The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: Second Round GDT.

Eleven

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Damn, Nurse is a savage!

Rarely does a guy take 7 or 8 solid shots and come back and deliver a dozen of his own.   Glad to see it though.  What AP did was unacceptable, and a response was justified.  The slash was vicious and on a star player that could easily have resulted in ending Leon’s playoffs.  If he doesn’t receive a game I’d be surprised.  

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think I would too, but I don't think the feeling is mutual.

I would not take him back because moving on is important, although he is s very good player.  He would not want to come back either.  

It is unfortunate that the Sabres gave the keys to the kingdom to a few kids that were not ready yet.   

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If Draisaitl was a Sabre, this board would be going nuts over a "lack of response" or some such.

Maybe Nurse was considered the response, but there would be a complete fan meltdown, including predictions of another ten-year drought and the need to wipe the slate clean.

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If Draisaitl was a Sabre, this board would be going nuts over a "lack of response" or some such.

McDavid responded to the nasty Pietrangelo slash on Draisaitl, and he quickly was looking for reinforcements. 

Nurse was the response, he jumped Hague at the end of the game and did a good answering.  Vegas was definitely getting a bit unruly.  

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

McDavid responded to the nasty Pietrangelo slash on Draisaitl, and he quickly was looking for reinforcements. 

Ha - I just watched that segment - was he literally calling his teammates over as he engaged AP? Or was he chirping at someone else on the Knights?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Holy crap - that slash was outrageous.

I see at least 3 similar or worse looking plays every game. If he didn’t start his swing over his head, which most players don’t as to not get caught, nobody would have even noticed.  I don’t think he generated more power with the lengthy swing.  It just looked egregious.  Every body check within 6 ft of the boards is more dangerous.  Every knee on knee hit is more dangerous.  Every spear is more dangerous.  Most cross checks, which are allowed in the playoffs in your own crease, are at least equally as dangerous.  These are the reasons I don’t give NHL officiating one ounce of my brain matter.  

50 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Holy crap - that slash was outrageous.

I thought McDavid's response in the moment was sufficient, especially given who McDavid is.

His response was no more than the response to the Lucic hit on Miller.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I see at least 3 similar or worse looking plays every game. 

Worse looking? Really? I dunno. The optics of that slash are what make it outrageous -- just late, late, late and with a full overhead hard swing.

What you say may be true about each game involving equally or more dangerous plays. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

His response was no more than the response to the Lucic hit on Miller.

Like I said - some of my judgment here is based on who McDavid is. And I think the comparison above fails a bit because Miller was the goalie. Also, looking back at the Lucic-Miller incident, I see that Vanek attempted to do what McDavid did - by hitting Lucic. But Vanek literally bounced off him and landed on the ice. Comical, really. I'm not giving McDavid an "A" (or maybe even a "B") for what he did. Maybe he gets a B/B-, with the grade bumped up by what Nurse did at the end of the game.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I see at least 3 similar or worse looking plays every game. If he didn’t start his swing over his head, which most players don’t as to not get caught, nobody would have even noticed.  I don’t think he generated more power with the lengthy swing.  It just looked egregious.  Every body check within 6 ft of the boards is more dangerous.  Every knee on knee hit is more dangerous.  Every spear is more dangerous.  Most cross checks, which are allowed in the playoffs in your own crease, are at least equally as dangerous.  These are the reasons I don’t give NHL officiating one ounce of my brain matter.  

True that there are a number of egregious plays. But the AP slash on LD occurred like a week after LD relinquished the puck. There may be worse penalties that guys get away with, but I doubt many are as obviously dirty.

AP deserves more than one game for that. Looked like he was out back chopping wood with that swing. Nurse will most likely get a game because he instigated in the last 5 mins. But at least he went after a willing opponent. 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

AP deserves more than one game for that. Looked like he was out back chopping wood with that swing. Nurse will most likely get a game because he instigated in the last 5 mins. But at least he went after a willing opponent. 

We will learn a lot about how the league works (or doesn't) when the NHL announces suspensions.  Nurse is subject to a mandatory-but-waivable (oxymoronic as that is) one-game suspension; Pietrangelo, a former Cup-winning captain who knows better, is not.  Pietrangelo should be out two or three.  Nurse shouldn't be out at all.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nurse got his one game...

I think the Oilers really could’ve had the upper hand if AP gets a suspension. It’s unfortunate that this retaliation evens the score. If you’re concerned about winning the series then this was probably the worst way to do it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.