Go Amerks!

JohninMinn.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So what forwards do you purge from the current roster?   You need 3 slots to take on 3 rookies and if the rookie is not playing many minutes then he might be better off in Rochester  (Savioe excluded).  

I agree with you that if a young player isn't getting much playing time, then it would be better to hone his skills in the AHL. What I'm not worried about is having too much talent competing for roster spots. Internal competition is a good situation to be in and not a situation to be concerned about. As in every season, there are going to be injuries or players who are struggling. Having reserves (players in the AHL) to fill in is better than losing players in Buffalo without having adequate replacements. When Samuelsson was injured last season, this team struggled. It wasn't so much because he was an indispensable defender as it was the unit lacked enough quality depth to hang on until he returned. 

Answering your question about which players would I purge? I'm not sure what Girgs contract demands are or what Okposo's intentions are? I wouldn't mind keeping both if deals can be worked out that is acceptable to them. If forced to make a choice I would take Girgs over Okposo. On the other hand, Okposo has earned the right to decide whether he wants to play another year or not.  Will Olofsson be on the roster or will he be traded? I don't know. We'll just have to see how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:
  1. Olofsson (move by trade to improve defense)
  2. Okposo (retirement after achieving 1000 games played and 600 points)
  3. Injury.... someone will get hurt during the season requiring a call up, perhaps multiple players

I expect that the opening night roster will have at most one rookie, with several in Rochester ready to make the jump.  If they're not pulling their weight, players like Jost, Olofsson, Girgs and Okie will find themselves pushed out by younger competition.  This is what we've been waiting a long time for.

VO is definitely tradeable, that would be one opening.  --->  Probably  Savioe if he shows enough, otherwise they have to find a place for him to play.  

Okposo needs 16 games and 8 points to hit those milestones.  I don't see him playing a partial season just to reach personal goals, if he plays it will be with the intent of completing a a season and helping the team make the playoffs.  I think Adams will be more lenient with Kyle because of his stature on the team. 

Girgs is TBD.  I think we need a player like him but I could see him leaving because we dont offer enough money.  

Jost and Hinostroza have a fight on their hands to make the 23 man roster, Jost has the edge as the spare forward that plays both C/W. Vinnie will probably leave and go to a rebuilding team that offers more minutes.  

Last year we had two freshman - Samuelsson and Krebs.  Plus three rookies - Power, Quinn, Peterka.  Then we added a 4th in UPL.  That is quite a youth movement.  

This coming season the talk of adding Levi and three more rookies Savoie, Kulich, and maybe Rousek is going to be a challenge if this team is serious about the playoffs.  Add these guys and take away Anderson, VO, Comrie, Kyle/Girgs, and Vinnie and we are actually younger next season than this past season.   

We may be better someday down the road but the lack of experience will be a big hurdle to overcome once we get to Jan/Feb/March and are battling for a playoff spot.  

The year after that there is Rosen and Östlund coming on.  

I guess I am concerned with so much youth to look at.  It is time to start winning.   Certainly a good problem to have but the fear is we stay with homegrown youth and miss another opportunity to be a playoff team.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

This coming season the talk of adding Levi and three more rookies Savoie, Kulich, and maybe Rousek is going to be a challenge if this team is serious about the playoffs.  Add these guys and take away Anderson, VO, Comrie, Kyle/Girgs, and Vinnie and we are actually younger next season than this past season.   

We may be better someday down the road but the lack of experience will be a big hurdle to overcome once we get to Jan/Feb/March and are battling for a playoff spot.  

I share a lot of your thoughts about the forwards, both possible exits and their eventual replacements.  I am confident, though, that Tuch, Cozens, Tage, Dahlin and Power will provide a strong leadership base, and that Skinner and Greenway will further bolster the culture being built.  Krebs, Quinn and JJ will hit their stride, and I think they will all play an increased role, giving rookies a little bit of room with protected minutes.  I know Levi will have his struggles but I expect he will be an upgrade over Anderson, both in terms of performance and number games he can play.  A veteran goalie to pair him with would be nice but I could see... optimistically... where sticking with either UPL or Comrie could work.  I have higher hopes for UPL than Comrie.

