Sandpaper vs Grit

LabattBlue

An ideal player is one that is a straw that stirs the drink on his line and shows some grit from time to time. With the use of course of different levels of sandpaper depending on the opposition he plays against. oh and of course he has to be above 6’ 3” to even be considered. 😂

I’ve always seen it as

grit - a player’s toughness and ability to take hits and keep going

sandpaper - a player’s proclivity to stir things up on the ice via physical play and/or  stickwork (they grind opponents down)

physicality - usually refers to a player’s willingness to engage in checking other players

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

An ideal player is one that is a straw that stirs the drink on his line and shows some grit from time to time. With the use of course of different levels of sandpaper depending on the opposition he plays against. oh and of course he has to be above 6’ 3” to even be considered. 😂

Cozens is the poster boy for this description.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I’ve always seen it as

grit - a player’s toughness and ability to take hits and keep going

sandpaper - a player’s proclivity to stir things up on the ice via physical play and/or  stickwork (they grind opponents down)

physicality - usually refers to a player’s willingness to engage in checking other players

Oh my.  Wayyyyyyyyy over thinking it.  They are all one in the same. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

Grit is merely a component.
Have you ever had a butt crack full of grit after a day at the beach? 
Irritating. 
Put some sandpaper in that same crack.

Yeowch!

How about a grinding wheel (I love the reference @ddaryl).

Sandblaster as the grit delivery system?

We need grit. We have it various forms.

My question is, how useful is it? How deeply should the grit dig?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I would add that he is the guy that your fan base loves, and every other fanbase you play hates. 

Both words, for me, equal abrasiveness, a style of game that pisses the opponent off.

I just read an article that research has shown even "obvious" words like "penguin" carry different meanings for people.

I don't like sandpaper or grit because they seem to be obvious examples of that. When someone says the Sabres need more grit, do they mean: hitting? fighting? chirping? intimidating? ability to dish it out? to take it?

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Both words, for me, equal abrasiveness, a style of game that pisses the opponent off.

I just read an article that research has shown even "obvious" words like "penguin" carry different meanings for people.

I don't like sandpaper or grit because they seem to be obvious examples of that. When someone says the Sabres need more grit, do they mean: hitting? fighting? chirping? intimidating? ability to dish it out? to take it?

See, I think grit means other things.  No one hated Jay McKee, Chris Drury, or Mike Grier, but the all of them fit any definition of gritty that I can think of.   Pay the price to screen the goalie on the power play.  Stick up for your teammates if someone delivers a cheap shot.  Take a hit to make a play.  Battle for possession along the boards.  Battle for positioning.  Block shots.  Get into passing lanes.  It's doing all the little things that get your hands dirty to win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.