Sabres vs. Bruins analysis

Corp000085

Positives:

-The sabres are a much FASTER team as a whole. They seem to get the puck down the ice quickly.

-Afinogenov is either really streaky and is on a high right now, or the kid is in the beginning of his breakout year. He's looked like the real deal these last two games. Miroslav who?

-Millertime. Ryan played great last night. he didn't give up any softies like he did vs. the islanders. That one goal that the bruins scored was the result of a perfectly executed faceoff play.

-3rd period grit. Haven't seen this since the 99 playoff year... that's 6 years people... In both games, the sabres scored key 3rd period goals and were able to shut down the opposing momentum.

-shots on goal. they got over 40 last night.

Negatives:

-their backchecking was suspect.

-slow start

All in all, i'm very positive about the team right now. Hopefully they can keep this going tonight... If you can recall, they went 2-0 a few years ago only to lose the next 15 or so games in a row. The sabres need to keep this momentum up and play a good road game tonight.

All in all, i'm very positive about the team right now.? Hopefully they can keep this going tonight...? If you can recall, they went 2-0 a few years ago only to lose the next 15 or so games in a row.? The sabres need to keep this momentum up and play a good road game tonight.

Hopefully they are painfully aware of that 2-0 start. I suppose it's possible for them to lose 10 in a row, but I doubt it. More likely, the scenario is, if they play like they had in the last two games, they are going to make a lot of prognosticators look pretty silly...

I like the fact that they have beaten two good teams. Tonight is another level, no doubt, and playing consecutive nights against a rested Ottawa team is a bad combo, but everyone will face that at points during the season.

For the first few weeks, I think we are going to see the Sabres have an edge on some teams because they are essentially the same bunch that finished the last season strong and they like playing together. A lot of these teams that are supposed to be so improved , like Pittsburgh, are going to take time to come together, so the Sabres need to take advantage of that now. It may even out by New Year's, but there's no reason this team can't fight for a playoff spot.

"The play that Thomas made there was a superstar play," Dumont said. "It's the kind of play you don't teach."

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051008/1020220.asp

The Sabres finally solved Bruins goalie Andrew Raycroft on Dumont's power-play goal 7:05 into the second period. Vanek dangled the puck, then passed from the bottom of the left circle, through the crease to Dumont 3 feet outside the right post. Raycroft couldn't slide over fast enough, and Dumont pumped in his second goal.

"There was a big play by Danny Briere just to get it to Thomas down low," Dumont said. "Everybody else would have tried to make a pass right away. The goalie went down and got up again, and then (Vanek) gave me a perfect pass. They forgot about me. I was there by myself."

I am dying to see this pass from Vanek to Dumont on the first goal.

I went last night. Notes on the game.

The ice was even worse than on Wednesday. The Sabres seemed to try a lot of drop passes and tended not to leave the puck quite where it was supposed to be. If they could have gotten those a little cleaner, they could have had 50 or 60 shots, as they tended to break up the rhythm of several rushes.

The Bruins D seemed to be slow but did a very effective job of gaining position in front of their net and keeping the Sabres away from the front. Sabres got some shots down low but they tended to be at bad angles. Also, Bruins D did very effective job of pinning Sabres to the boards without really grabbing them. Raycraft was very solid. Had no chance on Dumont's goal.

Sabres seemed to do a good job keeping Thornton away from the front of the net. They played a very disciplined game. Sabres did very good job of getting forwards back when the D pinched.

The Bruins seemed to be especially effective at getting players off the ice before the puck could be touched at the other end on icings. The Sabres did not do that as well and had some tired skaters after a couple of the icings.

Crowd announced at just under 14,000. Actual was closer to 9,000. Corporate seats and 300 level corners were empty. Game pace and crowd intensity were both lower than opening night. Concession stands are slower than ever (they have a lot of new faces as I am sure a lot of the old veterans didn't come back after a year off), you CANNOT get a beer and get back to your seat during a TV timeout. At least not in the nose bleeds. Keep that in mind for reference. It usually gets better in early November, I sure hope so.

Here's my take on how the Sabres performed, in no particular order.

Ryan had a very solid night. He was voted 1st star and deserved it. Made a real nice save on Bergeron on a sh breakaway. My only concern with him is that (for the 2nd game in a row) he had a tendency to give up HUGE rebounds on shots from his left side. The Isles scored their 1st goal on one of those, and the Sabres did a good job of getting to those rebounds before the Bruins could. This could be trouble against Ottawa. Other than that, as mentioned, he was SOLID. He didn't give up many, if any, rebounds from the other side.

Jay McKee was a force once again. He blocked 2 sure goals. One in the 1st and one in the 3rd. Did not get one of the 3 stars, but deserved it. Next to Ryan, he was the best player on the ice.

Mike Grier played a solid game and made the 3 stars. He was especially strong on penalty kill.

Peters actually got to play (3 shifts). Has better speed than I expected. Tended to manage to get the puck on his stick on each shift he was out. Also has a tendency to make blind backhand passes when he gets the puck. Almost as if he's thinking "I don't want this, I want to hit someone and I can't if they are hitting me."

Gaustad played very well again. Had a shorthanded breakaway and was stoned. Played physical and effectively. If only this guy had hands.

Dumont scored first goal on pp, set up by Vanek. Voted 2nd star.

Campbell had a couple of intercepted clearing attempts in his own end. Other than that played well.

Connolly had one bad play that led to Bergeron's breakaway. Other than that, I thought he played well (I know DeLuca doesn't agree, but oh, well). He definitely played well vs. my expectations.

Vanek played well again.

Max seems to be taking to the new rules well and got another goal.

Lydman still had some mistakes but did not appear as nervous as Wednesday. He is shaping up to be odd man out candidate when Kalinen is healthy again.

Tallinder had issues on a couple of clears (similar to Campbell) but seemed to play well in offensive zone.

Rory was solid, but seemed to get caught pinching in offensive zone. Forwards were doing a good job to get back for him. I was slightly disappointed in his play but not terribly.

Numminen seems to be a good pickup thus far. Tended to be paired with Campbell.

Strong games from Drury and Kotalik. Pyatt had a couple of wrap around chances. Teaming him up with Gaustad seems to be working. I can't wait to see those two teamed up with Mair.

Briere was solid but unspectacular. Ditto for Hecht although in the 1st he seemed to have issues getting the puck out of the zone on 1 or 2 shifts.

Archived