But either way, I think the team will be improved on goalie, I think they will acquire another second pair D man, and the forwards will be more talented, albeit greener.  I think the will be next year's Devils, with a strong season but not a deep playoff run.  I think if they can get their with more rookies and fewer Girgs/Okposos, they will be much, much better off in subsequent playoff runs.

I really think the rookies that make the team in the fall will be studs for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So what forwards do you purge from the current roster?   You need 3 slots to take on 3 rookies and if the rookie is not playing many minutes then he might be better off in Rochester  (Savioe excluded).  

Kulich and Rousek  have a shot.

Next years Amerks will be loaded with prospects...not sure if there is a rule if there is a limit but the list is long ....

Why do any open slots have to be filled with prospects?  What is wrong with bringing in playoff experienced vets in the offseason?

Would it kill their development if Savoie, Kulich, Rousek & Rosen(and any other prospects) were not in Buffalo when the season opens?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Why do any open slots have to be filled with prospects?  What is wrong with bringing in playoff experienced vets in the offseason?

Would it kill their development if Savoie, Kulich, Rousek & Rosen(and any other prospects) were not in Buffalo when the season opens?

The one it might hurt is Savoie if the Sabres determine that he is not getting enough out of Juniors.  He can't be in Rochester next season.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Kulich and Rousek  have a shot.

Next years Amerks will be loaded with prospects...not sure if there is a rule if there is a limit but the list is long ....

The limit is on AHL vets.  Teams need to dress at least 12 skaters with fewer than 260 NHL/Euro Elite league (such as SHL/KHL/etc.) prior to the start of the regular season and 1 other player can have up to 319 NHL/Euro Elite games prior to the start of the regular season.  The AHL (unlike the now defunct IHL which died while former Sabres President Doug Moss was running the league) is a development league so they limit how many vets can dress any given night.  An AHL roster can have more vets than that, but effectively only 5 skaters can be true vets and 1 more can have nearly that status on any given game night.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Savioe is still too young for the AHL (yes, silly rule) so he is either with Buffalo, back to Jrs, or in Europe (doubt that happens).   

Nothing wrong with bringing in vets accept they will keep the rookies in Rochester log jam to look at Kulich, Rousek, Rosen, Östlund, and others.   

We have a ton of prospects.  It will really test Adams to determine the right mix.    

Playoffs are a must for the core group (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Power, Tuch, etc.)  they are ready to start winning NOW and the GM has to enable that.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Savioe is still too young for the AHL (yes, silly rule) so he is either with Buffalo, back to Jrs, or in Europe (doubt that happens).   

Nothing wrong with bringing in vets accept they will keep the rookies in Rochester log jam to look at Kulich, Rousek, Rosen, Östlund, and others.   

We have a ton of prospects.  It will really test Adams to determine the right mix.    

Playoffs are a must for the core group (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Power, Tuch, etc.)  they are ready to start winning NOW and the GM has to enable that.  

He's NOT going to Europe.  Before the Sabres can loan him anywhere else, they have to offer him back to Winnipeg.  If Winnipeg won't let him play in Ra-cha-cha, why would they let him go to Sweden, or Czechia, or ...?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He's NOT going to Europe.  Before the Sabres can loan him anywhere else, they have to offer him back to Winnipeg.  If Winnipeg won't let him play in Ra-cha-cha, why would they let him go to Sweden, or Czechia, or ...?

Per the bold, can a CHL team give permission to a player if they wanted to? 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There is a good chance the players you listed won't be starting off in Buffalo, or at least some of them won't. Savoie might get an introductory stint, and then be sent on to one of the World Tournaments. I just don't see Rosen starting the season in Buffalo. He needs to get stronger. The issue with Rousek depends on whether Girgs and/or Okposo remain on the roster. Everything I've heard about Kulich is that based on his current play there is a chance that he can win a roster spot in camp. What's encouraging is that this franchise is developing enough quality depth within the system to adequately fill in when needed. 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Because they are our players in our system. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.