To Kane or not to Kane

JoeSchmoe

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Kane had hip surgery today.  Out 4-6 months.

He might be available around Thanksgiving at a deep discount.

Just sayin’…

Somebody fix the damn gif thingy.  I need to bust some fine gif on nfreeman for bringing this dead horse back.

I'll say this:  IF Kane is out and doesn't sign with a team before December, and IF the Sabres have injuries and need forward help... then MAYBE I'd consider it.  But frankly I'd rather have any of a number of Amerks come up to help the team out than an ageing player whose major attraction is that he's a local product.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'll say this:  IF Kane is out and doesn't sign with a team before December, and IF the Sabres have injuries and need forward help... then MAYBE I'd consider it.  But frankly I'd rather have any of a number of Amerks come up to help the team out than an ageing player whose major attraction is that he's a local product.

I would rather see anyone from Rochester up here than Kane.  JMO.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Somehow become an LTIR roster addition for a team. 

Hey!  Somebody around here actually understands how LTIR additions work!

Yes, this surgery opens up the number of teams that might be interested in him as some cap constrained teams might now be able to pull off adding him if that 6 month out slides to 8 or so.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Somehow become an LTIR roster addition for a team. 

Yes, this surgery opens up the number of teams that might be interested in him as some cap constrained teams might now be able to pull off adding him if that 6 month out slides to 8 or so.

18 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would rather see anyone from Rochester up here than Kane.  JMO.

I fully agree.  I started out with the hypothetical and pretty much talked myself out of it.  Who would the Sabres have to lose to warrant Kane over.... Weissbach or Biro, for instance?  (And they're not even at the top of the list but I'd rather have them than Kane.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I fully agree.  I started out with the hypothetical and pretty much talked myself out of it.  Who would the Sabres have to lose to warrant Kane over.... Weissbach or Biro, for instance?  (And they're not even at the top of the list but I'd rather have them than Kane.)

If Kane is what it takes to keep Biro off the parent club, am all for signing him.  You've just made the first cogent argument to sign him at this point.  (Doubt Biro would make the team minus Kane being here; but if he would be on the team, the team WOULD be better with Kane.)

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Still a hard no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

If Kane is what it takes to keep Biro off the parent club, am all for signing him.  You've just made the first cogent argument to sign him at this point.  (Doubt Biro would make the team minus Kane being here; but if he would be on the team, the team WOULD be better with Kane.)

I don't think we'll ever get down to Biro.

45 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If Kane came back good as old in January and signed a friendly one year deal with Buffalo for a playoff push the fans would be excited.

I don't know, Maybe?  From this forum and some friends/relatives/coworkers that I talk to that is not the Vibe I get.  I find many/most interaction I have where the possibility of Kane in Buffalo is brought up leads to at best an eye roll and at worst a 'no way in hell do I want to see him on this team.'

The thing is this:  Kevyn Adams appreciates the importance of team chemistry.  I just don't see Kane bringing good vibes.  He is the direct opposite of what Kevyn has been building so far.  There may come a time when they have to bring in their stud (like the Stars acquired Hull, the Red Wings got Shanahan), but it would be what puts them over the top in terms of a deep playoff run, not what gets them into the playoffs.  Any player he acquires now has to be with the team at least three seasons, otherwise they're just a fleeting bump in the team's build.  When they're really close, a true Cup contender, then you can bring in that hired gun to fill the hole on the team.

Any team that brings in Kane doesn't know how long they're getting him for.  With his age and general health it may end up being a part of a season.

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When they're really close, a true Cup contender, then you can bring in that hired gun to fill the hole on the team.

This is what happens around trade deadline time. 12-18 teams think that the missing ingredient can be airlifted in and carry them to the Cup. Chemistry is often overlooked as well as the temporary relocation of players and families.

I don’t think the Sabres will need to make a big splash when they are ready to contend. I prefer the Tampa moves like Goodrow and Coleman to add grit, 2way play, PK skill and faceoff ability to add depth.

As you say, plug a hole or two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Somebody fix the damn gif thingy.  I need to bust some fine gif on nfreeman for bringing this dead horse back.

I for one hope it never gets fixed.  There were a fair number of people who overused them, and IMO it made some threads unreadable. 

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If Kane came back good as old in January and signed a friendly one year deal with Buffalo for a playoff push the fans would be excited.

Exactly.  Kane was a 92-point guy the season before last.  He's won Cups, a million playoff games and the Conn Smythe.  His hip failed him and he couldn't skate last year, so he looked lousy.  But if the surgery works and he can skate again -- and if he would sign a one-year contract -- he would be a major addition.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

If he goes on LTIR, he would only be useful in 2 main situations. A team (like the former Sabres) looking to get above the floor. Or, a team that wants to stash him until the playoffs (Kucherov him), anfter which activating him would no longer have salary cap implications. However, a team must be cap compliant on day 1 of the season. So, they would have to sign him after the start of the season, or move other players around prior to the start if they signed him prior to the start of the season. 

5 hours ago, kas23 said:

If he goes on LTIR, he would only be useful in 2 main situations. A team (like the former Sabres) looking to get above the floor. Or, a team that wants to stash him until the playoffs (Kucherov him), anfter which activating him would no longer have salary cap implications. However, a team must be cap compliant on day 1 of the season. So, they would have to sign him after the start of the season, or move other players around prior to the start if they signed him prior to the start of the season. 

That's the way the CBA reads, but the way it is enforced in practice is if the team is cap compliant with the BF-LTIR guy being "off the books" then it is considered good on the opening day of the season.  So, at a later point in the year, IF the team can either dump enough cap or get enough cap to the BF-LTIR they can get that player activated in the regular season.  But yes, it is more likely that he'd end up coming into the lineup after the playoffs begin.

Remember, the team may not get to use the entire cap with the player going onto BF-LTIR if they weren't at the cap prior to putting the player on BF-LTIR.  Their effective cap of the other healthy rostered players will end up being what the team was at prior to the player going onto BF-LTIR.

And putting a player on BF-LTIR to get to the cap floor is counter productive.  That player would simply be on IR.  BF-LTIR doesn't come into play until a team needs to replace that salary and find a way to stay UNDER the cap.  You can have as many players on IR as you happen to have injured and the entire salary of ALL of them not on BF-LTIR counts against the cap.  Boychuk 2 years ago and Bishop last year never were placed on BF-LTIR though they both qualified.

I'd rather have a guy built for the playoffs than Kane, some names like Tyler Bertuzzi, Jordan Staal or Alexander Killorn to name a few or just add someone like Kulich/Savoie etc but I'm not a fan of bringing Kane at his advanced age and looking like a non factor in his playoff push. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.