Olivier Nadeau assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

Good for him. He had a good junior career and now it’s time to take the next step.

He could go back to the Q as an overage player but I don’t think he has anymore to learn from that league.

I don’t know if he slots in to the Amerks lineup but he is an interesting addition.

Good size, lives in the front of the opponent’s net. The last time I saw him play I thought his skating needed work so this will be a good spot for him to develop.

Good luck to him and go Amerks!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I agree.  Unless he shows something spectacular in practice, he shouldn't be in the lineup in the playoffs.  That said, there's nothing wrong with him coming in, getting acclimated to the city and the team, and getting in some practices so that he'll be more ready for next season.

A couple of random thoughts:

1.  Isn't it great to see Sabre draft picks actually going to Rochester and working their way up through the system?  While I don't want to over generalize, it seems like in recent years, guys just didn't develop in the organization.  I don't know if that's because the Sabres drafted too many European players who wanted to stay over there, if they drafted guys who wanted to be in Buffalo right away, guys who didn't want to sign and be in the organization at all, or what, but it just seemed like there was a black hole in the development cycle for a few years, and given the former state of the Sabres franchise, it adds up.

2.  By all accounts, Subban is playing very well and the team is successful.  What if they had assigned Levi down there?  Would he have made that much of a difference that the chances of winning the Calder would have significantly increased?  If so, I'm guessing that the Sabres felt that trying to get into the NHL playoffs was the first priority and Levi could help (and he did help, although they fell a little short) and maybe playing for Canada in the World Championships was better for his development.  I'm also guessing that Levi would have been on board if the AHL playoffs was what the organization wanted to do.  He's a competitive kid and seems to be all-in with the organization.  Playing playoff games in a professional league seems like something he'd have been excited to do.  Playing for Canada is also something he surely wanted to do....

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Playing for Canda is also something he surely wanted to do....

This is a given, having played World Junior A Challenge, World Juniors and Olympics.

I wonder if Hockey Canada reached out to him before he signed.
Fantilli is on the team and hasn’t even been drafted yet, similar to Owen Power in his draft year.

41 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

1.  Isn't it great to see Sabre draft picks actually going to Rochester and working their way up through the system?  While I don't want to over generalize, it seems like in recent years, guys just didn't develop in the organization.  I don't know if that's because the Sabres drafted too many European players who wanted to stay over there, if they drafted guys who wanted to be in Buffalo right away, guys who didn't want to sign and be in the organization at all, or what, but it just seemed like there was a black hole in the development cycle for a few years, and given the former state of the Sabres franchise, it adds up.

I figure it's mostly because most of the Sabres picks were early-1st picks that quickly made the NHL, and anyone with any ability that wasn't really ready still ended up in the NHL anyway. 🙂

39 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I figure it's mostly because most of the Sabres picks were early-1st picks that quickly made the NHL, and anyone with any ability that wasn't really ready still ended up in the NHL anyway. 🙂

That is part of it for sure. 

Adams made the decision to really focus on development and make Rochester a development hub. Replacing Taylor with Appert was controversial but it fit with his model and has worked out well. Credit too to Peca and Weber and the development and Skills guys like Mair and Kennedy and so on.

The last Sabres team that was really competitive was the Roy, Vanek, Pommer, Max, Campbell, Miller crew that came up together thru Rochester. Some of that was circumstance because of the lockout but I think that is the model Adams wants to follow. Cycle groups of prospects together through Rochester and up to Buffalo.

It depends when and where players are drafted from. Euro players can come over younger then junior players can join because of eligibility rules and players going to college will be out of the system longer. But I think Rosen’s treatment in Sweden was a catalyst to keep development in house as much as possible where they control on and off ice aspects of the players development.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Never give up on a 20 year old. You just never know. If they can find a role and develop a specific skill set they can find a place to contribute. 

Are you taking the bet?  $25 (I'm poorer now than I used to be) to a charity, etc.; the problem is that we probably can't settle up until about 2036.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Are you taking the bet?  $25 (I'm poorer now than I used to be) to a charity, etc.; the problem is that we probably can't settle up until about 2036.

No, I don't bet anything on sports, too many variables, and if I took it I'd be betting he DOES make it and I'm definitely not sure of that. I just like to hope for these guys to surprise us. 

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Some more reinforcements.

I don’t know what the Östlund situation is but if they have a chance at some point to add Nadeau and Östlund to the lineup that would be big.

Not sure if you're talking about this season still or next, regardless i doubt Nadeau plays unless theres a bunch of injuries. And Östlund isn't here to play, forgot where i read it, probably Lance, they have Östlund here to check out the facilities, meet the team and coaches and sell him on the culture they have.

6 hours ago, pastajoe said:

I don’t think he’ll get into the lineup unless or until there’s an injury or the Amerks lose. Hard to take a player out when they’re winning.

52 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Not sure if you're talking about this season still or next, regardless i doubt Nadeau plays unless theres a bunch of injuries. And Östlund isn't here to play, forgot where i read it, probably Lance, they have Östlund here to check out the facilities, meet the team and coaches and sell him on the culture they have.

I mean they dressed 11 forwards and 7 D last game.  Seems like they could use a forward or two.  Unless Biro or Warren are back for this series.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I mean they dressed 11 forwards and 7 D last game.  Seems like they could use a forward or two.  Unless Biro or Warren are back for this series.

Good point. I didn't realize they were so thin at forward. Biro is out for the season btw.

That would be interesting to see Nadeau get some playing time.

16 hours ago, Two or less said:

Good point. I didn't realize they were so thin at forward. Biro is out for the season btw.

That would be interesting to see Nadeau get some playing time.

The headline writes itself “Nads adds 2 in Amerks debut”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, Eleven said:

I'll bet that he is not a Sabres regular.  Ever.  

Wow, I’m not even that negative.  While you maybe ultimately correct, it won’t be because this kid doesn’t work hard enough. It will mostly likely be because of the forward depth in the organization ahead of him on the food chain.  

I would count him out.  He plays a tough around the net type of game, which we can use. Reminds me of the one we let get away in Hagel.  

I

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.