Berglund Shading TNT

ndirish1978

45 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Every statement I make judging the quality of a player will be implicitly comparing them to average NHL players. He was garbage relative to that standard, that's all I mean. And he was, he couldn't do anything

I remember this lol

You're not wrong i was thinking maybe he will be a ok 4th line player 

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No one thought he be this good probably a 20g guy but he had 18 in 145 games.

If you think this normal to give this much time and games please give me another player that this happened too.

The average age of an NHL rookie is between 22 and 23 three years old. There are plenty of rookies that have performed the same and given the same leash. I'm not going to list them because your mind is made up and don't care to change it. I am very grateful that you are not responsible for the Sabres roster.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The average age of an NHL rookie is between 22 and 23 three years old. There are plenty of rookies that have performed the same and given the same leash. I'm not going to list them because your mind is made up and don't care to change it. I am very grateful that you are not responsible for the Sabres roster.

Give me an example of a player that had 18g in 145 games and had a successful career.

He beat the odds you cant lie 

Edited by Buffalonill

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Give me an example of a player that had 18g in 145 and had a successful career.

Who GAF? What are we talking about here?

I could see he had skill. Granato could see he had skill. Adams could see he had skill. He was never garbage.

And odds tell you how often they are wrong.

And I'm not going to do your homework for you.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Who GAF? What are we talking about here?

I could see he had skill. Granato could see he had skill. Adams could see he had skill. He was never garbage.

And odds tell you how often they are wrong.

And I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Thats beacuse there isn't one player like him . Its ok to say you thought he sucked you'd be with 99% of the buffalo Fanbase 

40 minutes ago, SwampD said:

No. It's about timing. That's on you for have ridiculous expectations for a 22 year old on a crappy team. If you are even thinking the term bust about a guy in his early 20s, then you are just an uneducated hockey fan, or just being a dick.

Or describing what you see on the ice for a team trying and failing to win

It is not a statement on the future potential of the player 

I could use different words but they would have conveyed the same point 

His film was terrible, any measurable or computable statistics was terrible, and his first 150 games saw his shooting talent amass a worse shooting percentage than players such as Johan Larsson. If we don't like the word garbage I'll say terrible instead. Every player is a terrible nhl player at some point in their development. His game was awful. Now he's elite. This isn't hard

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Thats beacuse there isn't one player like him . Its ok to say you thought he sucked you'd be with 99% of the buffalo Fanbase 

I never thought he sucked because I'm not an over-reactive immature fan.

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

His film was terrible, any measurable or computable statistics was terrible, and his first 150 games saw his shooting talent amass a worse shooting percentage than players such as Johan Larsson. If we don't like the word garbage I'll say terrible instead. Every player is a terrible nhl player at some point in their development. His game was awful. Now he's elite. This isn't hard

Ya know what, you are right. He ***** sucked. Now he's great. Thank god they let a kid develop. Glad they determined he wasn't a bust like you and Buffanill.

I miss the days of all those stretch pass dissertations. The only difference between now and then is they they often end up in the net now.

I think what I’ve read from all of these posts are true. 
1) Tage was an arrogant first round pick who was successful at every level prior to the NHL when he showed up to St. Louis. 
2) Tage was humbled to the point of nearly washing out his career. 
3) Tage’s meteoric jump was unfathomable based on his first 145 games. 
4) Berglund is a D Bag.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Give me an example of a player that had 18g in 145 games and had a successful career.

• Marcus Foligno had 18 in his first 135
  • Derek Roy 27 in his first 119
  • Tim Connolly had 24 in his first 163
  • Danny Briere had 21 in his first 112
  • And the career has yet to be confirmed, but Casey Mittelstadt had 17 in 113 games and 27 in 154

These are just some relatively recent Sabres.

Looking at the leading scorers this year:

• Jack Hughes 18 goals in 117 games
  • Mika Zibanejad 23 in 111
  • JT Miller 15 in 114

Tage is a unicorn, but plenty of people break out after slower starts and it's a proven mistake to be passing judgement on players before 200 games played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:
  • And the career has yet to be confirmed, but Casey Mittelstadt had 17 in 113 games and 27 in 154

• JT Miller 15 in 114

Tage is a unicorn, but plenty of people break out after slower starts and it's a proven mistake to be passing judgement on players before 200 games played.

