Flyers name Keith Jones as President of Hockey Operations & Daniel Briere as General Manager

Doohickie

On 5/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Keith Jones? That's hilarious. All the Philly fans I know have been going on and on about how the problem is an "old boys network" of Flyers alumni towing the party line and here they go with more alumni. 

If we do make the playoffs next year I suspect the Flyers might give our not making the playoffs record a solid run for it's money. 

Philly has only missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. They have a long long long way to go if they want to one up the futility and embarrassment of the Pegula Era.  

On 5/11/2023 at 8:40 PM, JohnC said:

An interesting issue is how does Torts fit in with the new appointees who are now his bosses? What happens when Torts is instructed to play the younger players more? If his response is no because he is trying to win more games, is this front office going to quickly dispatch him? It's my impression that Torts is a strong-willed and stubborn person who doesn't seem amenable to being told what to do. It's going to be interesting to see if this new configuring of the staff meshes with the current coach. 

I think Jones and Torts would be on the same page being dinos, not sure about Briere. But we only really know what torts is; no idea how the other two will look compared to their peers.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Philly has only missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. They have a long long long way to go if they want to one up the futility and embarrassment of the Pegula Era.  

BUT, have you looked at their roster and their salary structure and their relatively empty prospect cupboard? 

I've already heard Jones say 3 separate times it will take a long time to get to where they want. Tortorella ended the season talking about "subtraction before addition". In other words, they haven't even started their rebuild, they are still in the tear down stage. This could take a decade. 

I get skeptical with predictions of teams... Seattle wasn't supposed to be here yet.... Boston was supposed to have fallen off a cliff... Toronto was going to the cup. Etc etc. Jersey was supposed to be better.... But not this much. 

Every season, a team or a few of them come out of the woodwork and just shock you, Philly is "supposed to be" Meh, but I'm not counting on it 100%

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I get skeptical with predictions of teams... Seattle wasn't supposed to be here yet.... Boston was supposed to have fallen off a cliff... Toronto was going to the cup. Etc etc. Jersey was supposed to be better.... But not this much. 

Every season, a team or a few of them come out of the woodwork and just shock you, Philly is "supposed to be" Meh, but I'm not counting on it 100%

That's the fun of sports. It has been absolutely robbed from us.

It's also why the notion of expected 5.675 percent improvement year over year for the Sabres until some magical moment in 2027 when they become a perennial contender is laughable.

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's the fun of sports. It has been absolutely robbed from us.

It's also why the notion of expected 5.675 percent improvement year over year for the Sabres until some magical moment in 2027 when they become a perennial contender is laughable.

The term thrown around here "expected growth" it sounds nice and it "should" happen, but one injury, or a slump and we're back to where we started. It is fun seeing some of these other teams start shining right now 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.