The Sabres Should Be Drafting A Defenseman! (Defensemen)

bob_sauve28

Reinbacher won't be there at 13 (but if he is you take him). If I'm them I'm using the 2nd round to go heavy on D. 

Oliver Bonk with the Philly pick. If gone, Caden Price.

Lindstein or Brzustewicz with our own pick. Willander's ranked a bit lower but I'd be fine with him as well. 

The perfect draft gets us 3 top prospect D men. A good draft gets us 2. 

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

TRADE FOR ONE, THEY DON'T NEED DEFENSEMEN FOR 2028.

Yes, but they need to do both. 

• Like (+1) 5

I have not read too many draft analyses, but in the ones I've read Reinbacher is in the top 13 and likely to be gone by the time the Sabres pick.  Thus, if he were to fall to 13, I think the Sabres would draft him.  I agree that they need defensemen NOW, but they also need a pipeline of young defensemen for the future.  Thus, I think they need to do the following:

1.  Draft Reinbacher at 13 if he's available

2. Whether they draft Reinbacker or not, draft additional defesemen in the later rounds to stock the cupboard with young defensive depth

3. Trade for 2 veteran top-6 defensemen OR acquire 2 via free agency (or 1 and 1)

• Like (+1) 1

I think I prefer Simashev who is pretty variable on the draft boards. There are too many good FA D not to grab at least one without using assets in a trade.

While D makes the most sense and we have to stock the pipeline, I'd be tempted to trade up for Michkov if he falls within range.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure Reinbacher is among the top 13 prospects in this draft.

He’ll be an NHLer, but I think you’re looking at a Marco Scandella-level guy.

And Marco Scandella arguably made Henri Jokiharju look like the best D-man on the entire roster.  Chemistry is sooooo important at D and would love to see Power get a Scandella.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure Reinbacher is among the top 13 prospects in this draft.

He’ll be an NHLer, but I think you’re looking at a Marco Scandella-level guy.

I think we'd be lucky if he's still there at 13. 

The funny thing is there's talk about Colton Parayko being a possible trade target and I've also seen Reinbacher compared to Parayko. Also compared to Ryan McDonagh and Brett Pesce. Scandella is more of his floor imo. 

I'd also go back in time and suggest Toni Lydman for the old Sabres fans around here. 

I see him as a stable and dependable defender with a decent shot. Not flashy, not a huge offensive driver but decent in transition and a solid second pairing guy. 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think we'd be lucky if he's still there at 13. 

The funny thing is there's talk about Colton Parayko being a possible trade target and I've also seen Reinbacher compared to Parayko. Also compared to Ryan McDonagh and Brett Pesce. Scandella is more of his floor imo. 

I'd also go back in time and suggest Toni Lydman for the old Sabres fans around here. 

I see him as a stable and dependable defender with a decent shot. Not flashy, not a huge offensive driver but decent in transition and a solid second pairing guy. 

I wouldnt say lucky — because that may mean we pick him over a better player — but I think he's gone before 13 as well.

I like him and think he's a reasonable pick in the mid-teens. i also think there will be better players available at 13.

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Remember the key here, UFAs have to want to play here, draft picks don't get much choice. Some, but not much. 

And you think among the fairly large number of reasonably good FA defensemen available this year that none of them would want to play for the Sabres? Just because some folks can't let go of their bitterness over twelve years of not making the playoffs, I doubt the rest of the league is looking at the current Sabres roster and thinking they're not an up-and-coming team. I expect we will sign one or (gasp) maybe even two FA defensemen. I even expect them to be a higher caliber than marginal players just looking for a spot at the bottom of a roster.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

And you think among the fairly large number of reasonably good FA defensemen available this year that none of them would want to play for the Sabres? Just because some folks can't let go of their bitterness over twelve years of not making the playoffs, I doubt the rest of the league is looking at the current Sabres roster and thinking they're not an up-and-coming team. I expect we will sign one or (gasp) maybe even two FA defensemen. I even expect them to be a higher caliber than marginal players just looking for a spot at the bottom of a roster.

It's got nothing to do with bitterness over twelve years, but rather the reality of seeing and hearing about 10 team no trade clauses that have the Sabres circled in red (so to speak). Adams has talked about this in vague terms several times. It's a reality. You're not going to find a lot of FAs who will have Buffalo as their first choice landing spot. 

There's not that many good FA D men, and there are 32 teams. 

I'm all for signing some, I definitely want that, but I don't count on it happening and you shouldn't either. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's got nothing to do with bitterness over twelve years, but rather the reality of seeing and hearing about 10 team no trade clauses that have the Sabres circled in red (so to speak). Adams has talked about this in vague terms several times. It's a reality. You're not going to find a lot of FAs who will have Buffalo as their first choice landing spot. 

There's not that many good FA D men, and there are 32 teams. 

I'm all for signing some, I definitely want that, but I don't count on it happening and you shouldn't either. 

Why do you think the Sabres have been circled in red so to speak? If it was because they were a losing culture or terrible team, neither is operative now. Do you think the NHL players are too dumb to figure out when a situation changes? If there is another reason, I cannot fathom it. Some players might prefer a bigger city, but I doubt that is as widespread a phenomenon in the hockey world as in other sports.

