GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

33 minutes ago, hockey said:

Next year, the Sabres will get to poach a player from every other team and also have a draft.  Expansion is now bliss.

I'm not sure the Sabres would have nailed the expansion process given their philosophy of creating a dynasty... In the year 3535.

• Haha (+1) 2

I think people are underestimating how the failure of Atlanta and the continued performance of Columbus figured into the expansion rules.  The owners probably had to assure expansion groups a quick route to respectability.  The teams could protect their top half of their line-ups, but that meant that a lot of very good depth players got a chance to up their games and that the teams could produced balanced line-ups without real weaknesses.  Tanking teams have weaknesses galore, so of course the Sabres intrinsically would have taken longer to make the playoffs even if the GMs had been good and the coaching better.

As for how fast they were good: in 1973, Buffalo made the playoffs in the top 1/2 of the league in our 3rd season; in 1974, the Atlanta Flames did so in their second season; in 1975, the New York Islanders made the top half in their 3rd season; in 1976, Vancouver made the playoffs in their 4th season.  The Kraken being this good this fast could have happened even under older expansion draft rules.  Las Vegas benefitted from some really dumb decisions by established teams.  Again, the GM here is really important, preferably with good coaching.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure the Sabres would have nailed the expansion process given their philosophy of creating a dynasty... In the year 3535.

I'm not sure whether you'll be happier if the Sabres make the playoffs next year or miss the playoffs next year.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You start with 2525 and move up from there.