GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

Well, I live in DFW so I can give some local perspective.

DFW has a population of 7,000,000.

The Stars have a rabid fan base of about 30,000. The are passionate about the team, they fill the arena, and they are loud.

That being said, it's only 30,000. You can't find a Stars bumper sticker, lawn sign or billboard anywhere.

However, a Dallas Cowboy will sneeze in the offseason, and they will be 6 hours of sports radio discussion and four newspaper articles about it.

Outside of the Canadian cities, Buffalo, Boston, Philadelphia and Detroit, the rest of the NHL teams aren't really "tied" to their city.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

The only team that I will actually cheer for to win the Cup is the Sabres.

In terms of having a mild rooting interest, I'm pretty agnostic as to all the remaining teams.

For whatever reason, I can't summon the feeling of a grudge against Carolina or Dallas. Maybe that would be different if  I were watching one of these games, though.

Same goes for Eichel. As I type this out, I'm feeling like "I wish the young man well!" Again, I wonder how it would feel if I were watching the game. But I want to actually feel that way. Go on, Jack. The Sabres were never in this tournament. Light it up, fella.

All that said, I'm slightly partial to the Panthers. That's a good team and generally an enjoyable one to watch. I like that they apparently had a massive Presidents Trophy hangover, barely squeaked into the playoffs (edging out our team!), and now they're en fuego.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Well, I live in DFW so I can give some local perspective.

DFW has a population of 7,000,000.

The Stars have a rabid fan base of about 30,000. The are passionate about the team, they fill the arena, and they are loud.

That being said, it's only 30,000. You can't find a Stars bumper sticker, lawn sign or billboard anywhere.

However, a Dallas Cowboy will sneeze in the offseason, and they will be 6 hours of sports radio discussion and four newspaper articles about it.

Outside of the Canadian cities, Buffalo, Boston, Philadelphia and Detroit, the rest of the NHL teams aren't really "tied" to their city.

What about Minnesota?   That market that the Stars came from?  The top hockey market in the US, no? 

St Louis has a rabid fan base that will argue with you all day on that statement.  Go to a Blues game and it is non stop noise, knowledgeable fans, and all games are at or near capacity.  Look into how many NHL players are from the St Louis area and/or played youth hockey there.  Remember the 2016 draft?  Matthew Tkachuk (No. 6 - Calgary Flames), Clayton Keller (No. 7 - Arizona Coyotes), Logan Brown (No. 11 - Ottawa Senators), Luke Kunin (No. 15 - Minnesota Wild) and Trent Frederic (No. 28 - Boston Bruins) all are from St Louis.  They know hockey there.  

Rangers and Chicago are original 6 and they do alright.  Pittsburgh has a rabid fan base that even fills Buffalo's arena.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Vegas is annoying because they’re too trendy with all their new teams. You can barely hear their goal horn on tv when they score. I hate that. Go back to being just sin city 

Dallas is annoying because their jerseys and logo are too over the top. Go back to the old uniforms that weren’t so unbearable. Also their team is pretty good but all of their players are 38. 

Florida is annoying because you’d think it’s the phoenix coyotes arena based on how many empty seats there were during their presidents trophy season. Im sure there’s some die hard fans but the state of Florida doesn't need another Stanley cup

Carolina is annoying because their road helmets remind of the 1980s Russian ice hockey team. However they are young, fun and gritty. My pick is Carolina. I’ve got too much hatred in my blood for the Patriots, Bruins, Red Sox, senators, jets, dolphins, Steelers and cowboys to add Caniac Brindamour to my list. Win one for Brent Burns Beard 

Edited by OverPowerYou

On 5/16/2023 at 8:42 PM, Weave said:

***** Jack.

***** Sam.

***** anything Texas, including the 3.5hr layover I had in Dallas recently 

And ***** Brind’amor and his butt ugly mug and stupid apostrophe in the middle of his name.

Loved this post.  I honestly prefer Dallas to win.  If I have to pull for anyone it's Joe Pavelski.  This man is criminally underrated.   His game has seasoned like a nice red wine. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Loved this post.  I honestly prefer Dallas to win.  If I have to pull for anyone it's Joe Pavelski.  This man is criminally underrated.   His game has seasoned like a nice red wine. 

