OT - AITAH?

Contempt

On 4/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, Contempt said:

There really isn't, I've been here for almost 30 years and haven't found anything I'd call really good. You'd be appalled at the atrocities that people serve up around this country called "Buffalo wings" or the like.  Everyone has their own regional specialty, Buffalo has wings and if people try to tell you different justifiably spit on them. 

A Philly steak in Buffalo is an abomination against God compared to what you get in Philly. There's no part of it that's "hard" but nobody gets it right.  Though, the cheesesteak is Philly's second best sandwich but that's a different conversation. Even within Philly there is debate upon what is proper. American, Provolone or Whiz. IMO each have their benefits. The better sandwich is roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe. If you ever come here and haven't had that, get it, and thank me later.

An underrated part of what makes it right it is roll and the roll relies on the water (wooder LOL) because baking is chemistry and that's different in each place. Wings should be easier, but somehow they aren't.

Where would you recommend for a good cheese steak. I went to the two that were across the street from each other and a bar near downtown who's name is escaping me ATM that a friend recommended and I wasn't a fan of them. Seemed like food you'd get at a sporting event. 

1 hour ago, Kr632 said:

Where would you recommend for a good cheese steak. I went to the two that were across the street from each other and a bar near downtown who's name is escaping me ATM that a friend recommended and I wasn't a fan of them. Seemed like food you'd get at a sporting event. 

The two across the street from each other aren't good. I mean they are what they are, it's not a fancy thing, but those two are hype over substance.

John's Roast Pork (that's the name of the place), D'Alessandro's, and Donkey's Place would probably be my choices. Donkeys is in Camden and comes on a different sort of roll. They also close early and Camden isn't a place to fiddle around after dark.

FWIW roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is a vastly superior sandwich and it's the one the tourists don't ask for.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, Buffalonill said:

57 percent prefer ranch, whereas 35 percent prefer blue cheese), which boasts a creamy texture that nicely complements the spiciness of hot wings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/best-wing-sauce-blue-cheese-ranch_n_2581566/amp

According to a GrubHub survey, “ranch dressing is five times more popular in chicken wing orders than blue cheese.” The answer is clear; ranch is the better choice.

https://foodsided.com/2018/07/27/ranch-blue-cheese-chicken-wings-dipping-sauce/#:~:text=According to a GrubHub survey,ranch is the better choice.

Back in the day I could make stats say anything I wanted.... puh

17 hours ago, Kr632 said:

Gaetano’s. I don’t know if there is an original location, but I went to a brand new one, in one of those dystopian apartment/business district/condo/fake town square things that are popping up everywhere, and my cheese steak was AWESOME.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Kr632 said:

Back in the day (25+ years ago) when I'd be in Philly several times a year, the Parkway Deli was the go to. It was walking distance to our usual hotel, which I'm seeing no longer exists... right by the art gallery.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just found this thread again.

• The Italian Roast Pork sandwich *is* vastly superior[0] to the cheesesteak; good call above
  • I used to go to an Italian place in Bridgeport (near King of Prussia) that had garlic bread cheesesteaks and three-cheese cheesesteaks; they'd let us combine those and it's amazing
  • Speaking of good sandwiches in Philly, Primo Hoagies is probably my favorite sub shop of all time; the Sharp Italian is amazing: perfect chewy roll, great cold cuts

[0] Some years ago, my motorcycle club did a Cheesesteak ride. Format was we picked out six places to try, ride to them, order two sandwiches, and then split them between us (roughly 10-12 people, so it made sense). The leader even had printed rating sheets for each and bolted a cutting board onto his luggage rack. At the last stop (Tony Luke's in South Philly), someone also got an Italian Pork to which I said, "Why haven't we been eating this all day?" I rarely ordered cheesesteak after that.

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

Some years ago, my motorcycle club did a Cheesesteak ride.

The bicycle groups around here frequently do taco rides.  There is a huge variety of tacos, and the best are nothing like what you get at Taco Bell and any Tex-Mex restaurant.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The bicycle groups around here frequently do taco rides.  There is a huge variety of tacos, and the best are nothing like what you get at Taco Bell and any Tex-Mex restaurant.

There’s something satisfying about a taco ride.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:53 PM, Contempt said:

The two across the street from each other aren't good. I mean they are what they are, it's not a fancy thing, but those two are hype over substance.

John's Roast Pork (that's the name of the place), D'Alessandro's, and Donkey's Place would probably be my choices. Donkeys is in Camden and comes on a different sort of roll. They also close early and Camden isn't a place to fiddle around after dark.

FWIW roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is a vastly superior sandwich and it's the one the tourists don't ask for.

I got that the first and only time I visited Philly, on the recommendation from someone (DiNic's).  I was underwhelmed.  I wish I'd gotten the cheesesteak instead.

30 minutes ago, MBD said:

I got that the first and only time I visited Philly, on the recommendation from someone (DiNic's).  I was underwhelmed.  I wish I'd gotten the cheesesteak instead.

Wrong. LOL. I don't know if I've had DiNic's, maybe it's not as good as the others I've had.

To be honest, cheesesteak (without onions) hits a very cheeseburger vibe with me, which is fine but not life-changing. I still travel back to Philly from time to time, and getting a cheesesteak isn't on my list of things to do (even taking into account I'm mostly vegan/vegetarian these days). I have had a Sharp Italian from Primo's though. 🙂

Edited by MattPie

21 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Wrong. LOL. I don't know if I've had DiNic's, maybe it's not as good as the others I've had.

To be honest, cheesesteak (without onions) hits a very cheeseburger vibe with me, which is fine but not life-changing. I still travel back to Philly from time to time, and getting a cheesesteak isn't on my list of things to do (even taking into account I'm mostly vegan/vegetarian these days). I have had a Sharp Italian from Primo's though. 🙂

I’m thinking you’ve had not very good ones, also.

And whyTF would you get a cheesesteak without onions?!😂

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

For me, the onions overpower the mushrooms and I'd rather taste the mushrooms.  But I do like one with onions once in a while, too.

Edited by Eleven

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I tried them from most of the places people talk about being good, plus Pat's and Geno's, lol. Still cheeseburger vibes. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

For me, the onions overpower the mushrooms and I'd rather taste the mushrooms.  But I do like one with onions once in a while, too.

Onions are terrible in most forms. They ruin a lot of dishes.

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I tried them from most of the places people talk about being good, plus Pat's and Geno's, lol. Still cheeseburger vibes. 🙂

Onions are terrible in most forms. They ruin a lot of dishes.

Isn’t that like going to the Anchor for wings? No wonder you get cheeseburger vibes.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Isn’t that like going to the Anchor for wings? No wonder you get cheeseburger vibes.

Yep, totally agreed. That why I said, "most of the places people talk about being good, plus Pat's and Geno's" 😉 (as in, I've gotten gotten wings from the good places, and the Anchor bar.)

• Like (+1) 1

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I grabbed a picture off the Tim and Bonnie's pizza Facebook page of their Steak Deluxe sub.

I'd like to try one side by side with a Philly Cheese steak because any time I've had one, I've always thought it can't get much better. 

IMG_20230502_173155.thumb.jpg.a254e633250bc8359d36093477ca8c08.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.