafs suffer, and you should try it too. There is some satisfaction in it. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, for a fan you really seem to hate them 🙂

I've been a fan for decades so the last decade has been frustrating and somewhat unbearable. I'd guess it's the same for you. What if you were young though and just started following them say 10 years ago or even less. Then they'd be an underdog. Or better yet, if you just started being a fan of hockey and chose the worst team cause there was only one way up, then they'd definitely be an uinderdog. 

Anyway, regardless of what happens in Buffalo, I still enjoy watching the Leafs suffer, and you should try it too. There is some satisfaction in it. 

I’m not expressing hatred for the Sabres.  I’m kind of pointing and laughing at all of you that think you’ve got something on the Leafs.

If that’s what gets you through the night, good for you.  Just understand that fans of every team in the league except Arizona is pointing and laughing at us too.  And we don’t have a legit argument against it. 

All the complaints you make about obnoxious Leafs fans, you don’t see the similarity when you attempt to mock them?

Edited by Weave
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not expressing hatred for the Sabres.  I’m kind of pointing and laughing at all of you that think you’ve got something on the Leafs.

If that’s what gets you through the night, good for you.  Just understand that fans of every team in the league except Arizona is pointing and laughing at us too.  And we don’t have a legit argument against it. 

All the complaints you make about obnoxious Leafs fans, you don’t see the similarity when you attempt to mock them?

Oh no, I get it. I totally get it. Remember I follow the Bruins as my B team and chat with some of them a little. I know full well how they talk about the Sabres. Benchmark team for failure for sure. However, I'd say we are such a huge failure we've kind of been dismissed as irrelevant. Leafs are still the most mocked team there too. It's a misery likes company thing and after your failure you just feel a little better when they continue to fail as well. 

I actually wonder why the Leafs aren't the MOST hated team by Sabres fans. I know there's playoff history with the Bruins and Canes and way back Montreal, but the Leafs proximity should make them the most hated by definition and thus the team to scorn and ridicule the most as well. But I think it's the Bruins still but I could be wrong. If we ever get really good again I'll know for sure. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

It honestly feels like you just want the Sabres and their fans to wallow in the mud and get ridiculed in perpetuity.

Fighting back against Leaf fans isn't in anyway wrong; you seem to feel that because Toronto has a Cup Banners that its enough to protect them from criticism and us from striking back.

Let me make it simple, for all the ups and downs in Buffalo as well as our multiplicity of issues; the Leafs still have yet to win a Cup since we came into existence. For the vast majority of time since 1970 until today the Leafs have had countless advantages from their location, monetary backing, and media darling status. Yet even with that among other advantages; the Sabres have had more general success than the Leafs in the same period of time while dealing with shoe string budgets, a crooked owner for a handful of years, and a tank that made itself at home much to our chagrin. If Leaf fans are allowed to target us, then we sure as hell have just as much of a right to slap back because their only leg to stand on is with Cups they won prior to NHL expansion. (Their last Cup was in the 66-67 season, 67-68 was the first year where the NHL had more than 6 teams)

10 hours ago, Weave said:

I have to say something about this. 

I grew up watching the maple leafs on hockey night In canada so for a while they were My second favorite team. It is listening to the behavior And just How obnoxious they are that actually has driven me away from being a fan of theirs. 

They are the only team in all of sports over my entire life that I used to like and I really no longer do like because of the fan base.

My wife grew up in New York City so I know all about obnoxious new york fans. I lived in Boston for a few years so I experienced first hand Red Sox and patriots fans for years. There are obnoxious fans all over. 

Listening to maple leaf fans talk and reading some of their social media and message boards, no fan base I have ever encountered Is as bad as they are. Maybe the patriots fans under brady, but certainly No other hockey fan base is even close as being as annoying and obnoxious is they are, especially for how little They have won anything of consequence recently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.