If the finals are Dallas vs Carolina one of Pavelski/Burns will get their first Cup. Two old Sharks still have some teeth.

Final Four has almost zero interest for me with none of these teams being in a legit hockey town. I do not want Vegas because Eichel (the guy has been playing better in the playoffs than he ever did here). If I wanted one team to win, probably the Panthers. Like others, I wish we still had Montour. That would have likely vaulted us into the playoffs. I hope Adams sees that reality and can land a top 4 defender this off season. 

After the Sabres - I root for the Original 6 (aside from Boston) in the cup chase  or the Oilers (loved the Gretzky / Messier era there).

Growing up in Buffalo (even before the Sabres arrived) I loved Hockey Night in Canada on Wednesday and Saturday. Never hated the Leafs like some on here do  (probably from interaction with Leaf fans). Always enjoyed the Leafs teams of Borje Salming, Daryl Sittler, & Lanny McDonald. Bruins were the team I hated as they beat up on us early (will never forget a 7-2, 80 shot on goal drubbing). Really hated all the Boston teams. Pats. Celtics because they always seemed to beat the Braves when it mattered. I was at a great game 4 win (McAdoo was incredible) and a game six loss on a bad foul call that allowed JoJo White to sink two FTs with no time on the clock (sat just behind the stansion at those games - snuck down to sit by the ball boys!). Crushing. (though they had some amazing players to watch in Cowens, Havlicek, White). Also hate the Flyers for obvious reasons (1975). I digress. 

Quite Meh on this final four as I think most of Canada & the US will be.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

If the finals are Dallas vs Carolina one of Pavelski/Burns will get their first Cup. Two old Sharks still have some teeth.

I can never support anything to do with Carolina due to 2007.   Meh.  No thanks, the Hurricanes can go down with their ship.  

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Final Four has almost zero interest for me with none of these teams being in a legit hockey town. I do not want Vegas because Eichel (the guy has been playing better in the playoffs than he ever did here). If I wanted one team to win, probably the Panthers. Like others, I wish we still had Montour. That would have likely vaulted us into the playoffs. I hope Adams sees that reality and can land a top 4 defender this off season. 

After the Sabres - I root for the Original 6 (aside from Boston) in the cup chase  or the Oilers (loved the Gretzky / Messier era there).

Growing up in Buffalo (even before the Sabres arrived) I loved Hockey Night in Canada on Wednesday and Saturday. Never hated the Leafs like some on here do  (probably from interaction with Leaf fans). Always enjoyed the Leafs teams of Borje Salming, Daryl Sittler, & Lanny McDonald. Bruins were the team I hated as they beat up on us early (will never forget a 7-2, 80 shot on goal drubbing). Really hated all the Boston teams. Pats. Celtics because they always seemed to beat the Braves when it mattered. I was at a great game 4 win (McAdoo was incredible) and a game six loss on a bad foul call that allowed JoJo White to sink two FTs with no time on the clock (sat just behind the stansion at those games - snuck down to sit by the ball boys!). Crushing. (though they had some amazing players to watch in Cowens, Havlicek, White). Also hate the Flyers for obvious reasons (1975). I digress. 

Quite Meh on this final four as I think most of Canada & the US will be.

Montour did almost nothing in Buffalo, and I found his attitude highly suspect.  While the right handed shot is missing in our line-up; I still feel like he didn't play to his utmost ability when we traded value for him almost 5 years ago now.  To be fair, he came in with the straggling abandonment crowd with Ristolainen, Reinhart and Eichel.  So there's that.  I have nothing against Montour or Reinhart, but I'm much more a proponent of Joe Pavelski hoisting the cup.  I like Heiskinen, Hintz, Johnston and Oettinger as well.  Dallas all the way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Carolina is being way too cute with the puck. They’ve had some grade-a chances off the forecheck. Shoot the puck.

Florida is going to score their goals but Bob looks beatable to me. Aho had him beat, hit the post. KK with the unnecessary pass right in the slot alone.  Necas with nobody around him makes a pass. 

Good game. Don’t care that these aren’t “traditional markets.”

• Like (+1) 1