IIHF world championships 2023

steveoath

Both Canada an the US are starting early today. Heading to the 3rd period as I type.

Levi in for Canada who lead 3-1 and, frankly are  battering the Slovenians. Quinn has had some good battles on the wing but no points so far.

Lucic fails to navigate the bench....

USA currently leading Hungary 4-1. Tuch making it 1-1 before Nick Bonino scores twice and Cutter Gauthier adds the 4th.

Edited by steveoath
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just watched the Slovenia Canada replay. Quinn briefly benched for taking a dumb penalty. Hard to judge Levi as Canada pretty much sleep walked through this easy game and he didn't face much. He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad. Probably had trouble staying awake. I suspect he stays the back up for the bigger games unless something happens. 

World round up.

Tuch has 3 goals (0 assists) in 3 games for Team USA. Luke Tuch has a goal in 2 games.

JJP has a goal (0 assists) in 3 games for Germany.

Quinn & Krebs have 0 goals and 1 assist each in 3 games for Canada, but Quinn scored in the SO to secure a win.  Levi has appeared in 2 games with 1 start and allowed 2 goals in the start on 24 shots.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

US won handily; Canada against Kazakhstan shortly.

I mean why do they even bother with some of these smaller countries? They should have to have a certain level of performance to make the tournament. Don't see the point of the 8-1 games or worse.

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean why do they even bother with some of these smaller countries? They should have to have a certain level of performance to make the tournament. Don't see the point of the 8-1 games or worse.

The bottom countries have to play to avoid relegation.  There are different teams at the bottom every year (same goes for Olympics).

• Like (+1) 2

Exactly, so there is a "certain level of performance", but the gap between top countries and bottom is pretty wide.

There are improving countries though. The Swiss and Germans keep getting better and will soon have legitimate competitive teams, especially with the way few top Canadian and American players go over. 

I wouldn't want to have to watch the games in the relegated group (or whatever they call it) though. Maybe get Ted Lasso to coach them and make a TV show, otherwise it must be pretty bad hockey. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly, so there is a "certain level of performance", but the gap between top countries and bottom is pretty wide.

There are improving countries though. The Swiss and Germans keep getting better and will soon have legitimate competitive teams, especially with the way few top Canadian and American players go over. 

I wouldn't want to have to watch the games in the relegated group (or whatever they call it) though. Maybe get Ted Lasso to coach them and make a TV show, otherwise it must be pretty bad hockey. 

They could always call Ralph Krueger...I hear he does wonders 😂

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

22 hours ago, Eleven said:

The bottom countries have to play to avoid relegation.  There are different teams at the bottom every year (same goes for Olympics).

I just noticed how large the tournament field is...16?!  That's too many teams. @matter2003 has a point here. They must play 7 group games before playoffs!  There are MUCH more prestigious tournaments in sports (the World Cup, Olympic hockey, etc.) with much less preliminary action.  If they're doing 16 teams, there should be 4 groups.  Ideally it would be 12 teams (groups of 4) or 10 (groups of 5) with wild cards.  Even the winners of Wimbledon have to play only 7 matches; the NCAA tournament, 6 or 7, etc.

Out of Austria, Denmark, Kazakhstan, Switzerland, Hungary, Latvia, Norway, and France, only 4 should be in this tournament.

Edited by Eleven

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Teds team is promoted and doing well. 

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

I just noticed how large the tournament field is...16?!  That's too many teams. @matter2003 has a point here. They must play 7 group games before playoffs!  There are MUCH more prestigious tournaments in sports (the World Cup, Olympic hockey, etc.) with much less preliminary action.  If they're doing 16 teams, there should be 4 groups.  Ideally it would be 12 teams (groups of 4) or 10 (groups of 5) with wild cards.  Even the winners of Wimbledon have to play only 7 matches; the NCAA tournament, 6 or 7, etc.

Out of Austria, Denmark, Kazakhstan, Switzerland, Hungary, Latvia, Norway, and France, only 4 should be in this tournament.

They should have a preliminary tournament with those 8 countries, split them into two groups and have the top 2 from each group advance to the actual tournament. Stop wasting time. 

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.