Sabres Associate GM Jason Karamanos and Sam Ventura confirmed to have interviewed for Pittsburgh’s GM Position

Brawndo

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I think people aren't giving KA enough credit here. The guy took 3 of the worst hands you could possibly have (Jack injured and demanding out, Sam a year from UFA, Risto a year from UFA after becoming the biggest LOLCOW in the sport) and got an incredible return on all 3 that few people would've thought possible.

It's hard for people to admit they were wrong. When you were so convinced that Adams and Granato were budget yes-men hires, but the results say otherwise, you have to concoct alternate realities to save face.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's hard for people to admit they were wrong. When you were so convinced that Adams and Granato were budget yes-men hires, but the results say otherwise, you have to concoct alternate realities to save face.

Does this explain the board's Eichel discourse, which perfectly mirrored its O'Reilly trajectory years ago?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What results?

You ready to unfurl that banner, Dubya?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

What results?

If that's your yardstick then there's a lot of failure in the NHL.

20 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Promo is always ready to unfurl that banner in the offseason.

Silly me. I pay attention to how the whole team is coming along.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

What results?

Well. PA's satire is quite amusing. Sometimes even informative I think KA at least should be credited some so far. Oh, except he was picked by the "enemy" . So I guess he's no fracking good.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Cozenscousin said:

I would guess that Jason Botterill would be high on their list. His draft picks and trades were actually pretty solid. His choice of a coach was his downfall. He has done well in Seattle.

Josh Yohe who covers the Penguins for The Athletic agrees with you 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Cozenscousin said:

I would guess that Jason Botterill would be high on their list. His draft picks and trades were actually pretty solid. His choice of a coach was his downfall. He has done well in Seattle.

I figured they'd interview Karamanos, but also figure they will look at JBot as well. They still think they can keep it going there and probably will favour someone who Syd already knows. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets a say in the final decision. 

Karamanos sure has some fans here though that's for sure. Personally I'm not convinced he's any sort of brains behind Adams. He might be, but it might also just be speculation based on past reputation. 

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Associate GM Jason Karamanos and Sam Ventura confirmed to have interviewed for Pittsburgh’s GM Position
1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

OTOH the Penguins are a train wreck right now - salary cap issues, no talent in the minors, overpaid veterans, etc. - and they are going to be a train wreck for several years. The GM position isn't as desirable as you may think.

?????

There are only a couple of them open every year and they pay exceptionally well. Noone that wants to be a GM is going to turn down a GM job unless they have another GM offer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

OTOH the Penguins are a train wreck right now - salary cap issues, no talent in the minors, overpaid veterans, etc. - and they are going to be a train wreck for several years. The GM position isn't as desirable as you may think.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

?????

There are only a couple of them open every year and they pay exceptionally well. Noone that wants to be a GM is going to turn down a GM job unless they have another GM offer.

Exactly. Plus, if you're the kind of person that wants to be in charge, you don't turn down the opportunity. If the GM navigates it well, they become a highly-desirable GM down the road for any team with a tough situation. I think the only way someone turns down a GM offer is if the ownership is terrible (I don't think that applies to Pittsburgh).

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman also mentioned that Karamanos may have made the second round of interviews. He cannot confirm Him or Greeley.

Of note, both Karamanos and Ventura still have their primary residences in Pittsburgh 

I wish there was a way to prevent Pittsburgh from poaching our guys

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I wish there was a way to prevent Pittsburgh from poaching our guys

Most teams probably feel that way but there is some satisfaction in knowing your guys are talented and wanted. KA has assembled a good crew.

If one of them is hired I don’t want their new GM to poach more guys. Hopefully they have mentored a few guys to be ready for bigger roles if one of them leaves.

The biggest immediate impact would be the draft.

This article in the Buffalo News is written by Lance Lysowski. It talks about Karmonos and how he has dealt with Rochester. If you can't bring this article up because of the paywall, try using GoogleChrome as your browser. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/q-a-sabres-jason-karmanos-on-how-rochester-amerks-have-won-while-developing-players/article_a0905a30-f31b-11ed-9e31-ab90cdaac98d.html

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That trick only worked once for me; not anymore.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't come up for you. The article dealt with the issue of balancing development for the young players with having the right mix of veterans who set a good example on how to play and prepare. The overriding point was that developing players for the NHL is the priority in the balancing act. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.