OT - AITAH?

Contempt

Given my posting history I'm sure most of you will reflexively say yes. Regardless. Went to BWW tonight with my boys. Ordered 30 wings to share amongst us. Counted the bones and got 28 wings. Nicely brought it to the to the waitress' attention who fixed it. Am I the AH for thinking if I bought 30 of something for more than a dollar each that I should actually receive the number I ordered??

Just now, Contempt said:

Given my posting history I'm sure most of you will reflexively say yes. Regardless. Went to BWW tonight with my boys. Ordered 30 wings to share amongst us. Counted the bones and got 28 wings. Nicely brought it to the to the waitress' attention who fixed it. Am I the AH for thinking if I bought 30 of something for more than a dollar each that I should actually receive the number I ordered??

No.  You're cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Depends on how many you’re sharing with. The more people, the less likely you are an AH.😁

9 minutes ago, Contempt said:

With the price of wings these days? You're good.

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

Depends on how many you’re sharing with. The more people, the less likely you are an AH.😁

3 people 30 wings. I'm paying for everyone.

The upshot is that it prompted stories about 15 cent wing night where my friends and I tried to do as much damage as possible that pivoted into my boys and I driving up to a 50 cent wing night in WNY where my boys and I actively try bankrupt the place. That will be fun and it might even be wife sanctioned.

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

The upshot is that it prompted stories about 15 cent wing night where my friends and I tried to do as much damage as possible that pivoted into my boys and I driving up to a 50 cent wing night in WNY where my boys and I actively try bankrupt the place. That will be fun and it might even be wife sanctioned.

Make It Rain Money GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Contempt said:

YTA for going to BWW...that place sucks. 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

YTA for going to BWW...that place sucks. 😂

When you live in suburban Philly you do what you need to do.  If you learn how to order properly it's tolerable, but's it's not even close to the real thing.  To be fair if I go to B-Lo and order a cheesesteak what I will get is crap compared to what I get in Philly.

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

Make It Rain Money GIF

I've got a high school shot put thrower, a middle school shot thrower/football player and me. The game we used to play in HS was whoever ate the most wings on 15 cent night didn't have to pay and everyone else split the check equally. My boys both have jobs so they need to bring cash to play the game. Let's see if either can take me down. I lost once in HS, LOL. I'd love to drive to Big Tree, eat a stupid amount of wings, and have my kids pick up the tab. LOL

21 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Since it’s chicken wings I give it a pass. 

16 minutes ago, Contempt said:

When you live in suburban Philly you do what you need to do.  If you learn how to order properly it's tolerable, but's it's not even close to the real thing.  To be fair if I go to B-Lo and order a cheesesteak what I will get is crap compared to what I get in Philly.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but the Canadian BWW use wings that have clearly been injected with whatever that filler stuff they use in cheap frozen chicken breasts (meat protein?). It really doesn't get much worse.

Making decent wings isn't rocket science.

Basically, if you can find a corner bar that has decent sized wings, fries them well, shakes in a simple Frank's and butter mix, you're lightyears ahead of any chain restaurant. Gotta be a place in somewhere in Philly that can do that. 

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

if you can find a corner bar that has decent sized wings, fries them well, shakes in a simple Frank's and butter mix, you're lightyears ahead of any chain restaurant. Gotta be a place in somewhere in Philly that can do that. 

The further you get away from Buffalo, the bigger that IF gets.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but the Canadian BWW use wings that have clearly been injected with whatever that filler stuff they use in cheap frozen chicken breasts (meat protein?). It really doesn't get much worse.

Making decent wings isn't rocket science.

Basically, if you can find a corner bar that has decent sized wings, fries them well, shakes in a simple Frank's and butter mix, you're lightyears ahead of any chain restaurant. Gotta be a place in somewhere in Philly that can do that. 

There really isn't, I've been here for almost 30 years and haven't found anything I'd call really good. You'd be appalled at the atrocities that people serve up around this country called "Buffalo wings" or the like.  Everyone has their own regional specialty, Buffalo has wings and if people try to tell you different justifiably spit on them. 

