GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

No one stepped up, but the spirit of @deluca67 moved me to create this thread for you.

I won't watch much of it.  There is no team I like in it:

1.  Carolina.  This team started the ZIP code restrictions for ticket purchases, in 2006.  Their fans were *nasty* in 2006 when the only reason the team (which is separate from fans, yes) won was because of injuries.  They accused @Drunkard or someone of eating babies.  No, I cannot root for them.

2.  Dallas, should be obvious, and Hull still won't admit it.

3. Florida.  This is all about the no one wins before the Sabres win thing.  

4.  Vegas.  Same.  For a lot of Sabres fans, it's about Eichel, and I'm not going to rain on that parade.  Rather, for me, it's more about #3, and about the cap circumvention.  

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

No one stepped up, but the spirit of @deluca67 moved me to create this thread for you.

1.  Carolina.  This team started the ZIP code restrictions for ticket purchases, in 2006.  Their fans were *nasty* in 2006 when the only reason the team (which is separate from fans, yes) won was because of injuries.  They accused @Drunkard or someone of eating babies.  No, I cannot root for them.

4.  Vegas.  Same.  For a lot of Sabres fans, it's about Eichel, and I'm not going to rain on that parade.  Rather, for me, it's more about #3, and about the cap circumvention.  

I don't like any of the teams or any of the fan bases.  I don't like seeing teams that have not ever won a Cup get one before the Sabres, that is my number 1 pet peeve.

The least of all four evils to me is Dallas, they already have a cup. They beat us once but that is over now.  I have family there too.  

The 2nd least of all four evils is Carolina.  Similar to Dallas, they already have a cup.  They beat us due to injuries but that is in the past.  My wife has family there too. 

The 3rd least of all four evils is Florida.  I do not want to see them get a Cup before Buffalo.  Miami is not a hockey town and it is a $hitty sports town. 

The most evil is Vegas.  I do not want that team getting a Cup before Buffalo.  I do not like Jack Eichel.  I don't go out of my way to bash him but I just don't care for the guy.   No Vegas please!  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I don't like any of the teams or any of the fan bases.  I don't like seeing teams that have not ever won a Cup get one before the Sabres, that is my number 1 pet peeve.

The least of all four evils to me is Dallas, they already have a cup. They beat us once but that is over now.  I have family there too.  

The 2nd least of all four evils is Carolina.  Similar to Dallas, they already have a cup.  They beat us due to injuries but that is in the past.  My wife has family there too. 

The 3rd least of all four evils is Florida.  I do not wan to see them get a Cup before Buffalo.  Miami is not a hockey town and it is a $hitty sports .  

The most evil is Vegas.  I do not want that team getting a Cup before Buffalo.  I do not like Jack Eichel.  I don't go out of my way to bash him but I just don't care for the guy.   No Vegas please!  

I'd have to agree with what you say with the slight change of Dallas and Carolina are interchangeable.

I'm just happy Toronto is out.  I grew up watching them 2nd only to the Sabres, at times I liked the team, but wow, that fanbase makes them very hard to root for.  Even in defeat they  think they are better than any other fanbase, their team is better than any other team just everyone is out to get them, that every player they have if the decide to trade them should be for NHL stars AND multiple picks...and every free agent wants to play there just because they are the Maple leafs.

The leafs have many qualities for a team I can root for (mostly they are one I did root for earlier in my life), but just reading a few posts on their boards or listening to thier talk radio..and they make it hard for me to do that. I lived in Boston for a few years and I found it alot easier to talk to Bruins fans than I do Leaf fans.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

This feels so unnatural as a long time hockey fan. North Carolina, Florida, Texas and Nevada in the NHL final four? That's just gross. When the Hurricanes are the cold weather team in this group, just doesn't seem right. I really have no interest at all. Just hope Vegas gets knocked out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Looking forward to both series because playoff hockey these days is good hockey and I like to be entertained with good hockey. I'd like to see Florida and Vegas in the finals so I have my good guys and bad guys set.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

but wow, that fanbase makes them very hard to root for.  Even in defeat they  think they are better than any other fanbase, their team is better than any other team just everyone is out to get them, that every player they have if the decide to trade them should be for NHL stars AND multiple picks...and every free agent wants to play there just because they are the Maple leafs.

