Improving the nhl draft lottery

steveoath

As an event, I think the draft lottery is terrible. We don't have to look too far to see that it doesn't discourage tanking.

How could it be solved?

I am a big fan of of the so called "Golden Plan". As soon as you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs you begin to collect points for a separate draft standing "table". Team that finishes with the most points on that table gets 1st OA and the rest of the 1-16 order is determined by the same method.

My 2nd favourite method would be using the same draft odds as we have. make a giant ball pool and fill it with balls that represent each teams odds for 1OA. Then all 16 general managers must dive into the pool to find a ball that has their team name stamped on it in tiny letters. The insert is determined by the order the GMs place their ball on some sort of plinth/podium.

How about eliminate the lottery all together.  Can’t rig something that doesn’t exist.  

If you have to have the lottery then only the bottom 5 teams each with a 20% chance of winning.  Then put in a rule, that you can only win the lottery once every 3 years.  

The truth is winning the lottery guarantees nothing just like winning the President’s trophy.  How long has it taken Edm with the best player and maybe the 5th best player to build a Cup contender? 8 years? The Sabres have two No 1 picks on defense and still allowed 300 goals.  Toronto has Matthews and Tavares and can’t win in the playoffs.  

The teams succeeding in the playoffs can kill penalties, play overall good physical defense and have balanced scoring.  

Right now the Sabres are Toronto 2.0.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

• SDS changed the title to Improving the nhl draft lottery
1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I’m still at a loss to hear any plausible explanation as to why the league would want Chicago to win.

Well it does make a bit more sense than putting the two most elite prospects of the last 40 years in Pittsburgh and Edmonton. 

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about something like for they give away trucks and cars, where all 16 GMs have to touch Connor Bedard. If you lose contact your eliminated.

How about an NHL 23 video game tournament with the bottom 8 teams.  Each GM can designate one signed current NHL player from his roster to represent the team (that player gets an NMC for the season if they participate).  The winning team gets the top overall pick and the 2nd place team gets the 2nd overall pick. 

The winning player gets 100k, split 50k to him and 50k to charity.  The 2nd place player gets 50k to split.  The remaining players get 10k each for charity.  

The setup is the players must play their team with its current roster.  Each match is a best of three.

Just think of the promotion and TV value.  The event could be streamed live on the internet and on TV. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

As an event, I think the draft lottery is terrible. We don't have to look too far to see that it doesn't discourage tanking.

How could it be solved?

I am a big fan of of the so called "Golden Plan". As soon as you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs you begin to collect points for a separate draft standing "table". Team that finishes with the most points on that table gets 1st OA and the rest of the 1-16 order is determined by the same method.

My 2nd favourite method would be using the same draft odds as we have. make a giant ball pool and fill it with balls that represent each teams odds for 1OA. Then all 16 general managers must dive into the pool to find a ball that has their team name stamped on it in tiny letters. The insert is determined by the order the GMs place their ball on some sort of plinth/podium.

Change the GMs to super models in bikinis designated for each team and you've got a ratings bonanza.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m still at a loss to hear any plausible explanation as to why the league would want Chicago to win.

They want the big market teams to do well so they boost tv ratings and ad revenues.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

To have good press and sweep a ugly monster under the rug. 

Yeah, I would argue that predictably it has had the opposite effect.

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

They want the big market teams to do well so they boost tv ratings and ad revenues.

They don’t need stars to draw in traditional hockey markets.

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What they should do, and hear me out, is award the highest pick to the team that finishes last

Then teams would tank harder. 

The lottery is fine its them not doing in front of the world live thats the problem.

Them doing it behind closed doors is  Fishy

Edited by Buffalonill

34 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Then teams would tank harder. 

The lottery is fine its them not doing in front of the world live thats the problem.

Them doing it behind closed doors is  Fishy

Nah. The lottery is an attempt to fix something that wasn’t broken. An exercise in addressing anomalies at the expense of the macro 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They don’t need stars to draw in traditional hockey markets.

They need good teams to draw even in traditional hockey markets. Look at how attendance went down in Buffalo. And the fastest way to improve is with a star player. Of course they then have to surround him with the right teammates.

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You have way to many teams tanking if no lottery was in place 

What are we concerned about? Competitive balance? The integrity of the game? Teams FREQUENTLY prioritize some un-named future before the results of today, ahead of the product they commit to the ice in front of their fans, and the ensuing competition of that day. Kevyn Adams has done this every single year under his Plan. “Tanking” is just the extreme, blatant occurrence of that: so extreme in nature obvious from the fact * we don’t see it very often*.

7 hours ago, steveoath said:

How could it be solved?

Some decent ideas.

Mine would be make the draft lottery the morning before the actual draft, not behind closed doors but on a stage where everyone can see, also make it into a spectacle like the NFL but bigger, whichever city it's in get celebrities from the area who enjoy the NHL to come out. If it's a Canadian city have celebrities like Jim Carey, Keifer Sutherland, Ryan Goessling, The Rock, and have like Justin Beiber come out and sing some tunes. Instead of all the prospects being in the stands have them backstage chilling with each other. Also before the lottery and draft have the trophies being handed out for lady bing, Art Ross etc.

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Nah. The lottery is an attempt to fix something that wasn’t broken. An exercise in addressing anomalies at the expense of the macro 

It was broken.  You can’t have that many teams bringing a ***** product on the ice that frequently when you are trying to grow the game. It hurts the sport overall.

There needs to be a disincentive to tanking.  Maybe the lottery isn’t the right way, but better ideas seem few.

Edited by Weave

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What are we concerned about? Competitive balance? The integrity of the game? Teams FREQUENTLY prioritize some un-named future before the results of today, ahead of the product they commit to the ice in front of their fans, and the ensuing competition of that day. Kevyn Adams has done this every single year under his Plan. “Tanking” is just the extreme, blatant occurrence of that: so extreme in nature obvious from the fact * we don’t see it very often*.

You're saying to completely get rid of the lottery That's just a massive suicide on the league .

There's a difference

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It was uncommon, then a couple of “generational” players showed up on draft boards and we had 2-3 teams racing to the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

It was uncommon, then a couple of “generational” players showed up on draft boards and we had 2-3 teams racing to the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

See the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1983-84.

Proving my point 

Anomalies.

And guess what, the Sabres and Yotes were bad when they tried NOT tanking, too: you can’t legislate poor GMing out of the league. They were going to find their way to the bottom Tank or no Tank. 

That’s why they tanked in the first place! Symptom, not cause. They couldn’t COME UP WITH A BETTER PLAN

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.