Idle, wishful speculation by Euro writer: Lukas Rousek "could" head back to Europe

Buffalonill

Buffalo Sabres prospect might be leaving the organization after just a year in North America. Klaus Zaugg of Swiss news outlet Watson reports that Lukas Rousek could be headed back to Europe, and has been identified by HC Ambri-Piotta as a potential replacement for former Ottawa Senator Filip Chlapik. Rousek, a 2019 sixth-rounder, had an impressive 2022-23 season for the Rochester Americans, scoring 56 points in 70 games. It was a major improvement from the four points in 19 games he posted last season and is more in line with how he played.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/04/minor-transactions-04-21-23.html

https://www.watson.ch/sport/blogs/268756082-ambris-bester-torschuetze-geht-aber-der-ersatz-darf-nicht-zu-teuer-sein

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

This is a thing you deal with when it comes to players who are comfortable playing overseas. It could be a negotiation ploy but in this case, the threat is real.

It may come down to the Sabres saying to him that he has a real shot at making the roster next season.  He clearly can play at the NHL level and we desperately need players like him in the bottom 6.  Biron on a recent podcast was discussing how much we really need guys like him to complete the roster.

KA has his work cut out for him deciding on the internal forward group this fall.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Interesting but not exactly surprising. Every time somebody speaks about Rousek they always speak very highly of him, either Paul Hamilton, Lance, or most recently Duffer and Marty with Kris Baker on the Sabres live podcast. Rousek is a top contributor on the Amerks and showed flashes with his speed and hands in his short time with the Sabres. 

But, it's obvious he doesn't fit in a top-6 role. And from what these guys say, is he's viewed as a bottom line, energy, "bulldog" type player. Maybe he doesn't view himself as a fourth liner and grinder and views himself as a top-6 and a guy who gets plenty of PP time?

I could see him not being happy with how the Sabres view him and go somewhere where he's much more comfortable playing hockey, even though, the glory and money is less.

His interview played during the game 1 intermission last night had him stating that it's been his dream to play in the NHL and he loved his experience in Buffalo last week. He said the best part is he doesn't change his game whether he was in the AHL and NHL and that's exactly what the Sabres bottom 6 needs. I'm guessing that as long as he is given a legit shot in camp, he'll be staying North America next season.

Given the Hinostroza UFA + leave situation to close the year and that Kulich is a kid, Rousek has the inside track at the 12/13 slot even with Savoie making the team out of camp. I'm thinking Rousek is a Sabre on opening day next season, and only gets sent down during the season if he's scuffling or needs to be playing everyday. But with injuries, I'd say he plays 40 NHL games.

• Like (+1) 4

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

It is an article from overseas where the writer is not reporting but laying out a dream scenario offseason. It includes luring Rousek back overseas to his former team.

It is no different then any of us saying we would like the Sabres to sign or trade for Power’s long term D partner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

His interview played during the game 1 intermission last night had him stating that it's been his dream to play in the NHL and he loved his experience in Buffalo last week. He said the best part is he doesn't change his game whether he was in the AHL and NHL and that's exactly what the Sabres bottom 6 needs. I'm guessing that as long as he is given a legit shot in camp, he'll be staying North America next season.

Given the Hinostroza UFA + leave situation to close the year and that Kulich is a kid, Rousek has the inside track at the 12/13 slot even with Savoie making the team out of camp. I'm thinking Rousek is a Sabre on opening day next season, and only gets sent down during the season if he's scuffling or needs to be playing everyday. But with injuries, I'd say he plays 40 NHL games.

Maybe it is a case of fulfilling the dream is complete and now he can focus on other things like being home? How important those things are to each player are different...

And if he does and wants to come back after the Sabre still hold his rights correct? Sort of like Pilut?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

It is an article from overseas where the writer is not reporting but laying out a dream scenario offseason. It includes luring Rousek back overseas to his former team.

It is no different then any of us saying we would like the Sabres to sign or trade for Power’s long term D partner.

I was just assuming it was some state run media, a league trying to influence it. 

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Screenshot2023-04-22110352.thumb.gif.f9c9bf51e114732b1fe7979ed35ab6c4.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, triumph_communes said:

He is poised to take on a third line role. Would be weird to see him ditch that opportunity. 

Exactly, if the NHL has been a goal of his then a couple of games is probably just a teaser. He seems to like the organization and they like him. They showed some faith by bringing him up to play while others were healthy scratched.

I don’t question anyone going back to Europe if they don’t like the grind in North America or if they have a need to be home.

• nfreeman changed the title to Idle, wishful speculation by Euro writer: Lukas Rousek "could" head back to Europe
46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is “pro hockey rumors” even a legit well regarded hockey news source? Or another in a long line of rumor sites that Buffalonill likes to follow and post the garbage as “real rumor news” here?

Keyword : Rumor-a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ba21786fe6c23215d

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Is “pro hockey rumors” even a legit well regarded hockey news source? Or another in a long line of rumor sites that Buffalonill likes to follow and post the garbage as “real rumor news” here?

It could be a hockey news blog, like Expected Buffalo or Noted Hockey or any of the other blogs out there.  There is often informed insight on those outlets but also a fair amount of speculation.

I did a Google translate of the article cited by Pro Hockey Rumors- here is the translation.

The line that suggests he is leaving the Sabres is here.  This is the lead sentence following another paragraph about Rousek.

After two years in America he plans to return to Europe.

There is no further discussion of the assertion; it simply states it as fact.  The are a couple of comments that question the statement (also translated):

image.thumb.png.c6cd2bc0d8fcfed7f52a626044260385.png

The assertion could be a translation issue, or it could be speculation or possibly a corruption of an idiom, but even the locals reading the article question it.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...or maybe you shouldn't waste everyone's time with misleading thread titles.

Eh... We don't really know how accurate the assertion in the German language article is.  It's stated as if it is a fact but we don't know the source nor are we familiar with the website or writer. 

It's led to some interesting discussion I think, both about Rousek and about foreign sources.

Ultimately, Rousek has a real shot in Buffalo this coming season or the following one.  KO’s time in Buffalo is coming to an end.  I believe KA views Rousek as KO’s replacement.  The only question is whether KO returns for next season.  If KO returns Rousek probably spends most of next season in Roch.  If KO moves on, Rousek makes the Sabres.

On 4/22/2023 at 12:56 PM, Flashsabre said:

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I think its probably close to this.  Writers need stuff to write about, and as we are learning over the past couple decades, but mostly over the last few years....the majority of people don't 'read' or 'watch' news for actual News, but they read/watch to see what they WANT to beleive presented to them as news.  If an overseas reporter is read by people who would like to think NHL prospects will come back to Europe, that is what they will be given.

On a slightly off topic note, the overall quality of articles/reporting is getting really bad. I don't just mean the partisan stuff, but actually what passes for a news article. I read this morning an article about a US based car company that the write 'projected' to have a new model coming out. Halfway through the article he gave reasons as to why it would be avaiable very shortly, but then ended the article saying why it might not even be produced.  How do people get stuff like that published, even on a web site?

Rumors are just rumors, until they are not. 

The reality is simple. Many Euro players come over for the chance of the big NHL money. If they are in the AHL they sometimes get less inspired by the whole experience. Many of them prefer the European lifestyle they left so if they aren't in the NHL making the big bucks and enjoying all the other perks and fame they consider going back to the lifestyle they left (and friends and family). It's really that simple. 

Whether Rousek wants to go back or is willing to stick it out and keep trying for the NHL at this point, is just a rumor.  Until it's not. 

• dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.