I used to call it Rangeritis but it is absolutely a disease rooted in Toronto now.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, using your reasoning for #3, the only team of the 4 you can want to not lose would be the team that plays in the land where the Left Turn League rules.  They're the only one of the 4 that has WON a Stanley Cup.  (Though injuries to their opponents got them through at least 3 of the 4 series.  (Not sure anymore if Joisey got hit hard with the injury bug, but the other 3 definitely did.))

If Carolina had Svechnikov they'd be a clear favourite at this point imo but even without him I'd still say they are the likely cup winner. 

Florida Carolina will be crazy exciting as BOTH teams press and forecheck like crazy so ultimately it comes down to turnovers and mistakes. The goaltending could flip it in Florida's favour, but I suspect their D will fold at this point under the forecheck. A taste of their own medicine if you will. They've gone heavily with 4 and after 2 rounds it'll be hard to keep it going. Burns is also looking like a genius pick up by Carolina. 

Dallas and Vegas could be the most boring and low scoring event in NHL history if both are playing shutdown at the same time as they have at various points this playoffs. Pretty even series imo. I'd hope Dallas wins (even if I think it'll be Vegas) cause after all these years maybe Pavelski is a nice feel good story if he can finally get a cup, and of course, **** Eichel. 

If there is a model for building you want to copy here, it is of course Carolina. Like it or not. 

2 hours ago, ... said:

Looking forward to both series because playoff hockey these days is good hockey and I like to be entertained with good hockey. I'd like to see Florida and Vegas in the finals so I have my good guys and bad guys set.

Lots of ex-Sabres if that happens.  Montour has really impressed me.  It’s looks like he has physically matured and now he plays a strong game.  He had a gear we didn’t see.  I wish Granato (and not Krueger) could have had him longer.  He would still be a Sabre and our top 4 defensemen would be controlling games.  Oh well … 

• Like (+1) 1

***** Jack.

***** Sam.

***** anything Texas, including the 3.5hr layover I had in Dallas recently 

And ***** Brind’amor and his butt ugly mug and stupid apostrophe in the middle of his name.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Canadian drought continues so with that established goodness, don’t really care going forward who wins 

Growing up up Buffalo in the pre-Sabre Bisons days I have a different view.  I watched Canadian TV since the 60’s so some early influences were formed.  Buffalo in the pre cable, pre satellite, pre streaming era had a cool thing.  In Buffalo, if you had a good roof top TV antenna, one that was rotary, then you could watch Canadian TV and get 3 more channels, even if sometimes a bit snowy.  So HNIC and Jr Hockey (Hamilton Red Wings) was something I liked to watch at a young age.  I don’t like the Leaves but I have a soft spot for the Habs.  I would like to see a Canadian city (but not Toronto) get a Cup, just not against us.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, using your reasoning for #3, the only team of the 4 you can want to not lose would be the team that plays in the land where the Left Turn League rules.  They're the only one of the 4 that has WON a Stanley Cup.  (Though injuries to their opponents got them through at least 3 of the 4 series.  (Not sure anymore if Joisey got hit hard with the injury bug, but the other 3 definitely did.))

Have you really never watched the 1985 version of Brewster's Millions? 

I'm rooting for Florida over Carolina just because I like the way that team is playing and find them enjoyable to watch. 

Of course Dallas over Vegas. Screw Eichel. I like watching Oettinger in net and Dallas has some interesting players like Heiskanen, Wyatt Johnston, and Robertson. Also, Old Man Pavelski. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

***** Jack.

***** Sam.

***** anything Texas, including the 3.5hr layover I had in Dallas recently 

And ***** Brind’amor and his butt ugly mug and stupid apostrophe in the middle of his name.

Rod da bod 

55 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Growing up up Buffalo in the pre-Sabre Bisons days I have a different view.  I watched Canadian TV since the 60’s so some early influences were formed.  Buffalo in the pre cable, pre satellite, pre streaming era had a cool thing.  In Buffalo, if you had a good roof top TV antenna, one that was rotary, then you could watch Canadian TV and get 3 more channels, even if sometimes a bit snowy.  So HNIC and Jr Hockey (Hamilton Red Wings) was something I liked to watch at a young age.  I don’t like the Leaves but I have a soft spot for the Habs.  I would like to see a Canadian city (but not Toronto) get a Cup, just not against us.  

My Dad raised me to hate the Habs so HOW BOUT NO (dr evil voice)

Florida. Always liked Rhino and I find Florida an enjoyable team to watch. Never liked Eichel the person although as a player I did. Vegas is a blah. My head says Carolina but hope it's Florida.

• Agree 1