The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: Second Round GDT.

Eleven

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think everyone knows the post-tank rebuild was mishandled. KA came in with a strategy that is largely working so far as I can tell. He could have spent more on FA and obviously it seems it would not have taken much when you miss the playoffs by one point. Since you can't prove a counter-factual, no one can know for sure.

Oh come on, obviously you can't "prove" something that didn't happen would have happened BUT it's pretty obvious that lack of defensive depth and on occasion bad goaltending cost us a good 10-12 points (argue the number if you want but all we needed was 2)

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

And I don't recall many folks telling you it is a myth that FAs wouldn't sign here, though I haven't read through all the threads with close attention. That was a problem.  Folks are telling you it shouldn't be a problem now, which is a different assertion.

Bit of a picky semantic thing here. So your assertion would be that 2 years ago nobody would sign with us, one year ago only a few would and now lots will, is that it? 

The "myth" isn't busted, until it's busted. We will see what happens in July. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I keep being told in other threads that the idea that free agents don't want to come here is a myth so..................given that idea, we could have acquired some of their additions. Or, take Bjorkstrand for example. Columbus had to ditch him for Johnny Hockey cap space. As a cap floor team who did we pick up? 

They tried to win now (and have succeeded) and we chose to develop for the future. 

Remember, this Kraken line up is only about 1/3 of what they got in the expansion draft. The rest were added as free agents, trades and draft picks. 

Of course the two situations are far from identical, but IF we'd added a few key FAs we could have been in the playoffs as well. 

Don't forget a waiver pickup who is playing quite well, my biggest gripe with Adams is not claiming him. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh come on, obviously you can't "prove" something that didn't happen would have happened BUT it's pretty obvious that lack of defensive depth and on occasion bad goaltending cost us a good 10-12 points (argue the number if you want but all we needed was 2)

Bit of a picky semantic thing here. So your assertion would be that 2 years ago nobody would sign with us, one year ago only a few would and now lots will, is that it? 

The "myth" isn't busted, until it's busted. We will see what happens in July. 

I'm not disagreeing with that. All I said was you can't really prove it, though the likelihood is evident.

As to the latter bit, I don't see it as a semantic quibble, but regardless, I do concur that this July should be telling. I've already said in an earlier conversation with you that if there are not, in fact, any significant FA signings, that I would reassess and that it would give credence to your continuing pessimism as to the league wide perception of the team. (I don't see how that is a rational evaluation of the team, but perception is not always rational.)

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, SDS said:

Why are you mad at the NHL? If broadcasters wanted higher visibility, then they would pay for it and the NHL would gladly accept it.

The league was not forced to sign a contract allowing preemption by May baseball and cornhole tournaments but it did.  What about the Canadian broadcasters, too?  And I hardly am the only one placing blame where it is due: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-decisions-leave-fans-scratching-their-heads/

49 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The league was not forced to sign a contract allowing preemption by May baseball and cornhole tournaments but it did.  What about the Canadian broadcasters, too?  And I hardly am the only one placing blame where it is due: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-decisions-leave-fans-scratching-their-heads/

I was watching the Canada station for the first 5 minutes 

Well, so much for my prediction. Surprised Kane had the self control.

Very happy for Eichel; he has played extremely well and it must be satisfying to be in the conference finals.

I also like the playoff story of Aidan Hill. He's been good.

14 minutes ago, Quint said:

My question is how is everyone here going to react when Eichel turns out to be MVP of the Stanley Cup winning team this year?

If he deserves it, then good for him.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Well, so much for my prediction. Surprised Kane had the self control.

Very happy for Eichel; he has played extremely well and it must be satisfying to be in the conference finals.

I also like the playoff story of Aidan Hill. He's been good.

Hill made a couple saves in the third where my jaw literally dropped 

I honestly hope someday we can get a guy who needed a change of scenery to be great. Perhaps we do already with Tuch.....

Eichel's success infuriates me, but I also honestly think the drama and the new scenery made him grow up. You can just see how much more mature he looks game to game; he doesn't mope around or look disinterested every other shift. It effectively makes me unsure how to see him going forward in the playoffs. Essentially I know that he'd of likely never achieved this maturity with Buffalo regardless of if we got better with him or not. Unlike when ROR left for St.L, I genuinely think present Eichel was never in the cards here as he is growing up finally. I think last season finally humbled him and the many vets on the team effectively put him in his place.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly hope someday we can get a guy who needed a change of scenery to be great. Perhaps we do already with Tuch.....

Eichel's success infuriates me, but I also honestly think the drama and the new scenery made him grow up. You can just see how much more mature he looks game to game; he doesn't mope around or look disinterested every other shift. It effectively makes me unsure how to see him going forward in the playoffs. Essentially I know that he'd of likely never achieved this maturity with Buffalo regardless of if we got better with him or not. Unlike when ROR left for St.L, I genuinely think present Eichel was never in the cards here as he is growing up finally. I think last season finally humbled him and the many vets on the team effectively put him in his place.

Still drawing a blank on 19/20, eh? 

he was changing then. He had changed then. The easiest thing is to just admit that season happened. He was still young, that’s usually when the development DOES happen 

waaay improved defensively. Even traditional stats like plus minus back that up. And that was on a not good defensive team. His post game interviews were *significantly* improved that year, which I’ve tried to mention 10s of times. He wasn’t all the way there, but it’s not like he became a new player this year. What we saw was expected upscale relative to supporting cast improvement, coaching included. It’s not like he didn’t further mature this year, but that’s still expected given traditional development curves and the experience of coming of age as an NHLer

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

What a salty tone seeking to downplay his achievements lol 

all of the vets on the team credit him for being central in the room, as does Cassidy. 

- - - 

the sabres and Eichel had a falling out. There doesn’t need to be a bad guy. It’s all I’ve said all along. We can argue back and forth on it still, but I think we can put the “what kind of player is Eichel” to bed after this dominant playoff run so far, 200 ft. THE most important stage. Led team in points in regular season, leads in playoffs. Outplayed McDavid. When the bar from some was “cancer you can’t win with”, I think it’s finished. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm curious to know, as we most are.... How dysfunctional was this organization?! By all accounts, this was an absolute trash place to play for many years. You had GMs that were incapable, factions in the locker room that were split like a high school drama club, coaches that frankly were not up to the task and talent that didn't mesh. All while being in a state with high taxes and cruddy weather for 3/4 of the year. 

Add to that, they wouldn't let Eichel take care of his body the way he wanted to. 

He does look very very good out west, and that sucks for us as we're still on the outside looking in, but it's good for him. 

I'm more annoyed about Mark Stone being allowed to play than I am about Eichel playing like Eichel. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.