IIHF world championships 2023

steveoath

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They should have a preliminary tournament with those 8 countries, split them into two groups and have the top 2 from each group advance to the actual tournament. Stop wasting time. 

They do have such a tournament--or at least used to.  It seems that the gate is wider than it had been.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The emerging nations need regular exposure to this level of competition, not once every 3 or 4 years.

Its about growing the game.

France, Norway, and every other country I mentioned above, have the opportunity to grow the game.  They choose not to, because they prioritize other sports (France, soccer and rugby, and maybe even basketball, for example)  and that's ok.  They have regular tournaments where the winners ascend to the IIHF tournament, and where the losers play to move up the next time.  It's not a question of opportunity.  It is a question of how many.

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That is brutal.

My only other recollection of a player using a skate to try and injure someone was Boris Mikhailov on Gary Bergman in 1972.

Chris Simon?  I think he got suspended for like half a season for it.  Pronger, others...

• Like (+1) 1

Veleno's play was brutal. He needs to be suspended and kicked from the tournament.

Almost as brutal was Quinn's defensive effort on the Hischer goal. That was some Jack Eichel style work in his own end. 

Canada's roster is horrible. Lucic looks absolutely pathetic. I think I can skate faster, and I'm over 60. idk why they bother if this is the best they can throw together. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.