We are lucky for the Buffalo News to have a beat writer and columnist covering the Sabres full-time

\GoBillsInDallas/

On 4/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, Pimlach said:

Hey, I was a paperboy!  Thems fighting words. 

Hey, Pimlach… Remember putting the ad inserts in the paper at your neighborhood distributor’s garage… before putting 30+ papers in each shoulder bag… crisscrossing your chest… and the bags balanced… banging on your hips… as you walked to your route… and started down the street and up each driveway… Putting the paper behind the storm door?… Then collecting every Weds night… “Can you come back on Friday?”… Taught me my first lessons in work discipline, work ethic, and people skills… Invaluable…

Thanks for the memory!

Edited by Believer

5 minutes ago, Believer said:

Hey, Pimlach… Remember putting the ad inserts in the paper at your neighborhood distributor’s garage… before putting 30+ papers in each shoulder bag… crisscrossing your chest… and the bags balanced… banging on your hips… as you walked to your route… and started down the street and up each driveway… Putting the paper behind the storm door?… Then collecting every Weds night… “Can you come back on Friday?”… Taught me my first lessons in work discipline, work ethic, and people skills… Invaluable…

Thanks for the memory!

Yes.   Loved it .  

The darn inserts were extra work and weight.  

We literally ran a business.  Pick up papers, deliver, collect, pay paper bill, keep profits.  

I put my wagon at the half way point and used bags to loop around one half and then work back to the wagon.  Then reload for the second half and loop back to the wagon.  Then go home and eat dinner like it was my last meal.  

Collecting could be frustrating with people stringing you out.  Remember the free calendars that you gave out at Christmas?   I got some really nice tips because of those calendars.  I learned to never passed out calendars on a normal collection day.   Do it separately and you get more tips. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.