A Philly steak in Buffalo is an abomination against God compared to what you get in Philly. There's no part of it that's "hard" but nobody gets it right.  Though, the cheesesteak is Philly's second best sandwich but that's a different conversation. Even within Philly there is debate upon what is proper. American, Provolone or Whiz. IMO each have their benefits. The better sandwich is roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe. If you ever come here and haven't had that, get it, and thank me later.

An underrated part of what makes it right it is roll and the roll relies on the water (wooder LOL) because baking is chemistry and that's different in each place. Wings should be easier, but somehow they aren't.

Edited by Contempt

54 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I live in south jersey…a couple of decent places over here…Jay’s Elbow Room, Jug Handle Inn and PJ Whelihand’s.  If you haven’t been over all are worth a try

17 minutes ago, Contempt said:

There really isn't, I've been here for almost 30 years and haven't found anything I'd call really good. You'd be appalled at the atrocities that people serve up around this country called "Buffalo wings" or the like.  Everyone has their own regional specialty, Buffalo has wings and if people try to tell you different justifiably spit on them. 

A Philly steak in Buffalo is an abomination against God compared to what you get in Philly. There's no part of it that's "hard" but nobody gets it right.  Though, the cheesesteak is Philly's second best sandwich but that's a different conversation. Even within Philly there is debate upon what is proper. American, Provolone or Whiz. IMO each have their benefits. The better sandwich is roast pork with provolone and broccoli rabe. If you ever come here and haven't had that, get it, and thank me later.

An underrated part of what makes it right it is roll and the roll relies on the water (wooder LOL) because baking is chemistry and that's different in each place. Wings should be easier, but somehow they aren't.

I've spent many a year rowing on the Schuylkill and eating many a steak in my day. 

While I can't vouch for the authenticity, the steak subs at Tim and Bonnie's pizza in Ellicottville are pretty darn good. Used to get them at the Springville location too when they used to be Blasdell pizza and they were the same back then. Always get mine with Provolone as I did back when I'd frequent Philly.

Here in Canada, Philly Cheese Steaks are really what you would call an abomination. Think a minimal amount of steak, not very finely chopped, topped with big chunky sliced fried green peppers and onions that were fried separately than the steak. Provolone??? What's that?! Terrible!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Billssabres33 said:

I live in south jersey…a couple of decent places over here…Jay’s Elbow Room, Jug Handle Inn and PJ Whelihand’s.  If you haven’t been over all are worth a try

I've been to several PJ Whelihan's including the original one on Haddon Ave. They are fine. Nothing comparable to an actual wing from Buffalo. Like I said, you do what you need to do to get a fix and you forget what actual "good" is until you go home and have something that's really good. Bar Bill and PJ's are not the same product.

Edited by Contempt

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

You ask your buddies to empty their pockets to make sure someone wasn’t trying to pocket the 2 missing wings? 

Lol, no I didn't ask my children to empty their pockets, but we did count wings and line them up because I knew it felt short as we were eating. I knew how many I had eaten, and I quickly counted my youngest son's pile and knew my older son's pile wasn't that much bigger. Counted up, got 28.

13 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I've been to several PJ Whelihan's including the original one on Haddon Ave. They are fine. Nothing comparable to an actual wing from Buffalo. Like I said, you do what you need to do to get a fix and you forget what actual "good" is until you go home and have something that's really good. Bar Bill and PJ's are not the same product.

As you know, Whelihans has a bunch of locations so it is a fallback for me when traveling in the area… I agree not the same.  We were in Buffalo for the Green Bay game this year and went to my favorite place… can anyone tell me where this is?

DE7BBC33-8099-4780-A68E-02A27CFA247C.jpeg

Edited by Billssabres33

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

an abomination against God

Funny you used this phrase.  Earlier today I had a long layover in Dallas on my way home.  I’m at the bar of an airport restaurant and the guy next to me orders Buffalo style bonless wings and ranch dressing, and the exact phrase that immediately came to my mind was, an abomination against God.  For both the boneless wings and the children’s dip he ordered with it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.