We are lucky for the Buffalo News to have a beat writer and columnist covering the Sabres full-time

\GoBillsInDallas/

Taking everything into consideration, I guess its better if the local media has reporters following the team around, but if they didn't, it really wouldn't bother me.

Locker room interviews after the game dont' really bring much information, not much more than we can already get by watching what is broadcast online.  And for me, I 'follow' the team mostly through this message board and 'twitter', occasionally listening to talk radio and actually watching the game.  Basically, that is 99% of what I need for myself.

If a source of info about the team goes away or a source of 'quotes' disappears, I guess I don't even think of it and just get info form someplace else or just focus on the info that IS available.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Paul Hamilton follows them with WGR 550...we would still have one even if the newspaper didn't have one.

I'm not sure if the hierarchy but I think Paul works for ch.4 and moonlights with WGR. He was let go by Audacy as a full time reporter a year or two ago. 

The weird thing about sports journalism these days are the citizen bloggers filling the void that the mainstream media left behind with its staff and budget cuts. Some of them are good, others not so much.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The Buffalo News is a sports section attached to one column of local news and three columns of syndicated crap.  I am embarrassed that my first job was with TBN.

You're embarrassed but do you understand what is happening to papers like the Buffalo News nationwide?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

29 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Taking everything into consideration, I guess its better if the local media has reporters following the team around, but if they didn't, it really wouldn't bother me.

Locker room interviews after the game dont' really bring much information, not much more than we can already get by watching what is broadcast online.  And for me, I 'follow' the team mostly through this message board and 'twitter', occasionally listening to talk radio and actually watching the game.  Basically, that is 99% of what I need for myself.

If a source of info about the team goes away or a source of 'quotes' disappears, I guess I don't even think of it and just get info form someplace else or just focus on the info that IS available.

Most player and coach quotes are useless. But a good reporter builds relationships with them so that they can get some gold nuggets. What I really want from a hockey reporter is an unbiased but knowledgeable eye telling me what's happening. That's rare.

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not sure if the hierarchy but I think Paul works for ch.4 and moonlights with WGR. He was let go by Audacy as a full time reporter a year or two ago. 

The weird thing about sports journalism these days are the citizen bloggers filling the void that the mainstream media left behind with its staff and budget cuts. Some of them are good, others not so much.

You're embarrassed but do you understand what is happening to papers like the Buffalo News nationwide?

Hmm...he is listed on Audacy.com and on WGR 550 and lists his employer as WGR 550. He has also been travelling with the team again except for West Coast trips. If he is being paid by WIVB it seems a little strange...

His articles on games are on WGR 550's website, he talks in the pregame, intermissions and post game on WGR and he has regular spots during the week on WGR. WGR is the official Sabres radio station.

That is a lot of time and content for Audacy if he wasn't working for them directly.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Hmm...he is listed on Audacy.com and on WGR 550 and lists his employer as WGR 550. He has also been travelling with the team again except for West Coast trips. If he is being paid by WIVB it seems a little strange...

His articles on games are on WGR 550's website, he talks in the pregame, intermissions and post game on WGR and he has regular spots during the week on WGR. WGR is the official Sabres radio station.

That is a lot of time and content for Audacy if he wasn't working for them directly.

Oh I think he gets paid by Audacy. I don't think he's a full time employee anymore.

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No, Promo, I had no idea.  (I mean, how condescending can you get?!)

Sorry if I took your comment the wrong way, like the Buffalo News is the way it is by choice. (I guess it is a choice..the choice of their new crappy owners.) My wife worked for newspapers for years as an editor (and me as a freelance stringer for 3 years) and the combination of bad owners, plus the reality that no one reads papers anymore, even the emergence of Craiglist destroying the want ads pages (a real cash cow) all contributed to this sorry state.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry if I took your comment the wrong way, like the Buffalo News is the way it is by choice. (I guess it is a choice..the choice of their new crappy owners.) My wife worked for newspapers for years as an editor (and me as a freelance stringer for 3 years) and the combination of bad owners, plus the reality that no one reads papers anymore, even the emergence of Craiglist destroying the want ads pages (a real cash cow) all contributed to this sorry state.

Fair enough.  And I do put much of the current situation on Lee Enterprises, but Margaret Sullivan's tenure--well before Buffett sold the paper--was probably the beginning of the end.  She was a disaster.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh I think he gets paid by Audacy. I don't think he's a full time employee anymore.

Ah gotcha...

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They moved print operations to Cleveland 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

The Buffalo News is a sports section attached to one column of local news and three columns of syndicated crap.  I am embarrassed that my first job was with TBN.

Hey, I was a paperboy!  Thems fighting words. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

I bet you weren't a paperboy for TBN.  I'm guessing it was the Buffalo Evening News back then.

I was a paperboy for the Buffalo Courier-Express.  Now thems fighting words!  😜

It was TBN when I carried it.

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

I bet you weren't a paperboy for TBN.  I'm guessing it was the Buffalo Evening News back then.

I was a paperboy for the Buffalo Courier-Express.  Now thems fighting words!  😜

Yes indeed.  It was the Buffalo Evening News.  The Courier was the morning paper (and Sunday).   The days of two newspapers and only one hour of TV news - better days.  Now many cities today can barely support one paper.  

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It was TBN when I carried it.

I think the Courier died in 1982, and the Buffalo Evening News became The Buffalo News.   You are still a kid 11.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes indeed.  It was the Buffalo Evening News.  The Courier was the morning paper (and Sunday).   The days of two newspapers and only one hour of TV news - better days.  Now many cities today can barely support one paper.  

I think the Courier died in 1982, and the Buffalo Evening News became The Buffalo News.   You are still a kid 11.  

Glad to hear someone thinks so!

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yep.  September 1982.  

Back in the day the local newspaper reporter was important because newspapers had box scores and stories. Remember back in the day 20 Buffalo Sabres games were on television. 15 Buffalo Braves games were shown in the last season 1977-78 on WIVB television 4. No wonder they failed if you aren’t on television in some way your done as a franchise.

So if you didn’t have Buffalo Sabres season tickets you were listening to radio WGR 550 which I did listened on radio to Ted Darling that called all the Sabres games along with Pat Hannigan. With the 4th period post game call in show with Stan Roberts after the game. The Buffalo Braves Van Miller on WBEN 930 radio called the games with pregame show of Braves Pow Wow. Van Miller did the whole Braves games himself like Vince Scully of the Los Angeles Dodgers even reading some of the advertisements. No one is trained like that anymore in broadcasting school. I remember when the Buffalo Bills were on WWKB 1520 with Al Melzer and Rick Azar that is how far I go back I am old.

Rick Jeanneret only called the Buffalo Sabres radio games when Ted Darling was on WWKB television 7 than the Buffalo Sabres moved to WGR television 2. Then cable came into Western New York and you got 40 Sabres games half the schedule than radio. All 150 Buffalo Bisons games are on MLB television streaming today I don’t need a newspaper reporter or the radio anymore. I get all the Buffalo Big Four college basketball games along with Buffalo Bandits and UB football on television or ESPN plus streaming. There is no need for sports reporters anymore I saw the game and if I missed the game I can watch on archive so you don’t need a reporter anymore nor do you need WGR 550 anymore telling you what you just saw in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.