FB_IMG_1676642027732.jpg.e1da718341b7726916bf4fdca259b57e.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Late last season (I think) I saw a podcast with a goalie that TnT played against in the AHL.  Claimed that players on his team wanted to be on the ice against TnT.

Whatever.  He’s obviously not the same guy he was then.  It’s irrelevant.

Players wanted to be on the ice against the young guy just breaking into the league?  That's not exactly a shocker.  I love this "hey, I used to be better than that guy, so I must be a big deal" phenomenon that always pops up after someone surprises.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

• JT Miller 15 in 114

The Daily Show Boom GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

• JT Miller 15 in 114

Derek Roy had 48g -  128 points in 194 to TNT 145- 18g - 35 points 

Marcus Foligno is not in the same category as tage .

How tim connolly is an example when he had a total of 18 goals max in a season for his 11 years in the league is weird. ( he also had  75pts in 163 games and TNT 35 points in 145gp 

Hughes 166gp - 44g -108 points  to TNT 35 points 

Mika Zibanejad 160gp-100pts to TNT 35 points 

Danny Briere might be a good example but he didn't transform into a top 5 player in nhl

Edited by Buffalonill

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Damn. You guys haven't been this mad since Danny Briere's name was sullied.

It ridiculous when they dig someone out of the dustbin of history just for the sake of doing it. It's moreso when that person throws shade on people rather than just enjoying being out of the dustbin for 4 minutes.

• Agree 1

@Randall Flagg and others,

Look at Tage's early career.  Started in 2017-18,  at 20 years old, on a tough veteran Blues lineup that he could not crack at that age.  He played 47 games with a very limited role and sheltered, splitting time in the AHL.  From all accounts the Blues were very high on him, and they also had Thomas and Kyrou in the system.  

Next season (18-19) he played 65 games for Buffalo.  Nothing about his game indicated he should be playing 3rd line in the NHL yet.  The Sabre played him to justify the ROR trade, he should have been in the AHL.  He went down later in the season and he looked good there. 

He was looking really good in the next offseason (19-20).  Reports were out that he got a lot stronger and worked hard on his shot.  His reputation as a hard worker started in that off season.   He unfortunately played one game and was hurt and done for the season, when he game back from injury he played in Rochester again. 

The next season (19-20) was the Covid season combined with playing for Ralph in his abysmal hockey/soccer system.   He looked good late in the season, once Granato took over - you could see it happening for him.  

Summing this up as 18 goals in 145 games is true, but not the whole story.   He took awhile to develop but look at the chaotic way that Buffalo handled him, the injury, Covid, and 3 head coaches between 2018 and 2020. 

Every player develops at a different pace and some have a few bumps along the way while others are fortunate to be drafted into a better situation, stay healthy, and are handled better.  

Thankfully for Buffalo, Tage fits the hard working and determined prototype, and he had a connection with Granato.  Otherwise he would be scoring 45+ goals for another team right now.  

• Agree 1

So I listened. He was there and thought Tage was arrogant. It adds a bit of color to the Thompson story. I see no reason Berglund would make up an opinion all this time later. What you're all missing is the praise... PB said he wishes he had had Tage's confidence and he was flabbergasted at the season he just had.

Continue with the whipping boy hysteria tho.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So I listened. He was there and thought Tage was arrogant. It adds a bit of color to the Thompson story. I see no reason Berglund would make up an opinion all this time later. What you're all missing is the praise... PB said he wishes he had had Tage's confidence and he was flabbergasted at the season he just had.

Why even defend the guy hes a  Rapist ,  beats women . 

He shouldn't even be mentioned  To give him headlines but here we're

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Was Tage arrogant or confident?  It is often a fine line.   No one makes the NHL without a good dose of it.  

Berglund sounded like a raving lunatic.  That was not praise either.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Why even defend the guy hes a  Rapist ,  beats women . 

He shouldn't even be mentioned  To give him headlines but here we're

He is taking another point of view.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.