Edited by Dr. Who

Any discussion of the Sabres draft needs ultimately comes down to the cap, guys in the pipeline and projected holes in the roster.  You also have to look at who is likely to be available when the Sabres draft.

Right now the Sabres have forwards stockpiled like cord wood.  Many of them are 1st rd picks already forcing their way onto the roster.  Kulich, Savoie and Rousek are the closest to NHL ready and Rosen isn’t far behind. Östlund might also be moving to NA adding another 1st rounder in Rochester.  Add guys in Rochester now or next season like Kisakov, Kozak, Nadeau and Neachev and you have another solid developmental layer.

As to the rest of the pipeline you don’t have much. 

On defense you have a few Russian late round picks in Novikov and Komarov and a mid round CHLer in Lindgren.  Novikov could come over as soon as this season, but the other two will remain in the CHL next season.  Still none of these guys are likely to be top 4 D.  

On goal the only prospect is a 2nd rounder Finnish goalie who looks like a draft mistake so far.  

On the face of it, KA would be wise to add D and goaltending.  However given the depth at forward  in the 1st rd out this draft, expect a Forward with the first pick.  

I wouldn’t mind trading a forward or two for a D if Johnson doesn’t sign.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Any discussion of the Sabres draft needs ultimately comes down to the cap, guys in the pipeline and projected holes in the roster.  You also have to look at who is likely to be available when the Sabres draft.

Right now the Sabres have forwards stockpiled like cord wood.  Many of them are 1st rd picks already forcing their way onto the roster.  Kulich, Savoie and Rousek are the closest to NHL ready and Rosen isn’t far behind. Östlund might also be moving to NA adding another 1st rounder in Rochester.  Add guys in Rochester now or next season like Kisakov, Kozak, Nadeau and Neachev and you have another solid developmental layer.

As to the rest of the pipeline you don’t have much. 

On defense you have a few Russian late round picks in Novikov and Komarov and a mid round CHLer in Lindgren.  Novikov could come over as soon as this season, but the other two will remain in the CHL next season.  Still none of these guys are likely to be top 4 D.  

On goal the only prospect is a 2nd rounder Finnish goalie who looks like a draft mistake so far.  

On the face of it, KA would be wise to add D and goaltending.  However given the depth at forward  in the 1st rd out this draft, expect a Forward with the first pick.  

I wouldn’t mind trading a forward or two for a D if Johnson doesn’t sign.

Agree that the pipeline needs more defense and goalie prospects. 

However I do believe that Novikov would possibly make a very good partner for Power on the second pairing in a few seasons.

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Why do you think the Sabres have been circled in red so to speak? If it was because they were a losing culture or terrible team, neither is operative now. Do you think the NHL players are too dumb to figure out when a situation changes? If there is another reason, I cannot fathom it. Some players might prefer a bigger city, but I doubt that is as widespread a phenomenon in the hockey world as in other sports.

History. Players also know that every time we seem poised to rise we've found a way to fall. Sure, there's tons of optimism here, among fans, but until the team proves it we are a cap floor team with a long history of losing. 

This is part of the reason I felt we should have gone harder at making the playoffs. It flips the narrative and ends the era. 

You really think Gudas will want to come here after he chats with Reinhart and Montour? You think any of these ex Sabres doing well in the playoffs are going to tell their FA team mates "ya, you should sign with Buffalo, great place". 

Why do you think Adams strategy is all youth? It's not hard to see the reality - until we actually change it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

History. Players also know that every time we seem poised to rise we've found a way to fall. Sure, there's tons of optimism here, among fans, but until the team proves it we are a cap floor team with a long history of losing. 

This is part of the reason I felt we should have gone harder at making the playoffs. It flips the narrative and ends the era. 

You really think Gudas will want to come here after he chats with Reinhart and Montour? You think any of these ex Sabres doing well in the playoffs are going to tell their FA team mates "ya, you should sign with Buffalo, great place". 

Why do you think Adams strategy is all youth? It's not hard to see the reality - until we actually change it. 

I kind of think it would be shabby of Reinhart and Montour, but I suppose that is possible. The regime under KA is clearly better and I surmise that gets whispered about, too. I guess we'll see. I will be surprised if they are as limited as you believe, but if they don't sign any higher level free agents I'll begin to wonder if it is process related or the continuing stigma you suggest.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Agree that the pipeline needs more defense and goalie prospects. 

However I do believe that Novikov would possibly make a very good partner for Power on the second pairing in a few seasons.

We need to see if Novikov skates well enough to even be an NHLer. If he does skate well he could very well develop into a shutdown defenseman.  However he completely lacks an offensive tool kit.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need to see if Novikov skates well enough to even be an NHLer. If he does skate well he could very well develop into a shutdown defenseman.  However he completely lacks an offensive tool kit.

Mule is offensively challenged but he plays his role and has been signed as a key player.

27 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Mule is offensively challenged but he plays his role and has been signed as a key player.

Mule is offensively mediocre, but he has a good shot, and like Mike Ramsey, he'll add more O over time.  Don't forget he has only 109 NHL games under his belt.

However, Novikov, playing in the 2nd best league in the world, the KHL, has a total of 9 pts in 94 games.  Yes, he's only 19, but he really is a pure defensive player.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.