Berglund Shading TNT

ndirish1978

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It is sad but he was probably one of many that had Buffalo on the "never want to go there list".   I think that list is still pretty big even today.  So Adams needs to be careful who he adds. 

So now he openly talks about how stupid he was with regards to understanding his contract and the NTC.  The Blues were genius in getting rid of this dopey guy.  They dumped a bad contract and made room for their young forwards.  I never thought they would win a Cup that year but everything came together:  ROR's chemistry with a loaded vet team, a hot goalie, removal of deadweight (Berglund and Sobotka), and insertion of younger and tougher forwards in their place.  

He had about a 100 texts and no phone calls from either team.  That tells you something.  

And the Sabres were like: "Berglund? Sobotka? I've heard of them. We'll take 'em."

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

The interview was…eye-opening?

You get glimpses of it listening to Andrew Peters, but as @PASabreFan says this is how (a lot?) of these guys really are: dude bros with a poorly nuanced, entitled athlete’s perspective on their profession and life.

Next time you read so-and-so is a “good guy, beloved in the room” remember this interview and think about how that is also how Berglund is regarded in St. Louis. Your version of “good guy” and a 24-year-old hockey player’s are probably not aligned.

Berglund in St Louis - The players have been very tight knit there for a long time.  He seemed to be ok with the players but he was not a serious player or a leader, his role was that odd guy that sometimes played with the skill fitting of his #1 draft position. 

Fans did not embrace him or his inconsistent game.  He took nights off.  

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Berglund in St Louis - The players have been very tight knit there for a long time.  He seemed to be ok with the players but he was not a serious player or a leader, his role was that odd guy that sometimes played with the skill fitting of his #1 draft position. 

Fans did not embrace him or his inconsistent game.  He took nights off.  

Dont forget he sent pictures of his Pickle to random girl fans on Instagram 

a true gentleman

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, MattPie said:

I kinda what to know, he couldn't score but I could watch him (and Afinogenov) skate past D all day.

“Brother the Zinger went sailing through!” What a fantastic call from the Legend.

Crazy because in this clip, Holzinger looks fast even by today’s standards: compared to your average 90’s clip this is blistering 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, inkman said:

I mean maybe but my lasting memory of him was constantly getting breakaways and not scoring on them…ever. 

Agree, I’d actually guess the opposite: the thing that helped set him apart back then is much more a commonplace requirement today, skaters are way faster to a man 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/28/2023 at 6:55 PM, Thorny said:

“Brother the Zinger went sailing through!” What a fantastic call from the Legend.

Crazy because in this clip, Holzinger looks fast even by today’s standards: compared to your average 90’s clip this is blistering 

Agree, I’d actually guess the opposite: the thing that helped set him apart back then is much more a commonplace requirement today, skaters are way faster to a man 

It is kinda funny - all the youtube channels rave about MacKinnon, McDavid, and others and how they use their crossovers to generate such speed ... watching that clip Holzinger probably takes ... 2 forward strides from his own blue line all the way to the opposing goal - the rest were crossovers to generate that McDavid-like speed. 

Been a hockey fan for 40+ years, but never really paid much attention to things like mechanics until 7 or 8 years ago when I started playing as an adult - I'd be curious if anyone with far better "how-to" knowledge than me remembers when this really caught on? First page of results on google reveal nothing on the history (so it must not be on the internet) and a few old grainy youtubes of Gretzky did not make it overly clear if he used them.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

It is kinda funny - all the youtube channels rave about MacKinnon, McDavid, and others and how they use their crossovers to generate such speed ... watching that clip Holzinger probably takes ... 2 forward strides from his own blue line all the way to the opposing goal - the rest were crossovers to generate that McDavid-like speed. 

Been a hockey fan for 40+ years, but never really paid much attention to things like mechanics until 7 or 8 years ago when I started playing as an adult - I'd be curious if anyone with far better "how-to" knowledge than me remembers when this really caught on? First page of results on google reveal nothing on the history (so it must not be on the internet) and a few old grainy youtubes of Gretzky did not make it overly clear if he used them.

I’m not an expert but I think it is a more recent trend and will become even more popular with McJesus leading the flock.

Gretzky wasn’t known for his skating and didn’t use the cross overs much. Many of his breakaways were due to cheating in the defensive zone and his IQ putting him in the right positions.

McDavid crosses over to beat guys wide and then cut to the net which Gretzky never did. Gretzky didn’t go to net net much on the rush, he slowed the play down to let guys join and then dish off to the best option.

17 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’m not an expert but I think it is a more recent trend and will become even more popular with McJesus leading the flock.

Gretzky wasn’t known for his skating and didn’t use the cross overs much. Many of his breakaways were due to cheating in the defensive zone and his IQ putting him in the right positions.

McDavid crosses over to beat guys wide and then cut to the net which Gretzky never did. Gretzky didn’t go to net net much on the rush, he slowed the play down to let guys join and then dish off to the best option.

This is sorta what I thought, but I never thought of Holzinger as a skating innovator, so I was curious what others thought. Thanks!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.