Frank Servalli’s Summer Tradebait Board

Brawndo

I realize he's left handed, but Samuel Girard would be OK with me. Fits the salary cap, term, and age window quite well. He's #4 in Colorado and would be a great #4 in Buffalo too. 

You have to just chuckle when looking at JT Miller's contract compared to Cozens and Thompson. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheAud said:

I realize he's left handed, but Samuel Girard would be OK with me. Fits the salary cap, term, and age window quite well. He's #4 in Colorado and would be a great #4 in Buffalo too. 

You have to just chuckle when looking at JT Miller's contract compared to Cozens and Thompson. 

I'm not sure what the point is with Miller. He never scored more than 23 goals or had more than 58 points until he went to Vancouver and had 7 years in the league at that point.

So yeah, he is outperforming his contract pretty largely now after a 99 point year followed by an 82 point year, but not even the biggest JT Miller fan would have predicted that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheAud said:

I've heard those contracts referenced when discussing another team having overpaid its top centre (generally in the way of "hey, we have 2 legitimate top-6 centres for a bit more than the price of their 1 overpaid centre").

But I've not yet heard the Cozens/Thompson contracts discussed as obvious overpays. Is that what this is?

If Ross Colton is actually on the block he'd be an interesting guy to look at. We could use a guy like that on our 3rd line. 

Gryzelyk would fit in with the Sabres style and he's somewhat underrated. I'd prefer a bigger more physical guy, but he'd be a huge upgrade from Bryson that's for sure. 

I don't think I'd want to pay the price, but I do wonder what a Karlson-Dahlin top pairing would do to this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure what the point is with Miller. He never scored more than 23 goals or had more than 58 points until he went to Vancouver and had 7 years in the league at that point.

So yeah, he is outperforming his contract pretty largely now after a 99 point year followed by an 82 point year, but not even the biggest JT Miller fan would have predicted that.

I struggle to understand what point increases like this really mean. Scoring has been increasing league wide for a while now. It stands to reason that your top line guys should be seeing an increase over that time. Yeah, this is a big jump here, but is that 82 point guy more of what JT Miller is in today’s game?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/multiple-flames-players-reportedly-will-leave-if-darryl-sutter-returns/ar-AA1aqVMe?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a263a10e5a7847ab935f3cf61d5f3d99&ei=6

Apparently ownership doesn’t want to fire Sutter so it will be an interesting summer in Calgary. New GM might have to make a lot of moves there.

Edited by Flashsabre

38 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/multiple-flames-players-reportedly-will-leave-if-darryl-sutter-returns/ar-AA1aqVMe?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a263a10e5a7847ab935f3cf61d5f3d99&ei=6

Apparently ownership doesn’t want to fire Sutter so it will be an interesting summer in Calgary. New GM might have to make a lot of moves there.

quitters gonna quit. 

18 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

It many people have influence in Alberta like the Sutter family. Ownership is handcuffing the new GM if he has to keep Sutter. He will have to build a team of Sutter guys.

They mention Toffoli was excellent, he played for Sutter in LA.

If the current team is brought back, Sutter will not change his ways to accommodate certain players.

KA could pick up a bargain or two. Hanifin, Anderson, Vladar.

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

It many people have influence in Alberta like the Sutter family. Ownership is handcuffing the new GM if he has to keep Sutter. He will have to build a team of Sutter guys.

They mention Toffoli was excellent, he played for Sutter in LA.

If the current team is brought back, Sutter will not change his ways to accommodate certain players.

KA could pick up a bargain or two. Hanifin, Anderson, Vladar.

Zadorov

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I listened to the entire podcast.

KA doesn’t change his message. Patience, draft, develop, identify the core that wants to be here and lock them up.

I keep feeling he is happy with the goaltending and he will come back in October with Comrie, UPL and Levi. He says Comrie had some bad breaks and didn’t get a fair shake. UPL is getting better and came in to save the season when Comrie went down. Levi is really good and ahead of the curve.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, matter2003 said:

On 4/27/2023 at 1:03 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I've heard those contracts referenced when discussing another team having overpaid its top centre (generally in the way of "hey, we have 2 legitimate top-6 centres for a bit more than the price of their 1 overpaid centre").

But I've not yet heard the Cozens/Thompson contracts discussed as obvious overpays. Is that what this is?

Sorry if my comment was unclear.

Miller has had two very good years in his age 29 and 30 seasons, but prior to that did not have a career that screamed "$8M/year center". So when I think about 7 more years of JT Miller at 8M/year, for his age 31-37 year old seasons, I could see the final 2-3 seasons not being very good deals for the Canucks, and making him very difficult to unload if desired. 

Tage Thompson is signed over the same 7 years but at $860k less per season, and those will be his age 26-32 year old seasons. Thompson is already a more explosive goal scorer and almost as accomplished playmaker as Miller. 

Dylan Cozens is signed for those same 7 years, at $900k/year less than Miller, and those will be his age 23-29 year old seasons. His breakout season at age 22 with two rookies on his wing is almost as good as Miller's likely career best seasons at age 29 & 30. 

So...to the extent Miller has a reasonable NHL contract for a player of his caliber and age, the comparison with Thompson and Cozens makes clear what outrageously good contracts those are for the Sabres. Hence, as a Sabres fan, I can only chuckle in delight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

6’6 heavy player, who can skate 
 Dman who’s has been very good for the Flames and matured both off and on the ice 

1 year left on his deal and could be had for a 2nd round pick and 2nd tier prospect 

seems Iike a good idea for our bottom pair IMHO

This doesn’t interest me.  I’d rather have at least three years of term if we trade.  Parayko term is too long.  Need to find something in between.  He is a hit machine, but also takes 30 + minor penalties a year.    If he’s the compliment to Joki on the bottom pair, maybe.  But didn’t he bad mouth Buffalo on the way out?  Does that fit with Adams plan?  

11 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

This doesn’t interest me.  I’d rather have at least three years of term if we trade.  Parayko term is too long.  Need to find something in between.  He is a hit machine, but also takes 30 + minor penalties a year.    If he’s the compliment to Joki on the bottom pair, maybe.  But didn’t he bad mouth Buffalo on the way out?  Does that fit with Adams plan?  

He loved the city of Buffalo as per his spitting’ chiclets interview from about a year ago 

it’s unlikely to happen , so really no need to debate but when you play a violent brand of hockey, you are likely to get some penalties. 
that being said, go to any flames message board , listen to any flames podcast and he is a fan favourite for a reason.  
anyone who says he hasn’t been good on the flames (zamboni) hasn’t been paying attention 

32 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Marty and Duffer both keyed Even Bouchard as a trade target with him being an RFA and the oilers not able to pay him what he would be worth 

would be a huge move if completed 

That would be something. He is not a defensive stalwart though. More of a 2 way guy who leans offence.

Joker and a swap of 1sts. UPL maybe with another piece coming back.

edit: Edmonton is up against the cap but I just can’t see them giving up Bouchard. He is vital to them. They will try to move out other contracts first but who knows maybe they are stuck.

He would be the perfect target. 6’3, RHD, 23 years old, bomb of a shot. From Oakville. Him and Power would be a fantastic 2nd pair.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Oilers with a projected $3.7 million in cap space for the 23/24 season

they are going to have to clear out a few of contracts if they want to pay Bouchard 

They could make some room if they traded McDavid...

💀

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.