Gallant and Rangers Part

Courier-Express

Been listening to a few people speaking on podcasts/videos who seem to be of the impression that he doesn't really know how to deal with younger players. Prefers vets. They also say how he is a great tactician.

Given the Rangers' ownership, what awful human will he bring in?

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah 'cause it was his fault the Rags made bad draft decisions, FA signings, and crappy trades.  

Hmm...reminds me of something.

Kinda interesting how Drury has conducted the Rangers in a “business as usual” way.  I would’ve expected better.  In any case, his head is probably next on the chopping block if they don’t have a better season next year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Would gallant be an upgrade (and would he accept) being assistant coach for the Sabres? Could see him being bad cop to HCDGs good cop.

I think Gallant will be offered a HC position somewhere in the next 2 months or less. So IMO, no, he wouldn’t accept an assistant position on any team at this time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Would gallant be an upgrade (and would he accept) being assistant coach for the Sabres? Could see him being bad cop to HCDGs good cop.

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think Gallant will be offered a HC position somewhere in the next 2 months or less. So IMO, no, he wouldn’t accept an assistant position on any team at this time.

If he's available, he certainly could be the "tactics whisperer" I've wanted.

46 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Kinda interesting how Drury has conducted the Rangers in a “business as usual” way.  I would’ve expected better.  In any case, his head is probably next on the chopping block if they don’t have a better season next year.  

They'll have to take it out first.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Call me petty, but I would really appreciate seeing Drury getting his walking papers from his beloved Rangers.

Yes, I’m still bitter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

None of the three 2022 Jack Adams Finalists are still HCs 

Coaches are hired to be fired.  Nearly every single one eventually gets canned.

That said, Gallant will land on his feet somewhere.  He's an excellent coach.  He also pisses his bosses off, so his stay at his next stop will be about 2-3 years.  Which is right about the same time that Granato's seat could be getting hot if the Sabres haven't started being contenders and not just getting into the dance.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

I'm not sure a "bad cop" assistant coach would really work.  If the players have the ear of the HC, anything the assistant could say or do would be a bluff, no?  I could see it work the other way, with the "good cop" assistant soothing players after getting berated by the "bad cop" HC.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Coaches are hired to be fired.  Nearly every single one eventually gets canned.

That said, Gallant will land on his feet somewhere.  He's an excellent coach.  He also pisses his bosses off, so his stay at his next stop will be about 2-3 years.  Which is right about the same time that Granato's seat could be getting hot if the Sabres haven't started being contenders and not just getting into the dance.

How many jobs has Torts had? It seems that there are coaches suited for different stages of development. Some coaches excel working with a young roster while other coaches are more comfortable working with a veteran lineup. There are old school coaches who are less flexible and insist on taking a "my way or the highway" approach. In the cap era with contract considerations that can be a recipe for internal conflict. 

There is no question that Don Granato falls in the spectrum specializing working with young players. The challenge for him is that now that his roster is close to being  filled, how will his approach work? Anyone who listens to him talk about the game and his roster knows that he is very adaptable to individual players and changing circumstances. We are now at the point where it is all about your record. Expectations are now up; now it is all about the record. 

Gallant has a solid track record of success, followed by a depature within a few seasons.  Many other NHL coaches, including multiple Stanley Cup winners, have similar track records.  Paul Maurice, Pierre Laviolette, Torts, Peter DeBoer, Bruce Boudreau, Todd McLellan, and even Lindy Ruff fit this mold.  Of that group, only Laviolette (Carolina) and Torts (Tampa Bay) have won the Cup (I think).  Gallant will likely get another head coaching job and will have a few good seasons with that team.  I don't see Gallant, at this stage of the game, being an assistant coach.

I also don't think that Gallant fits into what Buffalo is doing right now.  Granato is growing and developing as a head coach, just as his players are developing.  Even the GM is fairly new in his role and is developing.  So far, the development is going well and the trajectory is upward.  If it hits a ceiling, then changes will be needed.  While I do think that Grantao could use some different coaches on his staff (special teams and defense, in particular), I don't see Gallant as a fit.  The fans would be calling for Gallant to replace Granato during every losing streak and there could be competition for the players' attention.  Plus, Granato is a more modern coach, who deals well with players and their EQ, which helps him get the most out of them, and seems to work well with younger players.  Gallant is more of an old-school hockey guy and seems to prefer veteran players.  The styles don't mesh.  If Granato's style runs out of steam and the team starts going in the wrong direction, then maybe the old-school hockey guy approach would be needed, but that's not the current need.

I really don’t think we know if Donnie is a “developmental guy” or not. This is his first coaching job and he’s working with the players he has been given. It just so happens that most are very young. So, of course he’s going to be signing the “develop young talent” song at this stage. It remains to be seen what happens when these kids grow up. If he can’t adapt, then we can label him a “developmental guy”. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I really don’t think we know if Donnie is a “developmental guy” or not. This is his first coaching job and he’s working with the players he has been given. It just so happens that most are very young. So, of course he’s going to be signing the “develop young talent” song at this stage. It remains to be seen what happens when these kids grow up. If he can’t adapt, then we can label him a “developmental guy”. 

You may not think DG is good at developing young talent. But don’t say “we” don’t really know if he’s a “development guy”. 

I would bet the majority of fans view him as a coach who is good at developing young talent to get better, and tap into their full potential most of the time. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.